fabricating with fiberglass

seeking

so i'm learning welding this semester, which is something i've always wanted to do, but yesterday, while looking at custom sound system installs, i realized it is imperitive that i know fiberglass as well.

sooooo, can anyone give me a heads up? you dont have to go through the whole process, but just a brief synopsis of how its done, the dificulty involved, costs, time, etc, etc.

seeking/12ozoogle.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest imported_El Mamerro

As far as I know, working in fiberglass is a shitstorm. But, the end results can be really fucking awesome, so it pays off.

That is all.

No, but seriously, I was once very much interested in it for some time, just needed a reason to give it a try... but none of my projects really needed fiber, so I couldn't (spare time = drinking, learning software). Then I witnessed some of my friends go through some pretty fucking frustrating times trying to pull it off, and it really turned me off... seems to take quite a while to get the hang of it and make decent stuff. Add to this my atrocious craftmanship, and my future in fiber looked bleak. Not to mention it's one of the most toxic and harmful shop activities you can have if you don't take the appropiate safety measures.

It would be neat to learn it (always wanted to weld too, how's that coming along?) if I could focus nearly 100% of my time on it.

i'm not trying to fabricate big dancing donkeys for thanksgiving parades or anything, mostly ill just be doing behind-the-scenes structural stuff. plus, im just the type of guy that wants to be able to take two coconuts and build a boxcar. i'm like ted nugent, all i need is my leatherman and my glock and i can survive forever.

welding is good so far.

i think its the kind of thing that is really easy to do, and really difficult to do really well. perhaps if we're lucky When will drop in and school us.

Well, you said you won't be making big dancing donkeys, so you can't claim to be wanting to make "sweet shit".

Look up "sweet shit" in the dictionary... BOOM, giant dancing fiberglass donkeys.

hey Mamerro didnt jaime make a skateboard deck out of fiberglass.?

all of my friends who have worked with fiberglass have hated the process. the shit is some serious health badness.. like bond-o.. but 10 times worse..

as for forming fiberglass depending on the tpe of fiberglass.. woven, non woven etc.. its a different process..

and also like most industrial processes you have to take into consideration how complicated your forms are.. if you want to see a basic production process of fiberglass

find the Eames dvd about the classic eames fiberglass chair. i cant give you the name off the top of my head.. but i remember that dvd basically walked you through that process..

either way.. the Eames movies.. are worth buying..

on a related side note:

i went to a place that manufactured Sunfishes.. and various sailing boats ..

you could smell the fiberglass from half a mile away and once we left it took 2 weeks of airing out to get the smell out of my clothes.

if

Well, his deck was wood, but yeah, he covered it in resin to hold the shape in. He didn't seem to have half as much trouble as most people I've seen, but then again, what he was doing was fairly simple compared with full-on parts molding.

Yo, did you ever go to that place where they made racing sailboats? They had this hugeass carbon fiber mast fresh off the molds, shit was HAWT.

i dont get it is that some trunk casing for a subwoofer or something.. is that what you want to make?

making molds has never been a strong point of mine.. you'd probably want to ask mammero.

and that shit looks gugly.

i mean if it was my car.. id make everything out of carbon fiber. carbon fiber and Kaolin.(milk protein)

of course its fugly, it's just the first casting.

here's the final product.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid95/p1a43921eb3fc240b868baae51e651ead/fa266801.jpg'>

i dont want something like that exactly, i was just showing the 'type' of stuff i wanted to do. that kind of mold work.

and in case you didnt notice, mams doesnt know his ass from a tucked planche. he's useless to me. beer.

seeks/sharps

Originally posted by seeking

and in case you didnt notice, mams doesnt know his ass from a tucked planche. he's useless to me.

Zing factor = 9

Originally posted by seeking

i think its the kind of thing that is really easy to do, and really difficult to do really well.

i was just about to say this exact same thing about fiberglass...

i haven't worked with it in a long time, but in my experience it was pretty easy to do real simple shit, making something look pretty was the hard part...

and welding is fun as shit... what kind are you learning?

mig, tig and oxyacetaline(?). i know the first two...and theres one other as well. class just started.

made my first welds last week.

seriously, the hardest part is seeing what you're doing.

when i was a teenager, i did ALOT of acid, and one of our favorite acid games, was to pile 10 people into the bathroom, shut the door, everyone would stare down at the toilet, then take a camera (sans film) and take a picture of it (ie: the flash) then we'd all stand there going 'hollllllly shit dude, i can see you're face!!' cause the imprint would be burned into your retinas. it was funny at the time, but its seriously destroyed my night vision.

because of that, when the mask drops down, i cant really see what i'm doing at all. even when its arcing, it's still incredibly dark.

i need to see about getting a lighter glass or something.

i wanna learn tig... all i know is mig and stick welding (but welding with some car batteries and jumper cables is fucking hard core)

learning to weld blind os one of the best things you could ever learn... back i actually worked a job that involved welding, there's be times when i only needed to weld every 1/2 hour or so, the rest of the time was spent with drills and bolts and shit... so instead of wearing the mask the whole time, whenever i actually needed to weld i'd just line it up, cover it with my glove so it blocked the arc, and go at it... it toook a litle while to be able to do anything more than about 2 inches, but after a bit you get the hang of it...

battery and jumper cables huh? you gotta fill me in on that one. that sounds right up my alley (i once used a chopped up extension cord to run my amp).

i would be all about welding blind, but the class is a welding sculpture glass, so they've got to be presentable welds. even more of a problem, is that im pretty sure the legalities involved would be a bit more than my teacher would be feeling.

this week im learning plasma cutting. super stoked on that. im about to start doing some ill ass steel installations like revs.

the more i do stuff like this, the more i really wish i had a shop job. making things is fun, no matter what it is.

hook 2 or 3 car batteries in a series with the jumpers (you need the kind you can split in 2, like with cheap speaker wire) your last two clips from the cable, one hooked to one pole of the first battery, the other hooked to the other pole of the other battery, one holds your stick, the other gets clipped to your metal...

and welding blind is for when your doing it at home... if the glass is really too dark for you, and you really think yer gonna stick with it (these things are kinda spendy) look into the masks that are clear until it sees an arc, then it goes black... i've only used em a few times, but they are a million times easier to see through before you arc, and usually they're a little ligter while arcing... but i've heard that if you use em too much it can cause retinal damage, because of the fraction of a second between the beginning of the arc and the glass going dark...

Originally posted by TEARZ

Zing Factor= .0000000371

var zingFactor;

zingFactor = userInput_txt;

if (zingFactor < 1) {

movieQuote.bigLebowski.walter2 == true;

zingFactor = "";

} else {

this.gotoAndPlay ("continueDiscuss");

}

trace (movieQuote.bigLebowski.walter2);