fahrenheit 911

omar

this movie sucked. i mean i love the movies that micheal moore does, but this one i thot, being as hyped up as it was, was absolutely weak. it had nothing in it i didnt already know, and it just seemed really really rushed to me. anyways i just wanted to register my disgust throughout the land....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i still cant believe people take michael moore so seriously....HES A FUCKING ENTERTAINER!!! with that being said he is very good at what he does and while he may be guilty of a fair amount of distortion in his movies the foundation of these films is very solid. one thing that kills me in this whole war on michael moore is that seemingly sane liberals are getting sucked into the conservative criticism of him. if i hear one more intelligent person object to michael moores attack on charleton heston in "bowling for columbine" im going to lose it. does anyone stop to think about the fact that the senile man who was "taken advantage of" in that movie is the same senile man who is traveling the country convincing millions of morons that they need to fight for a decrease in the regulation of firearms?!?

alright....i got off point but to sum things up

1. HES A FUCKING ENTERTAINER!!! maybe you should try spending some time being outraged at the injustices in the world instead of a fucking film...then maybe michael moore wouldnt have to make so many of them

2. maybe you should try listening to npr or reading the paper...then you wont be so angry when michael moore pulls one over on you

3. ....and this wasnt touched upon in my previous rant...do you know how many young people were motivated to vote by his latest movie? i think he deserves a very large pat on the back for his role in the coming election.

on your previous comment ithink that it is very commendable that he inspried many young people to vote... however, that being said i was pissed off when he came to the toronto film festival and tried to tell canadians who to vote for. critisize your system and your leaders all you want, but do not come into another country and try to sawy individualsa votes in an election that you have no right to/ has very little effect on you.

I'm all about being a progressive, but michael moore could do a lot of things better. His movies feel like a crappily written editorial; there's a lot of good points there but they're not pulled together into a single, overarching argument.

Bowling for columbine was the perfect example of this. He goes on and on about gun violence, but then hits up canada and refutes the entire gun-control argument and goes into some shit about the culture of fear in the media. When I left that movie I felt like we needed to do something, but there's no indication of precisely what we should do.

Originally posted by boogie hands@Oct 22 2004, 08:13 PM

i still cant believe people take michael moore so seriously....HES A FUCKING ENTERTAINER!!! with that being said he is very good at what he does and while he may be guilty of a fair amount of distortion in his movies the foundation of these films is very solid. one thing that kills me in this whole war on michael moore is that seemingly sane liberals are getting sucked into the conservative criticism of him. if i hear one more intelligent person object to michael moores attack on charleton heston in "bowling for columbine" im going to lose it. does anyone stop to think about the fact that the senile man who was "taken advantage of" in that movie is the same senile man who is traveling the country convincing millions of morons that they need to fight for a decrease in the regulation of firearms?!?

alright....i got off point but to sum things up

1. HES A FUCKING ENTERTAINER!!! maybe you should try spending some time being outraged at the injustices in the world instead of a fucking film...then maybe michael moore wouldnt have to make so many of them

2. maybe you should try listening to npr or reading the paper...then you wont be so angry when michael moore pulls one over on you

3. ....and this wasnt touched upon in my previous rant...do you know how many young people were motivated to vote by his latest movie? i think he deserves a very large pat on the back for his role in the coming election.

Preech!

michael moore is a clown. he is an entertainer only. sad thing people actually believe everything he says. when this movie came to the video store i asked the clerk where it was located because i had previously checked the SCIENCE FICTION section, but couldnt find it. i got an immediate smurk and a turn of the head.

here is michael moore's idea of the truth...

he wants to prove some straight guy is gay. he films a guy for one whole week. one day the guy says the word "gay" among 4 billion other words. 3 days later he says "i'm" among 4 billion other words. he immediately has the tape edited and dubbed to have the man say "im gay" in his film. then he concludes, there you have it, the truth. the man said it himself.

Originally posted by angelofdeath@Oct 26 2004, 05:32 PM

here is michael moore's idea of the truth...

he wants to prove some straight guy is gay. he films a guy for one whole week. one day the guy says the word "gay" among 4 billion other words. 3 days later he says "i'm" among 4 billion other words. he immediately has the tape edited and dubbed to have the man say "im gay" in his film. then he concludes, there you have it, the truth. the man said it himself.

i'm not the biggest michael moore fan but i doubt thats his idea of the truth...if thats supposed to be an analogy to bush being a shitty president you're waaay off. Moore is a slight clown but he's not too far from the truth in farenheit 911

Originally posted by CIPHER_one@Oct 26 2004, 08:26 PM

I mean, I've always been on the side of those who feel Moore embellishes the truth a bit, but where do people get off thinking he makes up all of his statements? Sure I wouldn't take what he says for fact, but he doesn't pull this stuff out of his ass.

<<Fan of Moore.

I just watched this for the first time. I thought it was quite good. I wish he would have hammered some more points home but overall I'd say it was a good job. And it was funny too. And it's the truth. Maybe only part of the truth.... maybe a large part of the truth. But we all already know the truth we hear in the media every day. It's refreshing to get new perspective. You almost have to be biased because if you are showing what is normally not shown, of course it's going to seem one sided.

how is what michael moore doing any different than a politician spinning the facts in their campaign...

everyone tries to persuade you to believe what they believe...

he might be an idiot but he's got a reaction and you know what he's about...which means he got off his ass and did somethin..it's a little better than the "slacktivist" attitude so popular with people in our generation...

I saw Michael Moore on Leno a week or so ago. The dude came off extremely sincere and genuine. He was encouraging people to go out and vote...for whoever they want to vote for. I gotta say the more and more I see of the dude...I like him. I had heard that the columbine film had some horrible editing done to basically put words in peoples mouths...but I haven't heard anything like that regarding fahrenheit 911.

At the end of the Leno appearance dude basically said think what you want about me...I'm just trying to encourage conversation on the topic. He even offered to let Sinclair broadcast his film for free since they claim to have no preference for the candidates for president.

Anyone saying everything out of moores mouth is B.S. has been subject to way too much of our media.

I was so shaken by bowling i couldnt get over it. Then i heard about the dicy editing and got a bit bummed, yet all that did was have me question him as much as i question the media. not a bad thing when i can take two opposing perspectives and find my view in the middle. Any other good person who does the same will be in a much better place, than the people watching FOX.

by the way go rent OUTFOXED. Blew my mind how slanted the "fair & balanced" news is. i had heard it was bad but i didnt know it was this bad !!!

i am more concered with media reform right now than any other issue in the US period !!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ERIZENO@Oct 27 2004, 05:49 PM

Anyone saying everything out of moores mouth is B.S. has been subject to way too much of our media.

I was so shaken by bowling i couldnt get over it. Then i heard about the dicy editing and got a bit bummed, yet all that did was have me question him as much as i question the media. not a bad thing when i can take two opposing perspectives and find my view in the middle. Any other good person who does the same will be in a much better place, than the people watching FOX.

by the way go rent OUTFOXED. Blew my mind how slanted the "fair & balanced" news is. i had heard it was bad but i didnt know it was this bad !!!

i am more concered with media reform right now than any other issue in the US period !!!!!!!!!

yes the media sucks. i try to watch a bit of all the cable news channels, but one thing that i really find odd is that people want to change the media which really only means "lets get rid of fox." i dont watch fox that much, but cmon guys CNN NBC, etc are blatently liberal. now for some that is the way it should be. others think the opposite. even though this royally sucks, i dont think there is any chance of changing anything soon.

As far as anyone thinking michael moore doesnt lie or use "error of ommission" which almost completely reverses the truth, or exaggerates, or twists or manipulates the facts to fit his agenda TO AN EXTREME, you have fallen prey to Moore himself. agree with his overall anti bush message or anti gun message or not he doesnt tell all the truth.

just yesterday i was at a bar and people were talking politics. immediatly the guy arguing the anti bush side cited Michael moores movie as concrete fact on some issue. then guns came up, he says. "i know moore is a big self promotor and all but he did make a good point about the NRA being evil and founded by the KKK. they are a anti black organization who want guns to kill all of them."

Originally posted by angelofdeath+Oct 28 2004, 11:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (angelofdeath - Oct 28 2004, 11:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ERIZENO@Oct 27 2004, 05:49 PM

yes the media sucks. i try to watch a bit of all the cable news channels, but one thing that i really find odd is that people want to change the media which really only means "lets get rid of fox." i dont watch fox that much, but cmon guys CNN NBC, etc are blatently liberal. now for some that is the way it should be. others think the opposite. even though this royally sucks, i dont think there is any chance of changing anything soon.

As far as anyone thinking michael moore doesnt lie or use "error of ommission" which almost completely reverses the truth, or exaggerates, or twists or manipulates the facts to fit his agenda TO AN EXTREME, you have fallen prey to Moore himself. agree with his overall anti bush message or anti gun message or not he doesnt tell all the truth.

just yesterday i was at a bar and people were talking politics. immediatly the guy arguing the anti bush side cited Michael moores movie as concrete fact on some issue. then guns came up, he says. "i know moore is a big self promotor and all but he did make a good point about the NRA being evil and founded by the KKK. they are a anti black organization who want guns to kill all of them."

[/b]

Its not Just fox thats the thing ... if you think it is you are not looking close enough. the fox TV network isnt so much the issue as FOXNEWS is the bigger root of it. Everyone here will agree money talks, right ???

Well CNN and many others have seen the $$ the republicans are willing to dish out and they are taking advantage of the pay off on being slightly biased to Bush. They come off with a few comments that they can use as being non-partisan yet its bullshit when you listen to the language they use. GO RENT "OUTFOXED" !!!!!!!! IT WAS PRODUCED IN PART BY MOVEON.ORG !!! so you can rest easy its not as slanted as MOORE, But if you still cant see any truth in Moore you are being sucked in by our medias propaganda, period point blank !!!!

Not only that, the biggest 3 media outlets (CBS, NBC, ABC) parent companies hold some of the largest military production contracts, who's best intrest is that in ?? more corretly stated "Who's your daddy ???"

"THINK FOR YOURSELF QUESTION ATHORITY"

-Timothy Leary

Originally posted by angelofdeath+Oct 28 2004, 06:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (angelofdeath - Oct 28 2004, 06:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ERIZENO@Oct 27 2004, 05:49 PM

Anyone saying everything out of moores mouth

i dont watch fox that much, but cmon guys CNN NBC, etc are blatently liberal. now for some that is the way it should be. others think the opposite. even though this royally sucks, i dont think there is any chance of changing anything soon.

[/b]

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I disagree...cnn,nbc are "liberal" you must have a different discription of liberal...the ONLY t.v. news that is remotely liberal is on pbs...cnn,abc,nbc, none of these are even leaning to the left..they are all owned by people with vested interests in the republican party...maybe by comparing them to Fox they seem "not so right wing"...

This is a tactic of the right...they say "ooohh, that damn liberal media, everyone is sooo liberal, dan rather ohhh he is just soo biased and cnn they are just liberal pussies..." You see if they can define cnn and nbc as liberal then the standard for what is liberal is lowered...

If those networks (aka corporations) were liberal they wouldn't be serving up the status quo talking points...the same ones that are on FOX!...If they actually were liberal they wouldn't be wasting time talking about scott fucking peterson and swift boat shit.

Originally posted by angelofdeath@Oct 28 2004, 07:14 PM

i guess depending on definitions you may be right. but anyone that doesnt think cnn doesnt lean left and fox doesnt lean right is out in left field.

more like out in RIGHT field !!!

I shit you not CNN jumped on the band wagon ... listen to the language they use. If you cant see the slant you are too much a part of the problem in this.

money talks.

there is no vast conspiracy I am trying to surface. Look at it like this ... if your boss has a view he wants you to put across or you loose your job what are you going to do ?? I would guess most of us would say "I would walk out" but 80% or more wouldnt ...i know i would want to only to wind up staying put(DEPENDING ON THE SEVERITY OF THE SITUATION). When you have the largest media outlets parent companies getting some of the biggest paychecks from the military spending who's agenda do you think they have in mind?? Liberals who want world peace, or war mongers ... its about money ... and how to make the most for your family and friends at the top. keeping those in power where they are.

I'm watching it right now.

hmmm..... interesting points.

Certainly the deal with the Saudis buying into Harken.

that's some realy shady shit right there.... regardless of who tells it.

I saw Fahrenheit 9/11, and I have to say it contains more truth about the war in Iraq than any other piece of american media i have ever experienced, except for maybe 'the cause of death' , by immortal technique. You could say that the editing was totally one-sided, fair enough, but come on, you can say that for any piece of media.

I saw michael moore on 'question time', which was live from florida (its a BBC series) last night and he seemed genuine, as mentioned above, not trying to force his views on anyone, just vouching for the best option for the majority -that means the man on the street not the one hidden away in some mansion palace.

Originally posted by boogie hands@Oct 23 2004, 01:13 AM

i still cant believe people take michael moore so seriously....HES A FUCKING ENTERTAINER!!!

How could that be hard to believe? He practically begs you to take him seriously.

And he attempts to influence just as much as he attempts to entertain. Look at his track record:

Roger and me: "deindustrialization is bad."

The big one: "corporate layoffs are bad."

Bowling for columbine: "guns (and charlton heston) are bad."

Fahrenheit 9/11: "bush is bad."

If he's only trying to entertain people he's picking an odd way of going about it.

remember the big stupid brouhaha over dan rather?

the impetus for the story, the real story, was completely

disregarded in favour of bashing dan.

which subsequently killed an even more important story

that 60minutes had ready to air..

that of the niger uranium fraud the bush admin used to

sell the invasion..in which 60minutes narrowed down, or

identified the source for that forgery etcetry.

well that story was killed by a senior vp, becuz "it is too

politically sensitive this close to the election". think about that.

is that liberal bias?

last week i saw a cbc newsworld doc where this same vp was

featured, stating matter-of-fact that it was flat out ridiculous

that cbs or any other major network would ever pull a politically

sensitive story that would affect itself or its parent company.

so for instance, she says that

a devastating story about cbs, or it's parent company, would

be aired, unimpeded by concerns for public perception and

profits. this is one example of many of how major media, owned by

massive corporations is completely subordinated to corporate

and conservative interests.