FBI issues railroad terrorism warning

fr8oholic

The FBI warned state and local law enforcement agencies nationwide Thursday that Osama bin Laden's al Qaida terrorist network may be targeting U.S. railways.

Recently captured al Qaida photographs of U.S. railroad engines, cars, and crossings heighten the intelligence community's concern of this threat," the FBI said in a statement.

Agency officials said the warning was based on information gathered from al Qaida prisoners.

"Information from debriefings of al Qaida detainees as of mid-October indicates that the group has considered directly targeting U.S. passenger trains, possibly using operatives who have a Western appearance."

"Additional information suggests operatives may try a variety of other attack strategies, such as destroying key rail bridges and sections of track to cause derailments or targeting hazardous material containers," the statement added.

The FBI said Amtrak has tightened its security, and that the railway industry and other sectors have implemented immediate protective measures for such an attack, including "increased presence of law enforcement officers, increased surveillance of critical areas and improved physical protections."

The FBI warning coincided with a report by a task force that concluded the American transportation, water, food, power, communications and banking systems are unprepared for any terrorist strike.

"America remains dangerously unprepared to prevent and respond to a catastrophic terrorist attack on U.S. soil," said the task force, chaired by former Sens. Gary Hart, D-Colo., and Republican Warren Rudman of New Hampshire.

The report said few trucks, trains and ships that enter the United States are searched. It said state and local police are still denied access to terrorist watch lists, and that the National Guard is not trained well enough to counter a terrorist strike

"A year after 9/11, America remains dangerously unprepared to prevent and respond to a catastrophic terrorist attack on U.S. soil," the report said. "In all likelihood, the next attack will result in even greater casualties and widespread disruption to our lives and economy."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

TRAINS Magazine

Recently had an article about getting a railfan, who also works for a police department, stopped and detained along with two or three other railfans, for photographing and recording (with a tape recorder) trains at Tower 55 in Fort Worth. The chances of a terrorist attacking a train in the yard or at a crew change is minimal. I think they are more likely to target a passenger train or a train carrying toxic materials (petrochemicals) through a city.

Honestly (and I can hear the hoots of derision from here) I think we should be looking for anybody who appears to be skulking around looking to damage a train or railroad property. I've heard from some tramp friends of mine who bemoan the increased security, but they are actively looking for terrorists around the rails. The cops can't be everywhere. We need to help keep watch.

But be careful, the "tresspassing" charge is no joke, they can fine you up to $1,000 and jail you for 90 days, in Texas.

^^yea but every time i go to a yard when ever they say they called the cops there jsut bluffing...i still leave though....you ever know when they arent fooling around....so i just go chill under the bridge and watch the trains come in;)

Guest Skull&Bones

Trust me, Things MAY get a little tighter but you saw how shit isn't really much different in airports.

They wont take that much time on the rails, or spend that kind of money. It costs alot to add more full time security/workers and the rail industry sure as hell can't afford that.

Guest krowteN
Originally posted by Jewish Task Force

I guess the frieght scene needed something to filter all the pussies and toys out.

wait...you dont paint freights do you?.....well then our filter has been working!

The London Tube has been protected from the IRA for decades, and it still gets painted on the regular. Oh no security in yards..... boo fucking hoo. I guess the frieght scene needed something to filter all the pussies and toys out. It cant be easy forever guys.

i mentioned freights in the original message but that's not what i was really referring to...

some guy in texas who is running right now is trying to make sexual assult, arson, theft, vandalism and terrorism all have the same penalty of law. the USA is going to become more hell to live in than it's worth it. the justice system is poo. if that thing called equal rights and systematic justice is for real then i was christopher columbus in my past life. :o

point being i guess...just stay safe....watch your ass.

Guest oldfaithful

on that hazardous material tip peiple in tenn. might want to be extra carefull at there yard with all the radioactive shit going on in that state.(power plants,missle defence projects,etc..)

Guest krowteN

Oh no, Im so hurt. Wait, how many passenger trains have you done? None? Oh ok.

And if I wanted to paint freights, believe me, I would have 10x as many as you. No matter how "hard" they get.

settle down cupcake. i just saw an opening and took it. yeah yeah yeah you da man. you right, you rock more shit than me, you are the 'harder' writer because you paint passenger trains in european countries. freights are for pussies, and all that sort of thing. i just couldnt resist that one.

Archived