Falling off......

Guest TrustEvil

Guest TrustEvil

How long can you keep going full speed ahead ? When do other of live's priorities come into play and dictate to you that you no longer have the time to paint....or is there always time to paint ? What happens when you shift your creativity from one outlet to another ?....are you no longer part of the game if you're not keeping up with the Jones' ? Breaks are necessary and sometimes you simply have no choice, or you have made that choice....what do you do when your crew thinks you're not holding it down anymore, even though you went strong for 3 years straight ? How quickly people forget when you have fallen off.....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest oldfaithful

i know what what you mean i feel that way about some of my crew ,like there not puttin forth as much effort as i have been which is causing me to slow down......but all that aside man its hard for me to keep up with the amount of paint i use , sometimes i cant piant cause i get too low on paint..

sometimes life forces you to slow down

..illness, death, new places, falling in love, having children, having a career

all these things naturally come into play as people get older

everyone has different priorities

sometimes an individual's priorities shift daily...

it depends on where the individual places their desires and needs and responsibilities

at this point, i have seen many examples of what a writer's 'career' can be like..

up everywhere, crazy spots, recognition out the yang, 24-7 for about 3 years...then its over

or the guy who gets up and does a good job of it for many years, falls off into the wild blue yonder, no one knows what happened where he is, then 7 years later...boom up everywhere again...

or the dude who sits back, and at a relaxed pace, builds a rep for himself over a period of many years, even decades, and many cities...taking long breaks here and there, but never quitting...

the point is that even if you fall off. ..you can always come back again

graf is user defined...i've chosen the relaxed pace...i have never burnt out (come close) and i've never been convinced by my many detractors, to quit

i'm here, i've been here, and i still will be here for the years to come (as long as i'm alive, graf will be a part of me)

i know this because i've brought it along with me for many years already..

through death, addiction, tough times, college, graduation, and now the job i always wanted.....my birthday was a few days ago...i am, at this point, a grown woman..if i'm still doing it now ..i'll still be doin it in 15 years..

fuggit...if dr.revolt can do it, so can i...

hopefully you are close friends with the people in oyur crew, and they aren't all about judging you...the guy who was the shit, then fell off for 7 years, then came back and is the shit again...that guy is in my crew..

no one ever said "fuck that guy..he hasn't done shit in 5 years"

when it came time for him to paint again, we were alll nothin but happy..the crew is always down for its members..

Originally posted by the skipper

are you trying to justify the fact that you've fallen off? hey loser, you should be happy you've fallen off. now you'll have more time and money to do things that are actually productive. i just started falling off about a month ago--it feels great.

congradulations.

haha, you hit it..........

Guest TrustEvil

i made no mention of myself falling off did i ? and even if i was, i certainly have no one to justify it to...just throwing the issue out there.

Originally posted by Are2

sometimes life forces you to slow down

..illness, death, new places, falling in love, having children, having a career

all these things naturally come into play as people get older

everyone has different priorities

sometimes an individual's priorities shift daily...

it depends on where the individual places their desires and needs and responsibilities

at this point, i have seen many examples of what a writer's 'career' can be like..

up everywhere, crazy spots, recognition out the yang, 24-7 for about 3 years...then its over

or the guy who gets up and does a good job of it for many years, falls off into the wild blue yonder, no one knows what happened where he is, then 7 years later...boom up everywhere again...

or the dude who sits back, and at a relaxed pace, builds a rep for himself over a period of many years, even decades, and many cities...taking long breaks here and there, but never quitting...

the point is that even if you fall off. ..you can always come back again

graf is user defined...i've chosen the relaxed pace...i have never burnt out (come close) and i've never been convinced by my many detractors, to quit

i'm here, i've been here, and i still will be here for the years to come (as long as i'm alive, graf will be a part of me)

i know this because i've brought it along with me for many years already..

through death, addiction, tough times, college, graduation, and now the job i always wanted.....my birthday was a few days ago...i am, at this point, a grown woman..if i'm still doing it now ..i'll still be doin it in 15 years..

fuggit...if dr.revolt can do it, so can i...

hopefully you are close friends with the people in oyur crew, and they aren't all about judging you...the guy who was the shit, then fell off for 7 years, then came back and is the shit again...that guy is in my crew..

no one ever said "fuck that guy..he hasn't done shit in 5 years"

when it came time for him to paint again, we were alll nothin but happy..the crew is always down for its members..

what he said.;)

Originally posted by the skipper

from my perspective the original message was alluding to the fact that you're either in the process of falling off or are planning on falling off in the near future. either way i congradulate you. don't let your homies ruin the experience either--falling off is an experience to be enjoyed.

i'm being sincere too. i think there comes a time when you have to get your priorities straight.

i love graf. i always will. when i'm 40 years old i'll be walking around looking at rooftop burners and fresh throws. at the same time i'm tired of all the bullshit. i'm tired of the egos, the politics, the whole idea that fame in graf is actually worth something. it's ghetto fame that comes and goes before you know it. is it really worth working your life around your graffiti agenda? personally, i say no. does that make me a pussy or a sellout? to the "real heads" the answer is probably yes. i don't care though. it's my life and i'm not going to let some diluted little graf guru dictate my self worth.

anywho. falloff. paint if you feel like it, don't paint if you don't. live your life and don't let this pathetic little hobby control your future.

i would never work my life around a graffiti agenda...what a waste of time

i am so much more multi-faceted than that..

i am living proof that one can do plenty of shit in life positive and not.....like what i listed in my original post, and not just paint, but at the same time still get up, still have fun, not falloff and not be considered a sell out...

but i guess i might be a pussy... ;) ;)

maybe if some people weren't so gungho they would last longer..

who was it that said the candle that burns twice as bright burns for half as long?

I "quit" for just over 2 years starting in 2000. I use the "'s because even though I only painted like 2 times in the 2 years I didn't abandon graffiti completely. I just wasn't painting. I was still sketching and looking for pieces and benching and thinking "Maybe I should paint now.. Hmm? "

Some people think of graffiti as useless and a waste so they quit or think it is for 15 yr old kids and quit when they're done with highschool. I'm old. I have no plans of ever quitting graffiti for good. Breaks here and there I am sure..But quitting? Why would I?? I love it. Fuck the beef egos fame blah blah blah.. I just love painting and giving people something to look at. Giving me something to look at. Fuck the people.. I completely lost my point... I am too fucking tired. Just paint if you want to if you really feel it..but if you feel like quitting then quit. Who gives a fuck what anyone thinks anyway? I sure don't.

• 2 weeks later...

ive fallin off before. its not bad if you keep at it on paper in my opinion, when i fell off i drew constantly. i was traveling as well so id always carry markers or solidifieds with me and catch tags everywhere i visited. paint occasionally if i was in a town i was feelin or something and i will probably fall off again one day. thats just how it is, but the thing is every time you come back to it you come back harder in my opinion. then all the work you put in while you were on your down time is worth it.

Originally posted by Are2

i would never work my life around a graffiti agenda...what a waste of time

graffiti doesnt really get you anywhere in life career wise but that doesnt mean its a waste of time

i dont know about you but graffiti gives me peice of mind, and that great feeling of being young and thats more important to me than most things

although i do think a line should be drawn

at some point in time. you cant be 50years old and bombing freeways and doing bus scribes that take up the whole bus window and shit

.... well you can and that would be savage as fuck haha,

but anyways my point is when your old you can think back at those nights you painted freight trains and pulled off solo whole nighters at the yard, end 2 ends

all those close calls,chases,and just plain weird shit that happend

oh ya to all the writers out there who feel like they have to prove something to the world and are all caught up in fame,

fame is a good thing but dont forget to enjoy the moment for what it is and not for having fame,

now to all the guys that ARE well known or oldschoolers and have tons of shit running(freights/ street bombing/ tagging/scribes/ all that good shit and have put in a whole lot of work in over the years

and are still putting in quality work these are the guys that deserve respect, more credit should be given to these guys, even though they might not say they want any credit for anything you should give them respect and props for what theyve done

take KING157 for example hes a old school king and hes still producing high quality work im pretty sure he knows hes a famous dude and alot of people all over earth have heard the name KING 157

he doesnt have to paint for the rest of his life but he does it anyways thats dedication.

one more thing...

to the "writers" who havent put in work and only paint on occaisons / dont practice/ never went on solo missions/never racked all kinds of markers,inks,buffpaint , spray paint/

and only went on some sharpie bombing missions with your little prick friends or some shit hahahahah and

claim to be some hardcore "tagger"

your not fooling anyone but yourself get over it if you keep thinking your the shit

and you know your not your just making a fool of yourself wake up ...

ok enough of this sentimental shit time to smoke some of that bay area chronic

thats just my point of view

peace....

Archived