Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

fear

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ubejinxed, Jun 29, 2004.

1. ubejinxed

ubejinxed Veteran Member

i've been contemplating fear a lot recently.

i mean what makes some people able to do things that others wouldn't even consider, and why does my level of fear seem to escalate as i get older? is it that i don't have as much desire? or that i actually realize my mortality, or that with age i don't have as much confidence in completing it?

i think having the confidence that you can do something has a huge impact on doing risky or fear inspiring things without hurting youself.

i know some people who seem to have no fear and if they do have one fear they try to all activities involving that very same thing and enjoy all activites that are life threatening.

i personally have a very healthy dose of fear when it comes to thrilling activites such as sky diving, motorcycle tricks etc. but have less fear in other aspects. ingrained or inherited?

i dunno, my thoughts on fear are all muddled up. anyways dicuss your thoughts on fear or any story about it. .. ?

ok this is a stupid idea for a thread.

umm ok.

2. ElectricitySucks

ElectricitySucks Veteran Member

actaully. wow. very good topic...i never even thought about that before...

...another very good point.

great. now you get me going crazy about this shit.

3. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

some things just dont scare me:
    I did a broad daylight bomb on the way to work today

some things do scare me for no good reason:
    I didnt go talk to some clients in the supermarket because I had nothing to say.
    I never have nothing to say, but there was nothing to say to them.

I'm afraid of making an ass out of myself.
    That's my biggest fear. I can make a fool out out myself no probalo,
    but to make an ass.... that's different.

4. Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut Elite Member

i would say fear is ingrained. it increases with risk.
    but then again, there's a fine line between having balls, and just being plain stupid.
    it's different for every person. for example: my mom loves roller coasters, while i'm scared shitless of them. i don't know why i'm scared to be on them...it's not like i think i'm gonna fall out and die.

"i think having the confidence that you can do something has a huge impact on doing risky or fear inspiring things without hurting youself. "
    this is a good point. i wouldn't think twice to jump 10 stairs on my skateboard...while somebody else might think i'm crazy.

"why does my level of fear seem to escalate as i get older?"
    it's the opposite for me. when i was in grade school i was afraid to even go on the slide. by the time i left grade school i was jumping off of it.

this is an interesting topic. i'd like to hear some other responses.
    hopefully i wasn't completely off topic.

5. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

Fear can really fuck up your life. That and complacency.
    I've been thinking about it a lot over the past year.

I'm considering doing a couple things that used to rank pretty high on the fear list. Start small and work up to the big stuff. Gotta have those small victories before you can win the war.

6. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

I try not to be afraid. I feel like if I'm afraid in my own city that I might as well live in a bullet proof case. I wish I had the balls to bomb in daylight.

7. ubejinxed

ubejinxed Veteran Member

indeed, not moving forward can really hurt you..

i guess fear and risk are so closely tied.

but some people have incredible control over fear, that it makes them seem unstoppable.

and who decides the line between stupidity and fearless? probably experience and ability to control the situation.

i feel bad for people who are afraid of everything. i have one friend who won't even ride airplanes..

and my fear has definitely increased as i've gotten older. i'm not talking about grade school i'm talking about high school to now (25). maybe i have more to loose?

8. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

fear, risk and self worth are all very closely tied. some of the people that I know that were truly fearless...were fearless because they honestly didn't care what happened to them. they tended to be the destiny types and believed they could pretty much do anything. fear and risk weren't factors...because destiny ruled all.

9. Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut Elite Member

good point stone cold.
    another factor could be laziness...because often i'm not afraid to do something...i'm just lazy as hell.

10. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

Senior year in high school i was informed of this really sick clean pool that had recently been drained, and was pretty much chill to go skate. Now, im not much when it comes to pool skating but for what ever reason i felt i might as well try and tap the loveseat of the pool, just to have a high point for the day. Anyways, i some how managed to slip coming back down and hit my tail bone so hard that i lost my breath for a good minute or two. Later that night i took a shit and there was a good portion of blood in it.. that was the last time i was really scared.

11. duh-rye-won

duh-rye-won Member

i'm a little claustrophobic. i ain't skerred of dying, but i'm skerred of being trapped in a elevator with someone who smells. that shit freaks me the FUCK out!

12. I dunno, fear and sense of risk are two totally different things for me. I'm usually not afraid to do something that i know it could bring good stuff for me if i succeed, or if i just believe in it for the moment. The other category is reenforcing your insecurities and boosting your confidence by overcoming fear...the kind of fix a banjee jump gives you means shit to me..you always want more and one day you just brake something or loose your life over dumb shit...so many ghetto kids that are suposed to have balls just do anything cause they got nothing to lose...i guess the worst fear is the fear of being bored or boring...always a bad advisor

13. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

14. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

The mother'effin ocean.

Jelly-fish, fucking suck and their stings hurt badly.
    Sharks, how am I to fight something like that?
    Eels, creepy looking ocean-gangsters.
    Then the fact that you even have to watch out for shit the size of a bus (Killer whales, Free Willy my ass. More like free mouth full of giant fucking teeth in my ass.)

Also, It bothers me that at certain points in the ocean, you can't see the bottom.

Having 180 degrees in every direction in which something can attack you without it being seen scares the shit out of my bum.

15. duh-rye-won

duh-rye-won Member

truth. i love the ocean but it definitely deserves it's due fear and respect.