family guy/obey giant

casekonly

this past sunday i sawa huge 'obey giant' poster in the family guy episode.

here's why:

(excerpt from seth mcfarlane interview)

CR: Here's a random one: I know you went to the Rhode Island School of Design. Did you know Shepard Fairey when you were there? Do you know who he is? He's the street artist who puts up all those signs around town that say 'Obey Giant'?

SM: Oh that guy!

CR: That guy!

SM: Yeah, he was there when I was there! I don't think I actually knew him. But he was there when I was there, and it's amazing because those things originated when he was in school there and now they're everywhere.

CR: I was just wondering, because he's the other big Rhode Island School of Design guy. That's cool though, that you went to school with him. You can use *that* as a pick up line!

SM: Sure, sure, Hey, I went to school with that Andre the Giant Obey Guy!

http://www.citizenrobot.com/readme/sethmacfarlane.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by dELiSs@Jun 14 2005, 10:47 PM

Yeah shepard fairey is a fag. I guess its cool he made that obey shit so big but the fact that he copied it from a movie is lame. plus he deejays at his own shows. pretty fruity.

why are you hating. the man gets up probably more than any writer or "street/guerilla artist" like buffmonster, london police, "dave", and all them other cats. and i thought he copied that andre the giant thing from a news article, just the face though. all that other shit is his original idea. and whats wrong with dj'ing at your own show? the man is killin two birds with one stone.

Damn seth went to RISD, fuck. I've been thinking of getting my masters there.

Oh and to CitezenRobot:

"Other big Rhode Island School of Design guy." You are fucking kidding me,

way to discredit yourselves. Sure Shepard is famous but Seth is a pair of

fucking clown shoes when put next to the countless other design greats to

come from RISD. Gosh darn fools you are.

family guy is funny, but it seems this season, they are tryin to hard and stuffing it full of clipbacks or whatever, where they just clip to random shit, it was funny when a show had 2 or three, but now they have way too many,,,,,and american dad,,,,,no funnies....

Originally posted by Theo Huxtable+Jun 15 2005, 01:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Theo Huxtable - Jun 15 2005, 01:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dELiSs@Jun 14 2005, 10:47 PM

Yeah shepard fairey is a fag. I guess its cool he made that obey shit so big but the fact that he copied it from a movie is lame. plus he deejays at his own shows. pretty fruity.

why are you hating. the man gets up probably more than any writer or "street/guerilla artist" like buffmonster, london police, "dave", and all them other cats. and i thought he copied that andre the giant thing from a news article, just the face though. all that other shit is his original idea. and whats wrong with dj'ing at your own show? the man is killin two birds with one stone.

[/b]

I don't think you can give someone full credit for paper campaigns,

I know for a fact that this shepard guy has/had other people putting his shit up..

It is all over, but that does'nt mean he put them there..

and P.S.

Fuck the buffmonster~ what the fuck is that rubbish?!

I want to push that kids shit in with his wheatpasting broom

Thinking it's cute to go over entire walls with that bullshit,

sucka duck probally never could get a handstyle or a throw-up, got mad and tryed to take it out on the whole scene.

Little rich nerd, stays in them soft towns cause he knows he'll get touched if he get's caught out in the street going over the wrong people with that buff bullshit~ 'Round these parts even regular commercial wheatpasters caught going over peoples spots get abrassively approached...sunny-sons parents would be getting one of those "dreaded phone calls"

Mark.

Originally posted by onesecondple@Jun 15 2005, 08:46 AM

family guy is funny, but it seems this season, they are tryin to hard and stuffing it full of clipbacks or whatever, where they just clip to random shit, it was funny when a show had 2 or three, but now they have way too many,,,,,and american dad,,,,,no funnies....

Yeah that and the times that they do that seems to go on forever, its funny for a second or two but then youre just sitting there thinking "this isnt funny anymore, when is this shit going to stop?"

Originally posted by H. Lecter@Jun 15 2005, 11:10 AM

I don't think you can give someone full credit for paper campaigns,

I know for a fact that this shepard guy has/had other people putting his shit up..

It is all over, but that does'nt mean he put them there..

as far as im concerend thats genius. And i dont think he sees it as graff he talks about it as a phenomena not graff. but in the end like it or not a lot of fools know the name. and the icon.

IMO its tuff to judge his shit on graff standards when he works on a different set of principles.

Originally posted by Theo Huxtable+Jun 14 2005, 10:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Theo Huxtable - Jun 14 2005, 10:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dELiSs@Jun 14 2005, 10:47 PM

[/b]

I'm not even talking about that Andre the Giant thing . If you like that obey shit go rent the movie "THEY LIVE" by John Carpenter and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's obviously copied. Trust me that OBEY thing is not original . If you dont want to see it I can explain a bit. Its actually a pretty cool movie even though its old.

Good for him he is making the $$$. Selling clothes in NOrdstroms, the obey idea he copied is everywhere, he has his own magazine (swindle) post no bills,doing art shows ..