fear and loathing in las vegas appreciation thread

cultural me

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

" The thing to do-when you're running along about a hundred or so and you suddenly find a red-flashing CHP -tracker on your trail-what youi want to do is accelerate. Never pull over with the first siren howl. Mash it down and make the bastard chase you at speeds up to 120 all the way to the next exit. He will follow. But he wont know what to make of your blinker that says you're about to turn right.

This is to let him know your looking for a proper place to pull off and talk... keep signaling and hope for and offramp....abnd the trick at this point is to suddenly leave the freeway and tam him into the chute at no less than a houndered miles and hour.

He will lovk his brakes about the same time you lock yours, but it will take him a moment to realize that hes about to make a 180 degree turn a this speed... but you will be ready for it, braced for the G's and fast heel-toe work, and with any luck at al you will have come to a complete stop off the road at the top of the turn and be standing beside your automobile by the time he catches up.

He will not be reasonable at first... but no matter...Let him unwind; keep smiling. The idea isto show him that you were always in total control of yourself and the vehicle - while he lost control of everything."

Originally posted by SRGUN GNRAL

has anyone ever seen the first part of this movie it is called "where the buffalo roam" with bill murray and it is crazy funk jazz dope illin nah meee for the 2003 recognize homa

I have. Where the buffalo roam is much better adaptation of Hunter S Thompson and Bill Murray plays a better role than Johnny Depp.

Originally posted by SRGUN GNRAL

has anyone ever seen the first part of this movie it is called "where the buffalo roam" with bill murray and it is crazy funk jazz dope illin nah meee for the 2003 recognize homa

uh... technically it wasn't any sort of 'first part' but... I got to meet Bill Murray (and Brian Doyle) when he was preparing for the role... I was just a small kid so, when I first saw him I just turned around and said: "LOOK DAD! IT'S MEATBALLS!!!!"

Anywho, he would follow Hunter around and repeat everything he said, completely nuts... like Hunter had some crazy ass delay hooked to his voice. I believe that time nearly killed Layla (Hunter's girlfriend)... Murray's portrayal is pretty dead on...

Also, a little known fact, though oft sited by me here, is that Hunter is a pack rat, he saves EVERYTHING, so, part of Johnny Depp's deal was that he got to meet Hunter, which is something Hunter doesn't like to do, but, after talking a bit Hunter actually took a shine to JD and graced him by taking him to a closet and presenting him with the actual outfit he wore over the Fear and Loathing weekend. The clothes Johnny wears are Hunter's ACTUAL clothes... there's another story abuot how JD begged to borrow Hunter's old green (peacock shit covered) Volvo, JD let Hunter drive some rental hot rod (Ferrari or someshit) and Hunter ran his errands... While at the liquor store Hunter realized he'd left his check book in his own car, but found Johnny's in the rental, so he simply forged Johnny Depp's name on the check... of course, the liquor store owner knew Hunter and Johnny didn'twant any beef... still, I wish I had such a luxury...

You guys should check out the 'spoken word' or, uh, 'book on tape' version of Fear and Loathing in LV... it has Jake Jarmusch (voice of Gonzo), Harry Dean Santon (MUCH PROPS TO HARRY DEAN! as the voice of 'narrator') and Maury Chaykin (as whats-his-nuts the lawyer)... it came out on Margaritaville records in '96...

and when I say 'check out' I mean BUY!

I am sick and fucking tired of all you kazaa/napster dorks eating up my damn ASCAP checks... you dick heads have cost me approx $4,000 in the last 3 years.

which brings me to another topic that we're gonna be cracking down on around here...

Smart: If I like something I pay money for it. I download stuff off the internet, but if I really like it, I support the cause. It's always better to have the DVD case, or the CD case to your music.... or the sleeve for the vinyl, whatever. On top of that, I don't have the harddisk space to be keeping and downloading all kinds of bullcrap.

nah, I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in particular... just saying, 4 years ago my check enabled me to buy a truly nice handmade guitar, over the last 3 years I'd be lucky to buy 5 people dinner at Arby's... and it's not because the demand for the songs has gone away...

I know I know.... I's just pointing out, that we aren't all some kiddies on our daddy's cable modem with a 120gig harddisk, ripping the world off and rousing the MPAA. I have a nice collection of music, and regardless of the fact that I can very easily go download any album or movie I want to, I still go to the store to mill around and buy music with my American currency. But, I can understand what you're saying.

and, as long as we're on the factual tip, I get my checks from BMI, but I didn't think most people would know who I was talking about...

and I too have been guilty of grabbing songs I need at a particular time... like a week after I'm supposed to know them and have lost the tape the drummer gave me, but... yeah, it ain't just Mettalica who is getting gyped by this stuff

werd up kazaa and all dem mp3 niggahz dont pay da bills. and like everyone an there momma i download shit but end up buyin it anyways...by the way i love that movie, "Order some golf shoes. Otherwise, we'll never get out of this place alive. It's impossible to walk in this muck -- no footing at all..."

i remeber first picking up this book at some sub shop in madison wisconsin when i was on my trip for first move away form home. i thought it was the coolest fucking book ever and went looking for the american dream in colorado. i started off strong, with a nice stash and all, but these guys are hardcore.

Archived