FASHIONCORE

Ski Mask

read and discus...

Women's jeans inspire new trend: 'Fashioncore'

Fad grows among hardcore music scene

By Natalie Naquin, Revelry Writer

March 15, 2004

It is not uncommon for fashion trends to reflect the style of music a person listens to. One of these trends -- males wearing female jeans -- not only evinces the type of music these men listen to, but it is also a characteristic of an entire fashion scene.

"Fashioncore" is the term that describes those who wear girl jeans -- at least that is what they call it.

"It's just a scene thing," said Brandon Sheridan, who is a self-proclaimed fashioncore scenester. "You've got the black hair over one eye, the white belt, the girl pants, the converse -- it's the 'scene' thing to do."

"The scene" refers to the national hardcore music scene.

Hardcore, as defined by Travis Leblanc, an English freshman, is a type of music with a couple of distinctions from metal. There is a chugging beat, which you dance to, "crazy" tunings with many dissonant chords, and a screamer, a singer who can "growl and shout his head off."

Bands such as Norma Jean, Through the Eyes of the Dead, and Reflux are considered hardcore.

Leblanc broke down the definition of fashioncore.

"There are two divisions of hardcore," Leblanc said. "Fashioncore and tough-guy hardcore. Fashioncore is more image-oriented. Same music [as tough-guy hardcore], different look."

The look he describes is common among students. Walking around the quad, it is easy to spot someone wearing girl jeans, a "super-tight hoodie," and a bandana in their back pocket.

Ryan Warden

Also common among fashioncore style is a white belt to go with the female pants, although this is usually only popular among those who like grindcore.

"Grindcore is another style of music," Leblanc said. "It's really out there, spastic, crazy -- people who like grind usually wear the belt."

Most of the girl-pant wearing few claim how comfortable girl pants are as opposed to men's jeans.

"They're so comfortable and I feel so good in them," said Danny Farber, a 20-year-old girl pants enthusiast at The Furnace music venue. "They show my figure off better. Guy pants just don't do it for me."

Sheridan agrees with Warden, although there is one stipulation.

"They're actually more comfortable than guy pants -- as long as you wear tighty-whities," he said.

The reasoning behind guys wearing girl pants could be because of the feeling of belonging to a group, and recognizing those who share the same musical tastes.

"It's predominately a hardcore thing," Leblanc said. "Nine people out of 10, if you see them wearing girl pants, they like hardcore. You're walking down the street, you see a guy wearing girl pants, you know what it's all about. They're into hardcore."

Julie Reboul, a philosophy freshman, enjoys spotting guys wearing girl pants.

"Boys in girl pants make me blush," she said. "I love it. I think it's the hottest thing in the whole world."

The main reason for girl pants, coincidentally, is the comfort factor.

"They're a lot more comfortable," Leblanc said. "Especially the stretch kind. It doesn't make sense to me why they don't make guy pants the same. They get a little tight in the crotch every now and then, but that's to be expected."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

no! not again not on this message board...

those kids are fucks that have no clue of

a) theirselves

B) more importantly, hardcore

they need to quit life, go away... hide or die or something because they are disgusting and fucking stupid. straight up dumb in the brain. they don't know what the fuck they are doing. Wearing certain clothes doesn't make you shit. it makes you look stupid and if you talk about it it makes you deserve a skull fracture.... these kids are a joke, just like emo, just like AIDS and just like the bacon flavoured candy.

and there is no such thing as "tough guy hardcore" because it is HARDCORE and nothing else. fashioncore doesn't exist.

hardcore bands:

everybody gets hurt

madball

cro-mags

agnostic front

punch your face

bulldoze

neglect

some bands that are not hardcore:

norma's jeans

abba

slipknot

modern talking

nickelback

etc

PS grindcore has nothing to do with white belts worn by faggots. grindcore is fast paced metal/punk I never really figured it out but it was there way before those dipshits in white belts were even born. so basically what we have here is rich little white kids that have wild imagination and no sense of real life reality

dyed black hair = LAME

long model hair = COOL

white belts = LAME

girl jeans = COOL

going to shows with a bandana over your face = LAME

doing crime with a bandana over your face = COOL

wearing scarves to shows = LAME

taking scarves from neiman marcus = COOL

being straight edge = LAME

"HARDCORE" = LAME. unless it's "digital."

I've worn girl pants before but only because

A) I didn't know they were

B) I didn't much care

C) I was poor as dirt and got them at a thrift store

D) They were in decent condition.

But this... this is just silly.... someone please bring punk back... metal even....

I'm not gonna lie, i do wear girls jeans quite a bit, but the main reason is because they fit. I'm thin and short, and don't like baggy clothes too much, so if i find a pair of jeans at a thrift store or somewhere for cheap and they fit well, i'll get them regardless of if they're mens or womens. I'm definitely not one of the kids whose wearing spandexish ballhugger jeans, a white belt and has dyed black hair.

think kids in baggy pants look stupid? not half as stupid as grown men in women's pants.

"shows off my figure better?" if by that he means being way too tight and making your ass look like a fat tumor or boil or something on the back of two popsicle sticks with shoes on em... then yeah.

Originally posted by ..fuD..

think kids in baggy pants look stupid? not half as stupid as grown men in women's pants.

"shows off my figure better?" if by that he means being way too tight and making your ass look like a fat tumor or boil or something on the back of two popsicle sticks with shoes on em... then yeah.

Im talking about kids with parachute pants draped half way down their ass claiming thug life. Theres a bunch of them from topanga. Im sure you know whats up. Wigga what?

I think what happens is that bands realize they suck and they need a gimmick to distinguish themselves from others. Of course all the trendfollowers who feel like they need to be better than someone else and different do the same thing.

Just a theory.