fashion spread in graff mags

b/d

okay... so I have a question for everyone. How do you feel about mags like Mass Appeal having fashion sections? Mass Appeal has some of the best fashion spreads around and they always flip it in a very unconventional way that is interesting but do you wish that it just wasnt there?

I ask this because we at beautiful/decay are currently debating on whether or not we should include a fashion section in our mag. Now of course we would not just do the same old fashion shoot with random people in random clothes. We would take a fine art approach to it and do something that has never been done before (sorry cant say exactly what till we do it but trust me it would be more of a photography section than a fashion section)

now keep in mind that b/d is not a straight up graff mag. we feature many types of art including public art, fine art, graphic design and if its interesting enough fashion.

let us know what you think.....

www.beautifuldecay.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

do what you feel is fitting to your magazines ethos

I just hope you dont plan on using your position as an edito/publisher/whatever

to get your own ass covered in tribal gear

because...

there's more to loose than there is to gain.

no im not really into tribal....

and fashion has nothing to do with graff.... B/D really is not a graff mag. we feature all types of art. fashion (the good kind is an artform..just like graphic design is)

its just a way of expanding the mag.

Don't worry b/d will always have at least 70% straight up graff in it.

its a mag made for people who are into underground art and were not going to change that to make loot. How ever we are trying to put out the best mag out there that takes a look at all artforms.

if the fashion spread jumps off the page and attacks the reader, then fuck the fashion spread...(i shouldn't have to ask myself "why is this in here?")

if the fashion section flows well with the rest of the mag then that's beautiful...artists make clothes and they deserve attention...

as a reader of beautiful decay i would hate to see anything even remotely similar to the pages of mass appeal...one of the reasons i dont purchase mass appeal is because of the label-whore fashion crap...

please let the clothes and the photography stand alone as inventive art and not some gear for the next b-boy headspinning event...

just keep doing what you're doing and let art take the main stage...

by the way...love the mag...

Don't do it, unless those companies are directly paying you. I mean, seriously... what's the point of all that shit anyways. Mass Appeal has too many adverstisments and too much Triple 5 Soul bullshit. I don't care for all the modeling. If you absolutely need a fashion spread, I'd say you get random people off the street and check out what they're wearing, but don't do that whole "Do's" and "Don'ts" thing or else it'll be a total Vice ripoff.

thanks for the input guys...very helpful.....

we promise to try our best to always keep b/d as original as possible...we would never do a do's and don't section..... guess you will just have to wait and see.. I don't think you guys are really going to expect what were going to do...i should have explained that were using the term "fashion spread" very loosely and in the most non conventional way.

Guest --zeSto--

when I said 'tribal'...

I was refering to all of the usual suspects of the 'graf clothing' world.

555soul, conart, tribal, gat etc. ... all have ads in above-ground mags.

Let them keep that market. If you do a fashion spread.. make sure to focus

on local designers who are part of the community.

..even if the fashion spread is done in an arty way, with an emphasis on good photography and setting, i still think its just a fashion layout...

and honestly, if thats what i'm looking for in a magazine, i'll buy cosmo

..i don't think there are too many good graf magazines around anymore..the black and white zines seem to be the only ones that stay true to form, but..if you're magazine isn't labelled like that, do whatever....just keep in mind the slow demise of wyws, which had a great first issue, and mass appeal, which also started out awesome..

i guess these guys realized that the only way to get a big readership was to branch out beyond graf related stuff...but then they lost the readers who are deep in the scene...

that's why i hate mag's like mass appeal, etc....ADS. you can hardly look at anything in this world anymore and not see an AD! keep your magazine pure and do not put garbage in it. because before you know it the money you are offered will have the upper hand in what your magazine stands for. which in turn will end up looking like everything else in the market...........

i really like your magazine do not let money be the ruling factor.

p.s. please read a book called "no logo"

On the Go had the funniest fashion pages. The shoplifting spread where they showed the "models" boosting clothes(with designer names and cost listed), and this other spread where random street people were modelling gear were both genius.

Guest Dr. Doom

Straight forward!!!!!!!!!

NO WAY!!

I met you @ a show in Seattle and I got a good solid "I write graffiti for myself" vibe from you! I think that the magazine reflects that also!

Loved the ONOROK interview and the VA stuff!! Don't change a thing! Just expand on what you're doing! More in depth questions!?!?!Tons of fr8's! City specials maybe! You're mag is champ! Don't fuck it up!

Good luck and keep pushing!

dad says

just be able to look at yourself in the mirror every morning.

i agree w/ zesto...work on local labels, and local designers...

at the same time...all these peeps on here are so 'brand name' focused ...

listen to pa sometimes.

-dot.

i agree with all of you. one thing that some of you have to realize though is that without ads there is absolutely no way to pay for a magazine. people paying five bucks for a mag does not pay for it...not even close. you would have to pay a minimum of $15.oo to pay for the prices that printers cost. not to mention postage, computers.....you get the drift. its a thankless job.

but on the other hand i hear what your saying.... local designers....we fully support them...just check out issue B . it has reviews on a bunch of local artists, designers and companies.

I do have to also say that b/d is not a graff mag. we are a underground art mag and have always been...even when we were black and white. b/d will always have at least 70% graff and nothing is going to change that. if we have to sacrifice that then i will not do it.... the other 30% is still a toss up. I dont mind experimenting with different articles and sections....even a fashion spread as long as i believe that it is honest.

I also will have to disagree with some of you who think mass appeal sucks. that mag is still independently owned and is beautifully made. it is true that they are not a graff mag (which sucks) but their articles are good and their photos are even better (if your into the whole hiphop urban thing.) WYWS is a whole different story but thats none of my concern.

We really appreciate all the input you guys give us. if you have any more thoughts let us know. were listening.

mass appeal is an urban lifestyles magazine that includes fashion , music and art. but that's just one of them . they have two mag's..... one with some fashion included and the other one with straight graffiti. and yes i buy both .... and i enjoy the fashion spreads.:cool:

Guest Are2

Re: cash in

Originally posted by Uproker

Go ahead. whatever remnants of soul graffiti or even art had was sold off years ago, have a nice day.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anybody remember the first wyws. i know it had that front page/back page spread with joker but i cant recall who else right now, i think the only ad in it was for a freight magazine that was dropping soon. at that time whoever was putting it together would have probably laughed at the idea of fashion in a graff magazine.

Archived