1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

FBI to get veto power over PC software?

Discussion in 'News' started by casekonly, Sep 27, 2005.

1. casekonly

casekonly 12oz Veteran Member

FBI to get veto power over PC software?

Discussion started by casekonly - Sep 27, 2005

The Federal Communications Commission thinks you have the right to use software on your computer only if the FBI approves.

No, really. In an obscure "policy" document released around 9 p.m. ET last Friday, the FCC announced this remarkable decision.

According to the three-page document, to preserve the openness that characterizes today's Internet, "consumers are entitled to run applications and use services of their choice, subject to the needs of law enforcement." Read the last seven words again.

The FCC didn't offer much in the way of clarification. But the clearest reading of the pronouncement is that some unelected bureaucrats at the commission have decreeed that Americans don't have the right to use software such as Skype or PGPfone if it doesn't support mandatory backdoors for wiretapping. (That interpretation was confirmed by an FCC spokesman on Monday, who asked not to be identified by name. Also, the announcement came at the same time as the FCC posted its wiretapping rules for Internet telephony.)

Nowhere does the commission say how it jibes this official pronouncement with, say, the First Amendment's right to speak freely, not to mention the limited powers granted the federal government by the U.S. Constitution.

What's also worth noting is that the FCC's pronunciamento almost tracks the language of the 1996 Telecommunications Act. Almost.

But where federal law states that it is the policy of the United States to preserve a free market for Internet services "unfettered by federal or state regulation," the bureaucrats have adroitly interpreted that to mean precisely the opposite of Congress said. Ain't that clever?

Posted by Declan McCullagh

http://news.com.com/2061-10804_3-5884130.h...84130&subj=news

http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F...10784&lop=nl.ex

casekonly - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. RumPuncher

RumPuncher 12oz Elite Member

RumPuncher - Replied Sep 27, 2005

interesting.

totally unenforcable.

I mean if you can still download kazaa, bit torrent, slsk etc etc etc
    then it's clear that they can't keep you from getting the software.

Just look at DVD Decrypter, you can't legally download it in the US
    but they sure as hell aren't going to stop you from clicking 'I live in Spain'.

RumPuncher - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. REINCARNATED BEAST

REINCARNATED BEAST New Jack

REINCARNATED BEAST - Replied Sep 27, 2005

IF YOU DON'T MIND I AM GOING TO POST THIS SOMEWHERE ELSE
    THANK U

REINCARNATED BEAST - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  4. casekonly

casekonly - Replied Sep 27, 2005

it deserves to be shared.

rum puncher: the fbi scans every computer in the u.s. via ip ranges. all of the time.

5. dumy

dumy 12oz Veteran Member

dumy - Replied Sep 27, 2005

Sooooo..this just makes me think I need to move to canada..pronto
    everyday something else..

dumy - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus 12oz Senior Member

Biggus Dickus - Replied Sep 27, 2005

There has been full scale heuristic keyword scanning of everything you send on the internet, public or private, taking place since the mid 90s, I'm not really particularly worried about anything else.

Biggus Dickus - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  7. turbo17livesinhell

turbo17livesinhell New Jack

turbo17livesinhell - Replied Sep 27, 2005

about 4 years ago the FBI raided my house "i was only like 11 at the time" and they took al our compuers disks software and a shit load of other computer related items because a one of my family members hacked into an airforce base computers. Luckily he was to young and there was no serious damages so they could not press charges. This happened at about 7 a.m. ...... shit reminded me of somethin off of the x files. they came in and were like takin pics of like everything in the house.

turbo17livesinhell - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  8. casekonly

yep. i know that, you know that, but how many others know that?

9. John Birch

John Birch 12oz Member

John Birch - Replied Sep 27, 2005

I can't think of any articles off the top of my head to reference, but its the explicit agenda of the neo-liberals for total US control of the internet. Fortunately the US government is very incompetent and the best minds doing internet work are NOT working for the US government...I hope

John Birch - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. POIESIS

POIESIS 12oz Member

POIESIS - Replied Sep 27, 2005

neo-liberals in general or neo-liberal elites?
    if you mean the latter, i don't think
    hegemonic net control could be attributed solely as a
    "neo-liberal" agenda.

POIESIS - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  11. casekonly

poiesis is correct. i don't think it can be blamed on one party or the other. all want control of this "information highway". hell, i can remember when the u.s.p.s wanted to tax emails. taking away from their business, ya know?

12. casekonly

casekonly - Replied Sep 28, 2005

Wiretapping Broadband
    FCC order stretches CALEA for more than VoIP
    Posted on 2005-09-27 09:45:10
    Late last Friday the FCC released it's CALEA First Report and Order (pdf), which allowed law enforcement to apply the same wiretipping laws used for copper - to VoIP service. The predicted move is something we've discussed frequently, though last week's release does hold a significant surprise. The original CALEA specifically omitted broadband "information services" from such wiretaps, but the FCC has somehow stretched a few definitions to allow the wiretapping of broadband connections, something that worries both legal experts and several of the commissioners.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/67874

13. John Birch

John Birch 12oz Member

John Birch - Replied Sep 28, 2005

***correction: I meant neo-con, but yeah casek is right, there isn't really one side or the other to blame...plus if I remember correctly, Clinton signed a crime bill that greatly expanded the fbi's ability to monitor people

John Birch - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. casekonly

casekonly - Replied Sep 28, 2005

yeah, you are correct. however, the patriot act gives them even more power. sad times we live in. or maybe it's all what we make of it?

anyhow, get your computers secure.

15. POIESIS

POIESIS 12oz Member

POIESIS - Replied Sep 28, 2005

generally speaking, clinton, and the
    rest of the privileged class, all hold dear
    the same values. hence my comment above.

POIESIS - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: