Fav Cereal

GLIK$

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by liftoner

mmmmm...cereal.

cinnamon toast crunch

golden grahms

cocoa pebbles

fruity pebbles

honey nut shredded wheat

pops

honeynut cheerios

peanutbutter captain crunch

I could go on and on...

WTF?!? blueberry morning and banna nut crunch! ?

jesus H christ, don't you people have any boring, crap cereal, like rice krispies and wheatabix?

Originally posted by El Mamerro

The Jesus Potato says that by no circumstances is a rag soaked in vinegar considered "a good breakfast", no matter what those crazy Roman soldiers say.

blarharhar! :lol:

well zack morris turned me onto the long lost cereal of my childhood lately... and that would be count chocula! :yum: its all ive been eating for about two months now

Does The FDA do Its Job?

Do you really know what your eating??

BHA and BHT are both found in all cereals.

What are BHA and BHT?

Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and the related compound butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) are phenolic compounds that are often added to foods to preserve fats.

How do they preserve food?

BHA and BHT are antioxidants. Oxygen reacts preferentially with BHA or BHT rather than oxidizing fats or oils, thereby protecting them from spoilage. In addition to being oxidizable, BHA and BHT are fat-soluble. Both molecules are incompatible with ferric salts. In addition to preserving foods, BHT is also used to preserve fats and oils in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, and even found in enbalmbing fluids.

What foods contain BHA and BHT?

BHA is generally used to keep fats from becoming rancid. It is also used as a yeast de-foaming agent. BHA is found in butter, meats, cereals, chewing gum, baked goods, snack foods, dehydrated potatoes, and beer. It is also found in animal feed, food packaging, cosmetics, rubber products, and petroleum products.

Are BHA and BHT safe?

Both BHA and BHT have undergone the additive application and review process required by the US Food and Drug Administration. However, the same chemical properties which make BHA and BHT excellent preservatives may also be implicated in health effects. The oxidative characteristics and/or metabolites of BHA and BHT may contribute to carcinogenicity or tumorigenicity; however the same reactions may combat oxidative stress. There is evidence that certain persons may have difficulty metabolizing BHA and BHT, resulting in health and behavior changes. BHA and BHT may have antiviral and antimicrobial activities.

BHT retards rancidity in oils. It either increased or decreased the risk of cancer in various animal studies. Residues of BHT occur in human fat. BHT is unnecessary or is easily replaced by safe substitutes avoid it when possible.

On another note

Artificial sweeteners also have been linked to malignancies. Saccharin, most widely available in those little pink envelopes labeled Sweet 'N Low, causes cancer in lab animals and is classified by the FDA as a weak carcinogen. Acesulfame-K (sold as Sweet One or Sunette and found in chewing gum, instant coffee and tea, puddings, gelatin desserts, and nondairy creamers) has a chemical structure similar to saccharin and has promoted tumor growth in laboratory animals, too.

Unlike other sugar substitutes, aspartame--marketed as NutraSweet or Equal and added to such products as soft drinks and cookies--hasn't been shown to increase cancer risk. But complaints have been filed with the FDA alleging that aspartame causes headaches, dizziness, and nausea. Research has been inconclusive about such claims, but aspartame is definitely unsafe for those with phenylketonuria (PKU), a congenital condition afflicting over 15,000 Americans that inhibits the metabolism of an amino acid in aspartame. The sweetener is especially dangerous for fetuses and infants with PKU. (Babies are usually tested for the disease after birth.) In worst-case scenarios, brain damage could result.

Another troublesome category of additives is sulfites, which include such common substances as potassium metasulfite and sodium bisulfite. Found naturally in beer and wine, sulfites are synthetically produced to reduce discoloration in such foods as dried fruit, dehydrated soup mixes, processed seafoods, and syrups. The problem is that millions of Americans are sensitive to sulfites and can have reactions ranging from hives to death. As a result, the FDA banned their use on fresh fruits and vegetables in 1985, when grocers and salad-bar owners routinely used a sulfite dip to keep their produce colorfully appealing. But a 1990 lawsuit brought by potato manufacturers legalized the use of sulfites on spuds sent to restaurants in the form of fries and hash browns. FDA officials hope to overturn the ruling.

FDA BAN. Artificial colors have been responsible for a range of adverse reactions. Derived from coal tar, 13 synthetic colorants have been banned by the FDA since 1956 because of public-health concerns. The remaining certified nonvegetable-based dyes, such as Red No.3 and Yellow No.5, continue to raise eyebrows among safe-food advocates. Red No.3, which is banned in cosmetics yet colors such foods as maraschino cherries and pistachio nuts, causes thyroid cancer in rats. Yellow No.5--used in cookies, cake mixes, chips, and soft drinks--must be individually listed on ingredient labels, rather than referred to as artificial color, because it is associated with such allergic reactions as hives, runny nose, and shortness of breath.

Ingesting aluminum compounds--aluminum sulfate, aluminum phosphate, sodium phosphate, aluminum chloride--that are common leavening agents in baked goods may be bad news, too. Although research remains inconclusive, some studies show a connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease.

Finally, look out for fizz. Phosphorous compounds make soft drinks bubbly (phosphoric acid), as well as keep canned vegetables firm (calcium phosphate) and dried instant oatmeals and soup mixes easy to hydrate (sodium phosphate). But nutritionists warn that consuming too much phosphorous can disturb the body's ability to absorb calcium, thus raising the danger of osteoporosis.

Guest fr8lover

Re: Does The FDA do Its Job?

Originally posted by IntangibleFame

Do you really know what your eating??

who gives a folk rock, i gotta have my pops.

dude why did they have to change the color of the fucking crunch berrys in captain crunch?!?!?!?!? me and the cap'n made it happen fine without green fucking crunch berrys!

lets hear it for grape nuts! Ugh my mohter went on this tree hugging health kick a bit back. She tried making me eat that bullshit, I tried it, tasted like bark so i went to the store got me some oreo cereal and some black tar heroin, ill show that bitch whos in charge!

Archived