FC IBM renegades of funk

niseNSF

yo, first off, credit to Paint My Face..i never jack pictures from sites, but i just saw this and had to share, in case some of yall missed this. granted, im biases cause i think FC is the best crew on earth, but even if you dont share my respect for dero west and company, you gotta appreciate how fresh this is. the pieces are classic, crisp, and the letters exude style, while retaining real letterforms (unlike a lot of this new graff..). and as a fan of bombin, i usually cant stand "productions"...especially cluttered, gaudy ones....but the idea, layout and execution of this one is fucking amazing. simple stars, clean lettering, and nice use of three icons with comparable contributions to society, portrayed well. seriously, it doesnt get much better than this in my mind.

http://www.at149st.com/images/fc4.jpg'>

edited for brokenlink

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by sixteenvandals

i think KAWS and TOTEM are aftermarket FC.

amen...theres some others too..but im not talking.

as for tupac...i dont think peter tosh fits in the same category as che, or with tupac...theyre all kind of in their own class..if anything, che doesnt belong...but in another way, theyre all sort of focus points for certain scenes...and i think, in that way, it works. in general, i cant stan photo-realsim in graff...but here, im not mad at it. i think without the 3, it wouldnt be as fresh as it is....but who knows. its reminds me of when ces did that FX hendrix thing back in the mid-90s...its not that i even love jimi myself, but it was nice to not see another rapper dedication....i guess here its the addition of tosh that really makes me dig it. id really like to see something like biafra or HR or like lee iacocca or some shit. that would be hot. like the CEOs of corporate america....kinda next level.

Guest Ted Wakowski

I'm not trying to jump on a bandwagon of sudden appreciation or anything, but I saw this production once myself and thought it was some real high-quality shit.

If a couple of heads are going to take the time to sit and paint a legal wall for a few hours, or days, then they should consider all the elements that make a wall come off: dope pieces, a consistent color scheme that draws attention to the right areas, layout, placement, coordinating of styles, creativity, etc.

These cats obviously got on some planning shit and made the effort worthwhile.

I've noticed some of those NY-stylish Euro writers doing some seriously on-point legals in recent years. Wish I had flicks.

Originally posted by cheerleader

amen...theres some others too..but im not talking.

as for tupac...i dont think peter tosh fits in the same category as che, or with tupac...theyre all kind of in their own class..if anything, che doesnt belong...

I agree, he doesnt belong..not even the least bit...thats what confuses me..

OK THE WALL IS NICE THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME INTELEGENT FEEDBACK ON THIS POST SO WHO TOOK IT?AND GIVE YOUR REASONS!

HERES MY OPINION(not that it realy matters but...) i like the teal peice it has good movement in the E and A but the pump off the T that goes straight down and just disapears dont kick..i like what dubs did with the dark blue to show the overlaps although it s been done..view also has a pump that comes off the arrow and lands in the middle of the V pointlessly?theres another one coming off the W going straight down aimlessly? so overall i gotta say teal took this one...its just my opinion im in no way dissing any of them....give your feedback....

themo: i totally agree...i gotta say its nice to see a thread with a little more intelligent discussion of pieces- if this happened more foten, 12oz would be fresh.

but back to the pieces..its funny, the thing that drops off the "t" in teals piece bothered me too...but i felt it was a minor infraction i guess....but if we both saw it, i guess it pretty obvious.

as for the overlap thing in the dubs, i actually like it, but i really felt like when i first looked at it that theres dark blue in the 'stem' of the 'b' that doesnt make sense to me - theres a little kick off of the "u" that cuts across the bar, and a little nib of the bottom bubble of the b that over laps...but the other dark blue doesnt look right to me...any one else see that?

the thing on the V in the view i think works, in my opinion. it balances the arrow on the other side and nicely over laps into the top of the V. i gotta dissent on that one.

but still, those are just me having fun being anal about it all, no matter what its a fly ass wall, and all 3 pieces are banging.

style analysys...

Not that I'm an expert or anything but my take is as follows:

I think the D on the dubs piece should have been seperated from the U a little more, its hard to see the shape of it.

I would have to say that teal took it as well but I'm diggin those colors used in the view piece. My 2$. FWITW

it's hard to "get with the times" but I cannot, and doubt I ever will, take graffiti criticism seriously.

it is nice to hear people seriously back up their opinions, but at the same time it kinda makes me chuckle you know?

all of the points everyone seems to be making are accurate and worthwhile. Dubs' overlap idea is neat, but his application of the concept isn't as noteworthy, a little haphazard. Teal's 'L' looks a bit like a 'C', maybe he tried to hard to balance the T and the L spatially? I dunno. they can't exactly call a 'do-over' and fix it, so..

all that being said, very good work gentlemen. IBM has been around for a long time and continues to impress, me, even today. :king:

i will say this much....as much as i hate production style graff, this one i actually cool. that really says alot. i like the wall.

and i think it is true about how it could have had some more obscure icons in it (jello biafra, etc.) just to rock the boat. i dont need to see another low ranker pulling a rapper portrait. this time is an acception, but you know most of the god damn time people that do these realistic rap murals man they are really looking stupid. (the rapper and the writer!)

ill be fucked if im am going to waste my time and paint on ANY fuckin millionaire pop icon. fuck that go to hell all you celebrities!

NOT TO BE A PANSY BUT CAN'T YOU FEEL THE LOVE GOIN' IN HERE? THIS IS TRUE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM AT ITS BEST. I THINK THEMO HAD THE BEST THING TO MENTION REGARDING TEALS PIECE. THAT STRAIGHT BAR THAT DROPS VERTICALLY DOWN DOESN'T SEEM TO COINCIDE WITH THE VARIOUS CUTS AND BENDS HE USES. YO' GOOD SHIT CHEERLEADER FOR THE REPOST!

re: the "more flix" comment above ^^^

im not saying id want every thread to be one flick, but this thread , to me, is a refreshing little back and forth about some style and aesthetic elements....a nice change of pace from the typical "12 flicks, 200 posts saying 'dope!'" threads.

i also agree with whoever said about dubs' "d" being kind of cramped into the "u".....i think thats the bronze medal piece of the thing..teal definitely got the "Au".....

And the winner is.....

That View straight takes the prize. I just dont care for the Teal, that middle joint i dont like, that View is straight TRADITIONAL in so many ways. The colors are hot, the flow is hot, and the 3D is slammin.

Peace .......Torester.....Graff Sucks.....or should I say played

Fame City Comandos

this wall was dedicated not just to these three men separately, but for what they have contributed to the revolution and what they stand for. this should not just be taken in as a graffiti wall, we did this production in order to educate and enlighten people who are searching for answers about political revolutionaries. we chose south central l.a. as the location for the fact that it is looked upon in society as the ghetto, where the government seems to sometimes oversee that everyone, not just the bougoisie, needs to be educated. myself, dub, and view are the newest members of fc and we are trying to create new themes that stem from the ideas of the original members. i will be posting some new productions that we have been working on. thanks a lot for the feedback. peace. Tealone- fame city brigade

Archived