EVH APPRECIATION THREAD!

Mauler5150

42250050_ee3c4415ac.jpg

I did a search and saw the mighty Van Halen is mentioned throughout these forums a bit.

I wanted my first thread to be a good one, and after watching 'Back to the Future' the other night and hearing the part EVH is playing when the band audition is held I got restarted on a Van Halen kick again.

Anyway, I must say, that EVH is the man responsible for some of the greatest music ever written. I wasn't even born when Eruption came out, but even today, when I listen to that track, I can just imagine how revolutionary it must have been. It is definitely a 'face-melting' guitar solo :burn:

Like all good musos, EVH has the mandatory well known drug problem (alcohol) and it helped him to write the best album (IMO) of his career in Fair Warning (co-incidently released the year I was born). Plus the man was good enough to use a sample of his Lamborghini revving in a song! (Panama)

If it wasn't for the great breakup of the original lineup, the world mightn't have been blessed with the great Steve Vai either.

Anyhow, post all your appreciation for Edward Van Halen here, and I hope you don't think this is a bad topic.

BTW. I am listening to 'Feelin' right now and I must say, I love this song.

42250053_920069e53b.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

FACT #1: This is an excellent first thread.

FACT #2: I am absolutely fucking wasted. I just witnessed a girl accidentally piss herself in a car, after which my dad made so much fun of her she cried.

FACT #3: I have uploaded "Eruption" so that everyone who hasn't heard it before may shit their pants at the absolute awesomeness that is this song.

Van Halen, "Eruption"

I like Eddie, but...Dave was the group. He had the image, and was a born showman...Sammy Hagar had no business to try and fill his shoes.

Every album up to "1984" is amazing. Period. After "1984", complete and utter crap. Radio fodder for the masses...something Diamond Dave wouldn't have been able to deal with. Dave, in my opinion, knew where the bar was supposed to be set as far as live performances go...but, again, Sammy Hagar just sits there with the headset he borrowed from Milli Vanilli and screams and wails about another bad relationship he's stuck in. And all the while Eddie pulverizes your brain with his patented Endless Monster Riffs. Bitchin' dude.

I agree with you about Dave.

But I started this thread to appreciate Eddie alone, not the other members of the group. I didn't want it to degenerate into a Van Halen vs Van Hagar arguement, just wanted to appreciate EVH's influence to musicians, thats all.

I guess where Ed's downfall is, is that he is jealous of Dave's personality in some regards. After reading 'Crazy from the Heat" this is the vibe I could feel. As it seemed as though in discussing the reunion for Best of Vol. 1 Dave speaks about it honestly.

But yeah, at least when DLR left the band, he started up the 'Super band' and for that reason as well I appreciate him.

He can play the fuck out of a guitar, for sure. I won't argue with that at all...but, where is he now? Warner Bros. dropped VH after they hired the guy from Extreme to sing...

...I'm trying to visualize the guy who sang "More Than Words" singing "Panama"...nope, can't do it.

I was SO excited when I saw Dave back with them for a second in the nineties...I was hoping and praying for a tour, but alas, it was not to be.

I read "Crazy From The Heat" too. That book is gold. Diamond Dave is defintely the Hebrew Pimp Of The Year, and a smart motherfucker to boot. He needs to find some fresh blood and start the band that he deserves to be in. I like him mainly because he has a sense of humor that won't quit, and he doesn't take himself or rock and roll too seriously. He is his own man.

I'll stop talking about Dave, sorry. "Intruder" is my favorite VH song, followed by "Everybody Wants Some!!" I wish someone could come along and tap into that vibe again, and send emo packing back to the suburbs it came from. Rock just isn't satisfying to me anymore, as far as what gets a lot of play/promotion, anyway. There's some hot bands that don't get their due...but there will only be one Van Halen, unfortunately. Maybe cloning can help...

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...