Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Eurotrip Part 2 (Travel Superthread)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Reuben Kinkaid, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Reuben Kinkaid

Reuben Kinkaid Elite Member

A while back I made a thread about my upcoming trip to Europe. Back then it was yonks away and was an overly-ambitious 5 month plan visiting as many countries as possible. Now, thanks to more planning and a sense of realism, the official plan has been made, cut back to 3 months and select countries. I leave on May 1st, and would love to hear people's experiences, tips for the countries I'll be in, good places to stay, drink, and just enjoy ourselves.

Here is a map of our route (as always subject to change):

[​IMG]

- Sheffield/Liverpool, England.
    - Dublin, Ireland.
    - Normandy/Paris, France
    - Geneva, Switzerland
    - Brugge, Belgium
    - Amsterdam, Holland
    - Auschwitz, Poland
    - Prague, Czech Republic
    - World Cup 2006, Germany, which will be the cities of Frankfurt, Nurnberg, Koln, Dusseldorf, Stuttgart, Munich and Berlin.
    - Florence/Rome, Italy
    - Barcelona, Spain
    - London, England
    - Home

So quite a packed few months. I can give specific dates if anyone is going to be in any of these places during the summer, and anyone already there (Pinup you cheese-eating surrender monkey, I'm looking in your direction), I'd love to meet up.

A lot of you on here are really well-travelled and give excellent tips and advice on the places you've been. I do have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone used a Eurail pass before? I bought one and thought it was just the train equivalent of a bus pass, but after reading the book that came with it, it sounds like you have to buy the actual ticket (which makes sense). Plus if you're travelling straight through a country that isn't included on the pass (ie. no stops) do you still have to buy a ticket for that leg of the trip?

2. Anyone who has been on an extended trip like this, what did you do about money? I plan to just take my Visa card and bank card, and take out money from ATM's. I was told that Travellers Cheques are a bad idea since not many places actually accept them. I'm just curious if there's a safer/more secure way of carrying money around than cash or depending on 2 cards.

That's all I can think of right now. Anyway, feel free to add. Lot's of other people seem to be making plans to go abroad, we may as well turn this in to a Travel Superthread...

Cheers.

2. Dog Chapman

Dog Chapman Dirty Dozen Crew

3. _nightcrawler

_nightcrawler Elite Member

fuck man. have fun in europe when you do eventually do this. Im sorry but i cant give you any tips because i have not been to europe. but my question is "are you going to make a comedy movie about your experiences?"

4. Reuben Kinkaid

You're just jealous you have to stay in GP all summer...

5. Reuben Kinkaid

Hahaha will a photo megathread upon my return suffice?

6. JesusMachine

JesusMachine Elite Member

7. Reuben Kinkaid

If you're talking abou the movie, it was fucking terrible. Seriously.

If you're recommending hostelling, that's the plan for the most part. Those and cheap B and B's, and budget hotels.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  8. Dog Chapman

Dog Chapman Dirty Dozen Crew

true but ill be makin lots of moeny while you are hangin with doods in tight jeans and medium shirts.. that are 4 feet tall

9. _nightcrawler

_nightcrawler Elite Member

If this photo mega thread has alot of girls from the red light district then yes. If not, i would really like to see you make a movie about it. :scrambled:

10. H. Lecter

H. Lecter Senior Member

>> I bought one and thought it was just the train equivalent of a bus pass, but after reading the book that came with it, it sounds like you have to buy the actual ticket (which makes sense).
    -You don't need to buy a ticket, but rather a reservation..which is usually no more than 15€..even for over-nighters

>>if you're travelling straight through a country that isn't included on the pass (ie. no stops) do you still have to buy a ticket for that leg of the trip?
    - Yes~ but don't worry, with the exception of Britain, all of the countries you wish to see are covered..and in Britain,including the Eurostar, you get a discount anyway.. And if it applies, always make sure to mention that you're a student and/or under 26

>>what did you do about money? I plan to just take my Visa card and bank card, and take out money from ATM's.
    -A Cirrus or other compatable ATM card is the best way to get cash anywhere in the world as far as I'm concerned~ The rates are negligable, especially when compared to cash exchanges and even Travelers Cheques.. And in first world places, the comparable convenience of ATM cards is unsurpased for the traveler

>> I was told that Travellers Cheques are a bad idea since not many places actually accept them.
    -Most places don't accept them.. however there are alot of change offices and AMEX counters that exchange them for cash at decent rates.. and it's considerably more secure than traveling with cash.. They're a good back-up to have a few hundred in.. but should'nt be used as a primary source of currency aquisition

>>I'm just curious if there's a safer/more secure way of carrying money around than cash or depending on 2 cards.
    -Whatever you do, buy something of concealment for your money, cards, documents, passporte, etc.~ keep it on your body, under your clothes, at all times.. even bring it to the shower with you and fold it into your towel..
    Keeps you organized and with time wearing it, it becomes like an extremity of your own body and that is as secure as you can be with carrying anything.

I'd suggest a switch of Geneve's place in your initial plans,
    it's more fluid.. topographically and culturally.. and definately more time efficent..

So sticking to the plan as much as possible...
    - Sheffield/Liverpool, England.
    - Dublin, Ireland.
    - Normandy/Paris, France
    - Brugge, Belgium
    - Amsterdam, Holland
    - Auschwitz, Poland
    - Prague, Czech Republic
    - World Cup 2006, Germany, which will be the cities of Frankfurt, Nurnberg, Koln, Dusseldorf, Stuttgart, Munich and Berlin.
    - Geneva, Switzerland
    - Florence/Rome, Italy
    - Barcelona, Spain
    - London, England

I suppose you plan on going in to the World Cup from the West after Czech~
    but consider than places like Nurnburg are practically bordering Austria ; and Dusseldorf et the Rhine/Westphalia cities are closer to Brussels and Amsterdam than they are to Berlin..
    Maybe a hop-in hop-out of Germany would be more efficent~ Considerably less back-tracking..
    ie: Hit the Rhine/Westphalia places on your way in from Netherland and then on to Berlin, Poland and Czech, then back in to Germany on to the Bavarian cities then on through to Switzerland, Italy, etc..

Another must is stopping along the Cote d'Azur in the South Of France.. atleast to Nice~
    It will surely be a highlight of your trip~

Some forum/ user-based websites to suggest are tripadvisor.com and virtualtourist.com..
    And for online schedules and route planning ... raileurope.com & .co.uk

Definately bring a guidebook with you, I suggest "Lets Go!: Europe".. it's extremely simple yet thorough.. and geared specifically towards this type of travel.. Truely, considerably better than it's competitors..
    Also a European Phrasebook/Dictionary is a MUST~ The Rough Guide series makes a great one that covers 7 languages from Czech to Spanish..and fits into your back pocket
    ~but you'll need some seperate mini-dicitonaries for Polish, Dutch and Catalan; they're not covered in there~

Anyway
    Hope I was of some help
    Enjoy!

11. H. Lecter

H. Lecter Senior Member

P.S.

Fuck "Eurotrip"...
    the thread title is blasphemy to the mission you're about to undertake

12. After School Special

After School Special Banned

13. Reuben Kinkaid

Seriously though, thanks a lot for your reply. That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to get from this thread.

14. H. Lecter

H. Lecter Senior Member

x x

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  15. H. Lecter

H. Lecter Senior Member

Voyages! Hamdule!
    pronounced
    Voi-ah-zjey! Ha-m-doo-lay!

(Travels! Thank God!)
    The travelsex superthread
    .for animals only.