Favourite PC Games of Yesteryear

Weapon X

I'm feeling nostalgic this morning.

Sierra Games were hype:

Space Quest

Hero's Quest

Police Quest (until SWAT came out and ruined the series)

Leisuresuit Larry

Civilization

Pizza Tycoon

X-Com

Wolfenstein 3D

On the BBS, I liked Trade Wars

Oregon Trail

Number Munchers

Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego?

can anyone think of any others?

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh, Doom III just came out this year.

So, yeah, if anyone is going to post, try to make it a game from yesteryear. I feel old enough as it is, so don't go around mentioning Counterstrike or something.

*oh yeah - Dark Forces was ill.

DEATHTRACK!!!! THAT IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE GAMES EVER!

and one of the best hockey games ever made was Faceoff, from 1988. It had really good fighting in it, and every team had a farm team to send down and call up players from.

Mike Ditka's Football.

Rise Of The Triad (oh yes. Ludicrious Gibbs!)

Duke Nuke 'Em (8-Bit versions)

Scorched Earth (the premise for Worms)

Roger Wilco (was that Space Quest?)

Gauntlet (forever classic)

King's Quest (Hero's Quest?)

Syndicate (if anyone can find this game for me I'll father your first born)

Warcraft/Command & Conquer

Goddamn, anyone else remember those old shareware discs that were around back around '90-'93? They had like the original Duke Nuke 'Ems as well as random clipart..... that shit's oldschool.

• Like 1

wow, you guys have mentioned most of the games i was going to mention...all those sierra games are fucking great...with the exception of swat...fuck that game. fuck darryl gates.

hero's quest was dope too...remember eating the mushrooms in the forest? haha.

leisure suit larry was another favorite of mine. 1-7 or 8. can't recall how many there were.

spacequest...fuck yeah. and yeah, roger wilco was one of 'em.

26 sided, i used ot have syndicate...there's this site...it's an abandon warez site full of old games... http://www.the-underdogs.org

also, check kazaa.

knights of xentar was another good game.

http://www.argosoft.com/games

http://www.freeoldies.com/

http://www.classicpcgames.com

wow, too many mudd games i can't recall the names of. telnet was the ill.

brings back memories.

also, that racing game where you could build your own tracks with loops and spirals and whatnot. can't remember the name....

but on a side note... if anyone has the time and patience, you can make your own classic-sierra-style game using the AGS (Adventure Game Studio) found here

... if i had the graphics i needed i definitely would do it, but having to draw each scene and item/character would take way too long for me to want to do it.... check it out though

casek - once again thanks. I'm not going to be billed at the end of the year for all the help you've been doling out lately, am I?

Originally posted by Herbivore@Oct 27 2004, 10:01 AM

all the old Sierra games were dope. anyone ever play their game Freddy Pharkus: Frontier Pharmacist? that's the jawn right there.

Was that the one where you were a kid with a pet frog and you had to get out of school, play Super Pretendo, yadda yadda yadda?

I'm glad people remember the Sierra games. Yeah, Space Quest was the one with Roger Wilco. I remember the big space mall where you could play that little mini-game with the chicken.

Hero's Quest was different than King's Quest. KQ was nice, but HQ was where you could join the thieves' guild, and, yes, eat mushrooms in the forest.

Nice, syndicate! I couldn't ever play that on my shitty 286 back then, but I played the shit out of them at my friend's house.

I think that any game that used the internal speakers is applicable to this thread.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Oct 27 2004, 02:35 PM

I'm glad people remember the Sierra games. Yeah, Space Quest was the one with Roger Wilco. I remember the big space mall where you could play that little mini-game with the chicken.

what about the one where you work at a burger joint building hamburgers as they pass by on a conveyer belt.... good shit.....

and hell yeah Wing Commander, i forgot about that one

Originally posted by OriginalArea@Oct 27 2004, 03:28 PM

Yo Herbivore, BurgerTime HA HA!

Gauntlet I played for hours on the C 64!

How about DX Ball. Arkanoid knock-off way more fun!

I just downloaded that shit for my mac last month.

actually i was talking about a part in one of the Space Quest games, but Burger Time was also awesome.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Oct 27 2004, 01:35 PM

Nice, syndicate! I couldn't ever play that on my shitty 286 back then, but I played the shit out of them at my friend's house.

I was running a 486 when I came up on that shit, you envy me. Casek's link is down right now... but I'm going to get that fucking game again. I didn't pay too much attention to it when I bought it the first time because I was way too busy for video games at that point in puberty... but I think I'm ready to try that shit again.

And this is sort-of off-topic (look at that, two hyphens connected to o's and f's, I'm a genius son) but does anyone remember a game for Genesis that was vector 3-D and you were some kid (possibly in a white shirt) running around these weird alien environments trying to collect this box or you had some kind of cube-thing that did shit for you? It was one of those extra-large Sega games with the memory strip in the top.... anyone?

Wow lotta good games mentioned.

Syndicate was an awesome game, I had it for the Mac a while ago. The best was the one level where you had to make an assasination during a parade, and there were people lining the streets. I would replay that mission over and over and just mow people down, something like 170+ civ's on that level.

Flashback was amazing, great gameplay and animation.

Ultima V, and both the Ultima games on the Gameboy (Runes of Virtue I and II). I still think the gameboy games are some of the best ever made, I actually paid full price for ROV II this year to get it unopened.

Never got too into the Sierra games, I had one King's Quest I played a lot but the chick kept drowning.

Marathon I and II. Killing BOBs was fun.

Arkanoid. Played that till my eyes bled.

Sim City 2000. Played that till my eyes bled.

Rampage, with the lizard, king kong, and the other thing. Played THAT till my eyes bled.

Strider (Genesis). Awesome platformer, awesome sound fx.

I remember playing that Freddy Pharkas game, there was another game about a kid named Willy and his frog that I was real into at the time. Anyone remember the name? Willy: A Boy and His Frog, or some shit? It was an adventure game.

Crystal Quest, had it for Mac, was an Asteroids style game that got increasingly difficult as you collected crystals and passed levels. My dad was sick at that game.

Boulderdash: Please stell me someone remembers this gem.

Loderunner (Apple IIc)

Shadowgate

There's always more.