Fear and Loathing

Milton

I am quite a bit late, no need to tell me.

Johnny Depps god-awful take on Hunter S. Thompson is making me want to hurt myself. Why did they ruin the wonderful book like this?

A few questions related to the book/movie:

1) Do people still use ether?

2) Does adrenocrine actually exist?

3) Was his attorney actually an attorney?

etc.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I don't think the movie does the book justice on several counts.

1) The book is full of Thompson's personal and social commentary, it's virtually lost in the movie except where it is sprinkled awkwardly between scenes.

2) The movie tries too hard to recreate the feeling of the book and does so by exaggerating subtle parts of the book. Case in point, the doctor at the drug convention, they make him look like this complete weirdo, but in the book he's entirely more subtle.

3) Two of the best parts of the book are utterly left out of the movie: the part where they are discussing the "American dream" and the manage of the restaurant sends them to the Psychiatric Hospital; the scene where they convince the police officer that in LA there are cults that are killing people on a daily basis.

4) Johnny Depp is not smart enough to pull off Hunter S. Thompson. His attempt at portraying Thompson is completely unconvincing.

There's more but I have work to do...

Originally posted by BadWithNames@Oct 15 2005, 06:04 AM

nah im almost certain he existed. his name was oscar or something like that

i read an interview where hunter explained that he wanted to have his name put in the book but hunter refused because of who he was.

Wait a minute... That shit was a true story??? :huh2:

Milton your trippin', ive also read the book tahn seen the movie and yes it's true books are always better the film was damn close to perfect too, it kept extremely close to the book and was pretty funny/cool, Depp did do a great impression of him and Del Toro was also good. You couldn't really get a better director to direct this type of film than Terry Gilliam, the film was awesome and your opinion sucks.

Eat my shorts bitch!

I don't know, I think it's commendable that they would try to turn the book into a movie, but I think they bit off more than they could chew so to speak. I hadn't heard that Depp and Thompson lived together, wasn't Thompson more than 30 years older? I just read the book to be a lot more arrogant in tone than the movie??

Please explain to me how one's opinion can "suck"? My opinion may be different from yours, it may be less educated than yours, but I fail to see how it "sucks." I wasn't impressed by the movie, however I was particularly impressed by the book. Period. If there is disagreement as to how large the disparity between book and movie is that's fine. I believe the book to be substantially superior to the movie. Feel free to tell me that my grammar sucks as well.

really...if you read that book, its a cunt of a job to put that into film...i thought it pulled it off pretty well....

and yes ether is still about...met some student hunter s copycat with a bottle of it at a afterparty....big brown lab jug, oooft...sit back down!

rip hunter s

:king:

I don't know, your grammar seems to be much better than Shaolin's.

Yes, there was a difference of about thirty years. Depp moved in with him (and his family) to prepare for the role. I definitely see what you're saying about the tone of the book as compared to the movie, but I still think it was a pretty great interpretation.

And yeah, SF, my understanding is that that book is loosely based on Thompson's perception of the actual trip. A lot of it is exaggerated and/or fictionalized to serve as a metaphor for what he thought to be a particularly fucked up point in American history, but he really did go on that trip and do most of that shit.

Hunter S. Thompson was a fucked up dude.

Guest drewWrite

no movie ever does the original book justice.

that said, the movie is the best adaption i've ever witnessed.

also, i used to not like johnnny depp.

until i watched that movie. that was his best roll.

i don't agree with your view at all.

diff'rent strokes i guess

hahahahaha. I remember I made a thread about the movie a little while back and said I thought it sucked....couple of people got all pissy about it...

I don't understand all the fuss about that movie. or the book.....

From what I understand it's just him and his attorney getting fucked up in Vegas, and Thompson is supposed to be covering a race or something...

Is that it? I mean does the book have some subtle message or anything? Or is just pages and pages of nonsense?

thread on this topic #59405834085.

i sometimes consider myself a big fan of thompson's work and ive read fear and loathing 7? times and seen the movie many, many times. however, bottom line- the book is always better than the movie. cmon. no need to get on here and tell us that.

i do think the movie is very good and in comparison to most books made into movies, fear and loathing does follow the same line. but like many other people have said, your not going to be able to fit everything from the book into the movie.

anyone know whats going on with the making of the rum diaries? del toro is directing it and depp is playing thompson, again. the rum diary is not like fear and loathing though.

my bottom line: the movie kicked ass but the book kicked the movie's ass.

Originally posted by harvey wallbanger@Oct 15 2005, 12:15 AM

People still do, real drug, and real attorney.

Adrenochrome was essentially an urban legend. Although it exists, it has no effects in man. The semicarbazone is the only form that is active, and then only by injection, and not in as exciting of ways as portrayed in the movie, certainly. Whatever he was doing and wrote about was not adrenochrome, although it makes for an interesting piece of fiction.

A mixture of ether and heptane / hexane is still done by teenagers all over the country thanks to bad information floating around the internet. The bad information claims that the ether fraction can be seperated from the mixture of it and heptane in starting fluid by adding water, shaking, and collecting the organic portion. This is supposed to work because of different solubilities of the two organics. The problem is, of those two, heptane / hexane is only something like .01% soluble in water, whereas ether is around 5% soluble. If anything, these instructions are purifying the heptane, not the ether.

Some people are still buying real ether though, it is pretty easy to find online and not regulated in any way, so ordering a jar isn't a problem, although it is expensive.

biggus, you lost me after adrenochrome

ive heard stories of guys in vietnam sucking down the adrenaline glands of fellow soon-to-be fallen soldiers, and then going on crazy rampages mumbling 'charlie' while chewing on their own tongues.

I really doubt there is any truth in these stories, but it sounds really cool.

adrenochrome or whatever does not exist as a drug, it was made up by thompson

his attorney was based on oscar zeta acosta a real attorney and one of the leaders of the brown movement.

depp spent several months living in thompsons bsement and following him around...thompson really does speak in short spurts with pauses...maybe not when he was younger but certainly in his later years depp does exaggerate a bit though...and both the movie and the book are great. Rum diaries is probably my favorite, curse of lono is an easy read as well.

and rum diaries is still in pre production...rent or buy breakfast with hunter if you want to get a glimpse of what he was really like.