fear

ubejinxed

i've been contemplating fear a lot recently.

i mean what makes some people able to do things that others wouldn't even consider, and why does my level of fear seem to escalate as i get older? is it that i don't have as much desire? or that i actually realize my mortality, or that with age i don't have as much confidence in completing it?

i think having the confidence that you can do something has a huge impact on doing risky or fear inspiring things without hurting youself.

i know some people who seem to have no fear and if they do have one fear they try to all activities involving that very same thing and enjoy all activites that are life threatening.

i personally have a very healthy dose of fear when it comes to thrilling activites such as sky diving, motorcycle tricks etc. but have less fear in other aspects. ingrained or inherited?

i dunno, my thoughts on fear are all muddled up. anyways dicuss your thoughts on fear or any story about it. .. ?

ok this is a stupid idea for a thread.

umm ok.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

some things just dont scare me:

I did a broad daylight bomb on the way to work today

some things do scare me for no good reason:

I didnt go talk to some clients in the supermarket because I had nothing to say.

I never have nothing to say, but there was nothing to say to them.

I'm afraid of making an ass out of myself.

That's my biggest fear. I can make a fool out out myself no probalo,

but to make an ass.... that's different.

i would say fear is ingrained. it increases with risk.

but then again, there's a fine line between having balls, and just being plain stupid.

it's different for every person. for example: my mom loves roller coasters, while i'm scared shitless of them. i don't know why i'm scared to be on them...it's not like i think i'm gonna fall out and die.

"i think having the confidence that you can do something has a huge impact on doing risky or fear inspiring things without hurting youself. "

this is a good point. i wouldn't think twice to jump 10 stairs on my skateboard...while somebody else might think i'm crazy.

"why does my level of fear seem to escalate as i get older?"

it's the opposite for me. when i was in grade school i was afraid to even go on the slide. by the time i left grade school i was jumping off of it.

this is an interesting topic. i'd like to hear some other responses.

hopefully i wasn't completely off topic.

Fear can really fuck up your life. That and complacency.

I've been thinking about it a lot over the past year.

I'm considering doing a couple things that used to rank pretty high on the fear list. Start small and work up to the big stuff. Gotta have those small victories before you can win the war.

indeed, not moving forward can really hurt you..

i guess fear and risk are so closely tied.

but some people have incredible control over fear, that it makes them seem unstoppable.

and who decides the line between stupidity and fearless? probably experience and ability to control the situation.

i feel bad for people who are afraid of everything. i have one friend who won't even ride airplanes..

and my fear has definitely increased as i've gotten older. i'm not talking about grade school i'm talking about high school to now (25). maybe i have more to loose?

fear, risk and self worth are all very closely tied. some of the people that I know that were truly fearless...were fearless because they honestly didn't care what happened to them. they tended to be the destiny types and believed they could pretty much do anything. fear and risk weren't factors...because destiny ruled all.

Senior year in high school i was informed of this really sick clean pool that had recently been drained, and was pretty much chill to go skate. Now, im not much when it comes to pool skating but for what ever reason i felt i might as well try and tap the loveseat of the pool, just to have a high point for the day. Anyways, i some how managed to slip coming back down and hit my tail bone so hard that i lost my breath for a good minute or two. Later that night i took a shit and there was a good portion of blood in it.. that was the last time i was really scared.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dunno, fear and sense of risk are two totally different things for me. I'm usually not afraid to do something that i know it could bring good stuff for me if i succeed, or if i just believe in it for the moment. The other category is reenforcing your insecurities and boosting your confidence by overcoming fear...the kind of fix a banjee jump gives you means shit to me..you always want more and one day you just brake something or loose your life over dumb shit...so many ghetto kids that are suposed to have balls just do anything cause they got nothing to lose...i guess the worst fear is the fear of being bored or boring...always a bad advisor

The mother'effin ocean.

Jelly-fish, fucking suck and their stings hurt badly.

Sharks, how am I to fight something like that?

Eels, creepy looking ocean-gangsters.

Then the fact that you even have to watch out for shit the size of a bus (Killer whales, Free Willy my ass. More like free mouth full of giant fucking teeth in my ass.)

Also, It bothers me that at certain points in the ocean, you can't see the bottom.

Having 180 degrees in every direction in which something can attack you without it being seen scares the shit out of my bum.

Originally posted by Glik0

The mother'effin ocean.

Jelly-fish, fucking suck and their stings hurt badly.

Sharks, how am I to fight something like that?

Eels, creepy looking ocean-gangsters.

Then the fact that you even have to watch out for shit the size of a bus (Killer whales, Free Willy my ass. More like free mouth full of giant fucking teeth in my ass.)

Also, It bothers me that at certain points in the ocean, you can't see the bottom.

Having 180 degrees in every direction in which something can attack you without it being seen scares the shit out of my bum.

truth. i love the ocean but it definitely deserves it's due fear and respect.

I'm scared of rotten fruit and vegetables and I'm not really sure why. Someday I will put a lot of thought into this and hopefully get over it.

Grab a fuzzy mushlump that was once a tomato and swarms of fruit flies sail out of the box.

grat topic UBE... always come through in the clutch girlfraaan.

:lol:

i have tons of fears:

-groups of people i dont know

-ghetto black people i dont know in places im not familiar with

-making an ass out of myself in front of certain people

-starting new jobs

-talking in front of large groups of people

-roller coasters

-failure

-life (not knowing what im going to do with / in it)

-BEING BANNED.

-or worse... CONDEMNED. :eek:

-being in a room with a bunch of people close together (closterphobic)

-not performing well in bed the first time with a new girl.

i have tons of fears, and im anxious a lot of the time to. it sucks. but then again i have a lot of things that i do really well. like get my post on. hahaha

im outski

Fear of a social nature has always been something i have been able to adapt to in a fairly short amount of time. What causes me to knock in my boots one time would probably be lightly brushed off as a minor annoyance the next (such as when I used to buy smut magazines: total fear of being caught buying that stuff at first and then total indifference to being seen buying CLUB the next)

Fear of a life threatening sort is a different matter. i value my life and well-being to the point where I will point blank refuse to do something even at the peril of massive peer resentment.

I recently hiked 99% of the way to the top of half dome in Yosemite and for those that have made this trek, you know about the dreaded "cables" you have to scale at the very end. I wouldn't climb that shit even though my cousins and my friend all did it. I simply did not want to suffer a 2000 ft drop to either side simply to say "hey, i did it."

If the risk is too great, my fear kicks in and then it's over.

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

good call man, one of your best yet. fuck a theo.

You really do have low expectations if "Because you never dumbed down a thread." and "Oh wait. Probation on a fucking internet message board?" are what you consider "good calls". :lol:

Go finish your research on whether or not blowjobs cause pregnancies.

Originally posted by Glik0

awesome, glad you sound so incredibly intelligent now.

Because you never dumbed down a thread.

Oh wait. Probation on a fucking internet message board?

Clap clap.

Calm down, I didn't think you'd get so offended!

And yes, "Probation on a fucking internet message board."

Congratulations. You've just completed step one.

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

you are ruining this young ladies thread theo.

please shut the fuck up already because youre super lame.

stupid fucktard.

Wow, somebody's got their panties in a bunch.

"Lame" is when someone poses for the internet as a member of the Village People with their topless bird-chest body in a construction hat and a tool belt, looking as homosexual as possible.

Originally posted by Tesseract

I dunno, fear and sense of risk are two totally different things for me. I'm usually not afraid to do something that i know it could bring good stuff for me if i succeed, or if i just believe in it for the moment. The other category is reenforcing your insecurities and boosting your confidence by overcoming fear...the kind of fix a banjee jump gives you means shit to me..you always want more and one day you just brake something or loose your life over dumb shit...so many ghetto kids that are suposed to have balls just do anything cause they got nothing to lose...i guess the worst fear is the fear of being bored or boring...always a bad advisor

oh this is right on.

i don't have a fear of something/risk that can potentially get me somwhere, like giving up my current career in favor of something unknown that i may potentially enjoy much more.

but i am very fearful of things that you participate in just for the sake of creating fear in yourself, like bungee jumping. that sort of fearlessness could be used is such a more useful manner.

Archived