Ex-US Marine runs off with a 12-year old British ... girl? (w/ pics)

Poop Man Bob

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manches...ter/3069289.stm

'Warrant' for missing marine's arrest

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39278000/jpg/_39278331_newpair_203.jpg..jpg'>

The pair have been missing for three days

Confusion continues to surround the whereabouts of schoolgirl Shevaun Pennington and Toby Studabaker. Police on both sides of the Channel are continuing to search for the pair who went missing three days ago.

French police said Shevaun, from Wigan, flew back to the UK to Liverpool from Paris on the day she disappeared but Mr Studabaker was not with her. The pair were said to have spent two hours in the transit area of Charles De Gaulle airport after flying in on Saturday from Heathrow.

Greater Manchester Police said they had been told by Interpol there was an S Pennington in a party of five on a pre-booked flight to Liverpool on Saturday. But detectives are "very dubious" over whether this would turn out to be Shevaun, said Superintendent Peter Mason, who is heading the inquiry.

Two senior UK officers are in France to continue investigations. Easyjet said they "don't believe" Shevaun was a passenger on their 2235 BST service from Charles De Gaulle to Liverpool .

CCTV footage

Interpol also said it also could not confirm the schoolgirl was on board. Manchester detectives are going through CCTV footage from both airports, said Mr Mason. French police had earlier said they had no evidence the pair entered the country after checking weekend flights.

Mr Mason said Mr Studabaker, from Michigan, did not have a criminal record. But US police told the BBC they had twice investigated Mr Studabaker over allegations of improper behaviour against a child - all inquiries were later dropped.

One investigation involved the "improper touching" of a 12-year-old girl. Mr Studabaker was arrested, but the prosecutors' office cleared him of all charges. He went on to spend three years in the US marines, before being discharged with an injured shoulder.

Earlier Home Secretary David Blunkett told the Commons his office had been in touch with his French counterpart Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy, who had vowed to take "every possible step" to track down the pair.

E-mails

After her disappearance, Shevaun's parents realised she had taken a bag and passport and found she had been in e-mail contact with Mr Studabaker for some time. Greater Manchester police have said Shevaun met Mr Studabaker on Saturday when he flew from Detroit to Manchester, before they both flew to London en route to Paris.

Mr Studabaker's sister-in-law Sherry said Shevaun had told the marine she was a 19-year-old college student. "He would never hurt her, if she actually is 12. He would back away and tell her 'no'."

Shevaun's father Stephen Pennington said: "We just want you back, we're not angry with you, we love you very much and just want you to come home."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39276000/jpg/_39276887_studabaker203.jpg'>

• Toby Studabaker: ex-3rd Battalion 6th Marines

• In military four years

• Worked with anti-terrorism unit

• Served in Afghanistan

• Left marines in June with shoulder injury

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39275000/jpg/_39275089_shevaunnew203.jpg'>

Apparently another picture of the same girl ... although they look nothing alike.

I just read in another article on the subject that her parents instituted a 5-hour Internet time limit per day, after realizing she was spending upwards of 11 FUCKING HOURS ONLINE EACH DAY.

Man, she's rugged, and I don't believe most Americans fully understand about foreign teeth... still, by now I'm wondering... if he was into it, he probably gone over there, pegger her once and said:

"HOLY SHIT! YOU'RE TWELVE!!!"

then made some big apology when he took her back to the farm and headed home, no sweat but... at this point it's getting hard to think he's innocent

Originally posted by SteveAustin

"twice investigated for allegations of improper behavior against a child."

wtf...man? this doesn't exactly help in the innocent dept.

You might think so BUT... since both cases were later dropped, this is JUST the sort of evidence that a Judge is likely to find predjudicial and not admit into trail,; meaning that no jury will ever hear that fact (I know, it's in the media, seems strange but...)

Originally posted by Smart

You might think so BUT... since both cases were later dropped, this is JUST the sort of evidence that a Judge is likely to find predjudicial and not admit into trail,; meaning that no jury will ever hear that fact (I know, it's in the media, seems strange but...)

yeah, I didn't think about what would be admissable. if it comes to him needing a lawyer...any lawyer worth his salt would definitely fight to keep that knowledge from the jury.

off on a tangent...I think the media is definitely making it harder for some people to get a fair trial now a days. the story never brakes until they have all this extra background info. anyone remember when the news was impartial and just informative?

Originally posted by SteveAustin

off on a tangent...I think the media is definitely making it harder for some people to get a fair trial now a days. the story never brakes until they have all this extra background info. anyone remember when the news was impartial and just informative?

Yeah... true, and I would blame that on the right wing but... later for that... for now, I agree but also, the flip side of that coin is that we wouldn't have Pres. Bush looking like Nixon trying to downplay what appear to be lies in the state of the union address...

But yeah, I think, if the courts do ANYTHING in the near future I think they should reform the inequities icurrently inherent in the reporting of 'high-profile' stories...

for example: Kobe... people ask if his name has been tarnished before he's had a trial, or even been arrested.... and the 'nameless' victim, sure, the media isn't reporting her name nationally but she lives in a TINY town so everyone around her knows, everyone in her world, so, it seems like that's inherently hypocritical on the press' part...

but back to the Child Abuser Vacation in Paris...

But yeah, I think, if the courts do ANYTHING in the near future I think they should reform the inequities currently inherent in the reporting of 'high-profile' stories...

How would this be done without interfering with First Amendment rights - Freedom of press, freedom of speech? And is that necessarily the job of the courts?

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

Wow .. when was this?!?

I seem to remember the early 80's being pretty informative without any of the extra background that is provided now. Back then, they would broadcast the story and almost leave it as a why would that happen like that curiousity. maybe I'm just imagining things. I want to say it was shows like Hard Copy(?) that changed things. I can't remember for sure. Ask your parents PMB...I'd bet they remember.

uh, yeah...back to the american child molester in Paris...

ooops...I mean alleged.

I blame the internet.

There used to be one newspaper a day, and

possibly there's be an evening edition if the war had ended.

There was a news report at 6:00pm and 11:00pm. They might

interupt the footbal game if someone shot the president.

Then radio would give you news at nine and noon, but then back

to the oldies for the rest of the working day.

Now everyone needs immediate satisfaction of their perverse curiosity.

We need to know every background detail right now with chrats and

animation to make them more palatable.

boo-urns.

off on a tangent

since it came up...

the media has practically hung the Baylor athlete who is suspected of being a part of his friend's disappearance..

poor guy..if he's innocent, he's screwed..shit, either way he's screwed..

remember the olympic park bombing?

they were ready to hang that guy.

and now its steven hatfield (sp?)

they can't find the source of the anthrax, so the FBI lets the media know who they think is guilty, and ruins the guy's life..

also reminds me of a local case form a year or two ago..an FBI agent shot a 19 year old boy in the face when he didn't get out of his car fast enough..he hadn't done ANYTHING wrong at all..they were confuding him with someone else..and the agent did not face charges

Re: off on a tangent

Originally posted by !@#$%

I still feel sorry for that guy. He went from Hero to Zero in nothing flat. Thats the other problem with the media...they're so anxious to broadcast everything that destroys a persons life. How come they don't then take the flip side and attack the cops for false accusations? Oh yea...thats right...they're here to protect and serve us...pfft...what was I thinking.

Re: off on a tangent

since it came up...

the media has practically hung the Baylor athlete who is suspected of being a part of his friend's disappearance..

poor guy..if he's innocent, he's screwed..shit, either way he's screwed..

and now its steven hatfield (sp?)

they can't find the source of the anthrax, so the FBI lets the media know who they think is guilty, and ruins the guy's life..

also reminds me of a local case form a year or two ago..an FBI agent shot a 19 year old boy in the face when he didn't get out of his car fast enough..he hadn't done ANYTHING wrong at all..they were confuding him with someone else..and the agent did not face charges

I think of those situations all the time. I get so pisssed. The government picks some poor asshole and destroys there life just to try to restore some confidence in the publics eye.

How would this be done without interfering with First Amendment rights - Freedom of press, freedom of speech? And is that necessarily the job of the courts?

Well, in the case of the Courts I would say absolutely it's their job. I think it's obvious that if the exercise of a 'free press' or 'free speech' actually hampers the ability of a citizen to get a fair trial then, 'free speech' must be curtailed... This is why Judges frequently 'close' proceedings, or limit coverage to microphones only...

The information is still entered into the 'public record' but sometimes even then files are sealed.

I mean, say what you want but when a man's freedom is on the line...

the media and the government have a responsibilty, that supercedes their right to free speech, to present the most accurate, truthful, and unbiased information

there is no one holding anyone accountable anymore..i mean, look at how far jayson blair got before someone figured out it was all a bunch of bullshit..

pathetic.

and now the FCC, the only real police we have for our media, is folding to their wishes, allowing the creation of a single minded press

Guest mikro137

Man, she's rugged, and I don't believe most Americans fully understand about foreign teeth..

you arent kidding bro...

and now the FCC, the only real police we have for our media, is folding to their wishes, allowing the creation of a single minded press

well therein lies a problem... the FCC was formed as a watchdog group devoted to making sure that radio stations in the same area weren't broadcasting on the same bandwidth... basically a registry... shortly there-after the designed a naming convention, which was adopted and turned itno law and... since then they have exercised an increasing strangle hold on our broadcast media, and that is unfortunately, but obviously, tied to a political agenda... as evidenced by the recent 'relaxation' of laws governing media monpolies... enabling media giants like Claerchannel communications to rule geographic areas as virtual fifedoms.

Guest BROWNer

Manchester detectives are going through CCTV footage from both airports

this is totally irrelevant to the topic, but i've always wondered why

and how there has never been a single still from an airport CCTV

camera identifying any of the fingered 'arab' hijackers from 9/11..i mean..

i always found that really very odd....they had no problem with releasing

suveillance footage from walmart when atta was there, and practically

everything else they 'found' (flight manuals in arabic, atta's near immaculate

passport on a street near the WTC towers, etcetry)but zero

airport surveillance...

LONDON (July 15) - Toby Studabaker, the former U.S. Marine who disappeared with a 12-year-old English girl he met over the Internet, has phoned his relatives to say the child is safe and that he was contacting the FBI, his brother said Tuesday.

Leo Studabaker told BBC News his brother did not give his location or that of the girl, Shevaun Pennington. Police traced them as far as Charles de Gaulle airport near Paris.

Leo Studabaker said his 31-year-old brother had been deceived into meeting the girl and that he was ``very mad when he found she had lied about her age.''

Greater Manchester Police said they had not yet been able to confirm that the ex-Marine had been in touch with the FBI, but that police officers were checking. They also said it had been confirmed that Shevaun was not the passenger named Pennington who flew to Liverpool on Saturday from de Gaulle airport, as French police had believed.

``From what I understand, Shevaun had written a letter and signed it for him to give to the authorities clearing him of any wrongdoing,'' Leo Studabaker said.

The ex-Marine, who spoke to his sister-in-law, Sherry Studabaker, said Toby had contacted the FBI and wanted to resolve the situation.

``I gave him a phone number to get hold of the FBI. I called the number and the lady told me she was talking on the phone to Toby Studabaker,'' Sherry Studabaker told BBC television.

``Shevaun is fine, she is not hurt, she is unharmed,'' she said.

The girl, of Lowton, near Manchester in northern England, left Britain on Saturday with Studabaker, of Constantine, Mich. Authorities believe they met over the Internet.

Leo Studabaker of Three Rivers, Mich., said his brother thought the girl was at least 18.

``I honestly don't think he knew anything about her being the age that she, I guess, is,'' Leo Studabaker said. ``He was very insistent that she was 18 or 19 years old.''

Stephen Pennington said on Monday that he wasn't aware of his daughter's relationship with the American.

``She loves punk rock and spends loads of her spare time on the computer. We keep it in the kitchen and knew she was talking to people online, but didn't know there was anyone in particular,'' Pennington said.

Studabaker joined the Marines in 2000 and served in an anti-terrorism unit in Afghanistan, said Sgt. Spencer Harris, a spokesman for Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. He was discharged on June 30, Harris said.

A senior British official said the case added urgency to legislation intended to outlaw cultivating sexual contacts over the Internet.

``There isn't a parent who knows and understands that their child will use the Internet, who doesn't have great sympathy with them in terms of what has happened and the way it has happened,'' Home Secretary David Blunkett told the House of Commons.