external hard drive knowledge needed.

Guest diggity

Guest diggity

ok peoples. i need a little help. im wanting to assemble at least 100 GB external firewire drive for editing video so it needs to be atleast 7200 rpms. i've check pricewatch for the hard drive, but my question to you peoples is this. since im making an external, i know i need to buy the case, how much else is there? is it hard to hook up?

the drive i found is a western digital with a 3 year warrenty,8 meg cache, 8.9 seek time.

who makes the best HD's?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest diggity

pistol:

well its like this. i cant capture video at home. i have to do that at school with the deck they have. i've got footage on high8, dv cam, minidv, and as ghetto as VHS, but in order to back those files up, and not break them into 700megs files, i need more space. that along with, i work on different computers, i dont have time to load 10 cds and wait for it to copy. firewire copies much faster. so theres my reasoning.

you may want to check pricewatch. i dont know if the one you are looking at is 5400 or 7200, but i found 1 7200 for a few bucks cheaper.

what ever you do stay away from MAXTOR's.....they suck balls...the one i had would always fuck up on boot....i took it apart one day and there was a shread of paper on the plater...thats right....a shread of fucking paper...i was pissed...so far, the most reliable drives that i have bought and used are Quantums and Western Digitals.....dont go for no slow ass 5000rpm....shell out the extra 50 or 60 bucks and get the 7200 like you are planning......ive never set up an external, and i have very little experence with firewire, so i cant really help you much....the big thing is, DONT BUY A MAXTOR!!!!.......okay....good luck...

Guest diggity

thanks for the look out on the maxtor. i hadnt planned on getting it based on the fact i hadnt ever heard of them. sucks about the paper. 7200 is cool but if i could only jump on one of those 10ks...

Guest diggity

with that said. does anyone know how to install it into the case? what is needed and whatnot. dico, how is western digital?

Guest --zeSto--

me a weenie??

your best bet is a massive firewire drive.

I take it your using ofline (or dv) compressed video right?

If so you dont need a blazing fast drive. Better to tailor to you needs.

I'd like to reccomend a fiber channel jbod set-up,

but they're stupid expensive.

like mine...

drool here

this might be good for you.

and swif1.. it's probably a bios issue. time to upgrade

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dont really know much..and i dont have the slightlest clue on what Zesto is saying. However if someone knows that shit in here Zesto is the man.

So to add the only info i got for you...Western digital makes VERY good HD's.

Archived