Exploring the Singularity.

Guest amorphic

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest amorphic

Listen boys....if you use your eyes and take 5 minutes to read the article you'd find that it talks about the exponential rate at which technology is growing....which in the next 20 years or so will lead to computer technology that surpasses human brain processing power. This is the point at which Nature and Technology merge into one singularity. Which in laymans (Read "Average 12ozprophet User") terms means,

sentinel.jpg

Hyper intelligent robots will exterminate all organic life on Earth.

Guest amorphic
Originally posted by Mr. ABC+May 10 2005, 11:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - May 10 2005, 11:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-amorphic@May 11 2005, 04:27 PM

Hyper intelligent robots will exterminate all organic life on Earth.

gawd. :rolleyes:

word of advice:

stop smoking pot and watching the matrix.

[/b]

I bet you haven't even read the article have you? Or the hundreds of other articles on the VERY SAME subject written by various scientists and mathemeticians working at universities and research centers across the globe..... :chicken:

Guest amorphic
Originally posted by rental@May 10 2005, 11:42 PM

mahahahaha!!! this threads a joke.

and note to you: just because theres reading material on it, doesnt make it true.

I would agree with you on the point that not all things that are written about are true. However, when scientists in fields ranging from NASA to biotechnology to mathematics all speculate that it is possible for it to happen, I tend to lean towards it.

Oh, and Mr. ABC, nice comeback.

The matrix bit was meant as a joke, not a serious argument.

Guest amorphic
Originally posted by TURBOCAPSLOK@May 10 2005, 11:49 PM

YOU HAVE A DISEASE. ITS CALLED STUPIDITY.

I would have to say the same thing to you, Mr. Capslock, considering you are attacking me personally instead of trying to refute the actual argument.

Originally posted by amorphic@May 11 2005, 04:48 PM

I would agree with you on the point that not all things that are written about are true. However, when scientists in fields ranging from NASA to biotechnology to mathematics all speculate that it is possible for it to happen, I tend to lean towards it.

lean towards what? when it all comes down to it, they're guessing. unless they've got a crystal ball or a tricked out delorian in the parking lot, they don't know if it's going to happen any more than you or i. i don't care how many phd's they've got on their walls.

is it a possibility? sure, but so is the possibility of me marrying scarlett johanssen next year. is it set in stone? no.

Guest amorphic
Originally posted by Mr. ABC+May 10 2005, 11:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - May 10 2005, 11:55 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-amorphic@May 11 2005, 04:48 PM

lean towards what? when it all comes down to it, they're guessing. unless they've got a crystal ball or a tricked out delorian in the parking lot, they don't know if it's going to happen any more than you or i. i don't care how many phd's they've got on their walls.

is it a possibility? sure, but so is the possibility of me marrying scarlett johanssen next year. is it set in stone? no.

[/b]

That's all I wanted. It's a possibility that's all, albeit a scary/interesting one.

Originally posted by amorphic@May 11 2005, 02:00 AM

That's all I wanted. It's a possibility that's all, albeit a scary/interesting one.

Yeah, all he wanted was for somebody he didn't know on a graffiti website to admit to the remote possibility of a kind of cracked out theory that he didn't even come up with being maybe capable of happening.

HE FUCKING SHOWED YOU, ABC. IN YOUR FACE.

Guest amorphic
Originally posted by GnomeToys+May 11 2005, 12:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GnomeToys - May 11 2005, 12:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-amorphic@May 11 2005, 02:00 AM

Yeah, all he wanted was for somebody he didn't know on a graffiti website to admit to the remote possibility of a kind of cracked out theory that he didn't even come up with being maybe capable of happening.

HE FUCKING SHOWED YOU, ABC. IN YOUR FACE.

[/b]

Calm down friend. Just thought that maybe someone might be interested in this article....perhaps not....

Guest amorphic
Originally posted by TURBOCAPSLOK@May 11 2005, 12:20 AM

HMM MAYBE THAT DISEASE IS HOMOSEXUALITY AND NOT STUPIDITY AFTERALL

Is that supposed to offend me haha?

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Interesting indeed, but futurists are notorious for having a steady history of completely failing to visualize the future anywhere near what actually happens.

It's good to be mindful, but don't expect any of this to come true to the extent laid out on the article.