Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

faded silver pieces

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by TURBO DOG, Mar 19, 2004.

1. TURBO DOG

TURBO DOG Member

dont you hate catching you silvers like less than a year after you did them and the silver is all gone...i mean when i am broke i paint in silver...the wal mart shit fades way faster than the krylon or rusto silvers...but why would you buy expensive silver when there is the cheap shit...this dudes post about the rust stopper shit made me think...anyone ever thought of getting like clear coat spray or maybe even the high tech gloss shit you put on with a brush to put over your silvers...this would make those bitches last forever..i mean it wouldnt even take a long time you know?>??...i mean you catch onorocks shit from 99 and it is like not there all you see is like black with those cheezy white inners...whatever though this may stop silvers from fading...tell me what you think even though i will prolly never do this and neither will any of you!

2. 1HalfOfMe

1HalfOfMe Member

yea i wont do that shit. just buy the cheap whites for that shit. oh well, what can you do

3. Pfffffffffft

Pfffffffffft Moderator Crew

i know what you mean but i would think its extremely pointless to put a clear coat over wal-mart silver..you might as well just buy more expensive siver and go with that..

I THINK it acually depends on the paint inside the can..the company that makes wal-marts spray paint makes their stuff at suck a high scale and a low budget that the paint itself is inconsistant. a freight that we painted like 2 months ago just got posted in metal heads ALREADY had parts of my boys piece missing...because of the silver, another freight that we painted 2 YEARS ago got posted and the silver looked just fine...

thats just my theory

take the walmart paint for what it is worth- cheap as hell*
    sometimes you get for what you paid for

4. LEE_VING

LEE_VING Member

I LOVE THAT DIRTY OLDE SHIT...

HAHA...

I LOVE THOSE RUSTED, FADED PEACES... FORGET ABOUT THE LONGEVITY...IF THEY LAST LONG ENOUGH TO LOOK FADED THEN THAT IS THE SHIT... HALF THE TIME THEY ARE BUFFED BEFORE THEY REACH THE FADED STAGE ANYWAY... NOTHING BETTER THAN A RUSTED FADED PEACE ON A OLD CAR... PART OF THE GAME ALWAYS WILL BE... KEEP PAINTIN NON STOP AND SOME OF THE SILVERS YOU DO WILL ALWAYS LOOK NEW...

5. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel Veteran Member

Another color i have noticed that fades fast is Gold...But fuck paint with whatever you want because no matter what someone is gonna see it before it fades..

6. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

I'm with Lee, I love those rotted looking pieces where the fill is falling apart but the outline and inline are intact. In fact I do a lot of ghost fill pieces like that on purpose, either for speed or to save paint.
    The best silver I've seen for longevity is American Accents. That stuff has been shiny 2 years later, and faded to gray but all intact (no flaking) at 4 years. Rusto chrome sticks well but turns gray quickly, first year.

7. parcheesey

parcheesey New Jack

ok, can someone post a link to a flick of these well known wal mart silvers. ive heard so much about them but never have seen them.

8. krowteN

krowteN Member

that clear coat shit is too much work. To boot, it will prolly involve you waiting around until the paint in the piece is dry.

heres an expiriment that i tried 2 years ago. i got 3 cans of silver
    krylon, aa rusto and traditional (stops rust) rustoleum.
    i did a 3 letter crew e2e on a car that is local. i did each letter in a different brand of silver. its a local so i see the car quite often and the traditional rusto (obviously) is the one that is holding the toughest. the bling bling is gone but the dull gray coverage is still pretty solid.
    the aa silver is about the same as the traditional rusto.
    the krylon might as well be the fucken 98 cent walmart silver. the stroke lines are showing through and the paint is starting to fade and expose the cars original color.

i used to always use cheap silver on steel but stopped because so many of my pieces got faded in less than a year because of it. i love silver pieces but now i will only do them if i have rusto silver.

i also agree with the whole faded piece thing. a well aged piece has a certain attractiveness to it. looks like it has become one with the car.

9. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

I've had really good experiences with america's finest brand silver.

10. TURBO DOG

TURBO DOG Member

silvers

yeah it was just a thought you know..i mean i never thought that i would actually do this...
    hey ZED me and my homey were talking about doing that with the three different kinds of silvers on local shit!! any how yeah man it was only an experimental thought!!

11. panic

panic Member

shullack that shit up right quick, skippy!
    i think that the clear would go on over top just like any other paint, but i may be wrong. another thing i must try sometime.

12. sober

sober Guest

burners and burners only.

13. noschool2day

noschool2day Junior Member

who the fuck buys paint?

14. Pfffffffffft

Pfffffffffft Moderator Crew

i do...

am i less cool?

15. P0rn0KinG

P0rn0KinG Senior Member