Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Exif Removal

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by The Big Lebowski, Jan 4, 2005.

1. The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski New Jack

As many people are aware, when you take a picture with a digital camera information about the picture settings and the camera used are stored as part of the picture. Basically, if you register your camera with the manufacturer, then use the camera to take yard flicks or such and then publish them on a website then authorities can find out exactly who you are from the picture easily enough. Has anyone here found a program that can remove this info from a batch of flicks easily? At the moment it involes cut and paste into a new image in photoshop to remove it. A pain in the ass and time consuming.

2. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

3. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

Sucks to be you.

4. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

I havent registered my camera.
    /home free

5. trackstand

trackstand Senior Member

6. The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski New Jack

Well registering it is not the only problem. It links all your flicks to the same camera regardless. I have a lot of yard shots of stuff, proper trains not freights, and to be caught with them means I have no way to explain what I was doing in the yard at that time traking those flicks.

7. Hermdog

Hermdog Elite Member

Don't register..and remember that the camera isn't yours

8. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

Where did you get this information?

I've looked through EXIFs for all three of the digicams I owned just now and see no unique identifying information in any of them, just camera make & model. Sometimes even that is vague. Do you have any proof that this is actually being done or is this one of those magical "I heard this from a friend of a friend" crackpot urban legends?

9. El Producto

El Producto Senior Member

"wow...how the hell did those get on here?"

:naughty:

10. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

haha worst explaination ever.

11. I'm not sure how big of a threat the exif tags are to be honest but i gave it some tests and this is how you remove them.

I used IrfanView which btw is the best free image viewer if you dont wanna be using photoshop to view your flicks, make a slideshow etc.

Anyway,

Save the flick as a tiff> Open tiff, resave as a jpg> Exif info erased as they get lost once converted to tiff.

(For this option, using a photoshop action to automate the process makes this really fast and effortless)

Thats for sure one way, now, if you use irfanview when you open a jpg and try to save it with a new name you have a small window with save options were you set the compression etc. Among the options theres this little box that sais 'keep original exif tag' leave that unticked and your new copy will be exif free.

Thats all

12. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

You're going to lose quality by converting going JPG -> TIFF -> JPG but when you're this paranoid I guess you don't care. The file still has a date on it, so you'd better figure out a way to erase that too. Also, remnants of it that can be retrieved by forensic scientists will remain on your hard drive and memory card, so you better erase those at least 20 times each with bit shifted information. Also, you don't know where the information is stored on your hard drive so better erase the whole thing 20 times as soon as you read this message.

13. jpg to tiff is losless if you dont use compression on the tiff.

14. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

TIFF->JPEG will attempt to re-encode the JPEG artifacts present in the lossless TIFF back into JPEG gradient blocks, probably making them stand out more.

15. hmm, could be but if you keep the highest quality values in all conversion it shouldnt be anything visible...this thread just got hysterical head to toes, haha