eyeball jewelry>>> new trend!!??

Pfffffffffft

Eyeball jewelry a new Dutch fashion trend

Surgeons implant glittering shapes into eye's membrane

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4685961/

Michael Kooren / Reuters

Deborah Boer models the "Jewel Eye" in her hometown of Driebergen, Netherlands on Wednesday. The "Jewel Eye" is implanted underneath the conjunctiva, the mucous membrane covering the eye.

Updated: 4:00 p.m. ET April 07, 2004AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Body piercing and tattoos make way. The latest fashion trend to hit the Netherlands is eyeball jewelry.

advertisement

Dutch eye surgeons have implanted tiny pieces of jewelry called “JewelEye” in the mucous membrane of the eyes of six women and one man in cosmetic surgery pioneered by an ophthalmic surgery research and development institute in Rotterdam.

The procedure involves inserting a 0.13 inch wide piece of specially developed jewelry -- the range includes a glittering half-moon or heart -- into the eye’s mucous membrane under local anaesthetic at a cost of $610 to $1,232.

“In my view it is a little more subtle than (body) piercing. It is a bit of a fun thing and a very personal thing for people,” said Gerrit Melles, director of the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery.

The piece of jewelry is inserted in the conjunctiva -- the mucous membrane lining the inner surface of the eyelids and front of the eyeball -- in sterile conditions using an operating microscope in a procedure taking about 15 minutes.

“Without doing any harm to the eye we can implant a jewel in the conjunctiva,” Melles said. “So far we have not seen any side effects or complications and we don’t expect any in the future.”

The Rotterdam-based institute, which develops new ocular surgical techniques in corneal, cataract and retinal surgery, developed and patented the jewelry made with special materials and the surgical procedure.

The institute, which carries out the procedure in cooperation with an eye clinic near the city of Utrecht, said it has a waiting list for people who wanted the implant.

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

look at the veins around the heart... is that normal?

anyway thats a stupid ass idea, it looks retarded, costs a grip, and costs a grip to take out (which any sane person would do once they realized how goofy it looks. it looks like a little gold heart sticker they plopped on their eye.

Originally posted by mr.yuck

Yo just wait til rappers start gettin their eyes iced out. That shit is gonna be awesome. If you shine a light in their eyes, it will set their brains on fire.

the possiblities are endless.

henessy bottles, nike symbols, money signs..lol...i think it could get out of hand.

I think this stuff is pretty cool.

I don’t know if I would go that far, considering I have already resolved never to get a piercing, but I really want a pair of Dallas Cowboys contact lenses. Putting them in would be the tricky part. I have a hard time putting eye drops in, even.