Europe train scene

goldschlager

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In some graff mag I was looking at from Italy, people actually had to go over other writers peices because the trains never got buffed, but that was a while ago. When I was in Munich, Germany 3 years ago there used to be trains rolling by all the time packed with graff from end 2 end. I don't know what it's like now but i'm going back there in about 3 months.

I found this on endstation (http://www.artcrimes.org/endstation/) couldn't link it directly.

It's dated March 12, 2000. Have things changed alot down there?..

I'm trying to plan a trip to europe and want to bench some running trains. What are some good places to check out?. If the nature of this topic might bring heat to some places please delete it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What does it mean BUFF??"

Report made by anonymous writer from Rome - Italy 2000. Edited and directed by Endstation. Copyright Endstation.ROME: Italy is a country at the bottom of the European map. The shape looks like a big boot kicking a football. Just under the knee of the boot lies Rome. The writers in Rome does not seem to bother to kick any football, instead they kick ass with the italian transport system. The ass of that system is called Metro di Roma.

In Endstation Magazine issue #1 you could read about Rome as it was in 1997. We reported that the "Roma subway is burning!". Now three years later of writing, bombing and vandalism, the Roma metro almost seem to be destroyed, but far from burned out.

"Every train is full of pieces, throw-ups, top to bottoms, end to ends and whole cars."

In this issue a local writer in Rome that Endstation has talked to tells us more about the situation in Rome:

"Here in Rome there are two metro lines, plus the "Lido" line that goes to the beach. The two lines are called "A" and "B" line. The B line is really very bombed."

"It's not possible to find a car completely clean, believe me, I've tried... every train is full of pieces, throw-ups, top to bottoms, end to ends and whole cars. Even the insides of the trains are full of tags, but they clean them more often."

"Writers from all over Europe has done it."

"The A line is not as bombed as the other ones, but in these last couple of years it has been painted a lot. Alot of writers paint it despite the guards. The first one-man-whole-train ever painted in Rome was also done on the A-line."

"Finally, the Lido line is really the most bombed one. Many writers from all over Europe has done it. Except for the cleaned windows it is totally covered by pieces. It is easier to paint... but there are always the infamous guards."

"It happened that they shot a writer."

He describes Rome as if there is no control over graffiti at all. But if you have heard about the train scene in Rome before, you have probably come across stories about the infamous guards. Cruel italian old men with holster and revolver shooting on everything that moves. Our reporter tells us more...

"The guards are the worst part of Rome's graffiti scene. They do have a gun and they sometimes look scary, but only once, about 3-4 years ago it happened that they shot a writer. If you get caught they will take you to the police station. Then you will have to pay a fine... but you won't go to jail."

Graffiti can be found in most cities in Italy. Milan and Naples are two main scenes for trains. Milan has a popular metro train as seen in internationally distributed graffiti magazines. The italian national railways FS (Ferrovie dello Stato) are often painted thoughout the country. There are also regional trains in various cities. Sometimes european trains from other countries may get a piece done by an italian writer attached to it's panel.

We asked our contact to tell us about the buff in Italy. The answer we got may tell all about the situation.

"What does it mean 'BUFF' ? ?"

If the Italian train companies ever finds out what it means, I guess the same word will have a completely different meaning...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

italy is definatley your best bet in my opinion. as rodders said 'smashed' i travelled from turin in the far north to catanzaro on the south coast last summer and saw scores and scores of incredible pieces running all over the country.:king:

Guest Fabo 2

London

painting the tubes in London is almost impossable, and even if you do manage to hit the tube it won't run for longer than a day.

Silverlink trains are a lot easier to hit because some of the actual trains are just parked on the tracks at night. Also, the company that owns Silverlink has very little money and can only afford to buff the trains once a month.

Yeah painting comuter trains in Holland and the UK is getting tuffer but still possible to do. Both the Amsterdam subway and the London tube are just as hard if not harder than the NY subway- very hard to paint and little chance of them running. Spain, Italy, Warsaw are good right now and Copenhagens still cool...

Originally posted by octopusone

Yeah painting comuter trains in Holland and the UK is getting tuffer but still possible to do. Both the Amsterdam subway and the London tube are just as hard if not harder than the NY subway- very hard to paint and little chance of them running.

Dont forget about Paris and Stockholm.

Spain, Italy, Warsaw are good right now and Copenhagens still cool...

Copenhagen is alot harder than it used to be.

Italian subways are not the cakewalk people think they are.

Never been to Spain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by goldschlager

"The guards are the worst part of Rome's graffiti scene. They do have a gun and they sometimes look scary, but only once, about 3-4 years ago it happened that they shot a writer. If you get caught they will take you to the police station. Then you will have to pay a fine... but you won't go to jail."

anybody from italy or visited there know if this is true... you only get fined?.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by T.T Boy

actually i should restate what i said. rome is definatley a go. i cant be too sure about the rest of italy. it seems like the farther north you go the harder it gets.

I was in Bari last year and nothing runs on the trains. I was well disapointed.

ITALIA..

Hi.

I've been in a one month trip in whole Italy(sicilia included) in summer 2001, and also 2 weeks this year, and let me tell you that the whole system is mad burned from north to south. From what i've seen theres practically not much buffing going on. Of course there is buffing, but its still a joke compared to the rest of the world. Sometimes you can see like on the freights scene some pieces partially buffed, or badly buffed ( which mak a big mess). when i was back for the second time this year , i didnt saw as much painted trains as 2001, but again i was just there for 2 weeks and did not travelled( mainly stayed in Roma and few days in Milano) like i did last year.But some local writers told me that painting trains was getting more difficult and that they were buffing more ( this was in Roma though, i dont know for the rest of italy).

Let me tell you about my impressions of my trips there , especially my 1 month trip last year, since i travelled everywhere and was always on the trains. ( i'm sure theres a lot of euro writers that could talk a lot on the subject,with a better point of view than me, especially the one concerned: the italians, but since no one did it.. i will take the time to explain it)

This shit is so incredible: makes me think a lttle bit of old NYC and our north american freight system mixed together, since u can bench at any local train station and take some flicks of burned metal, and know that the trains are going a little bit everywhere in the country, wheter its small places or big cities.I always(more or less) saw at least one piece when i entered any station. A lot of times the quality isnt verry good, but its like everywhere else like the freights or walls. I saw some pieces from 1997 untouched, or took a train with a fresh piece at the beginning of my trip, and i saw it again weeks later in a another city.

Its just an incredible feeling to know that u are sure to see some pieces when u will get to the station...searching them beetween the layups and passengers. wondering wich graff will be on the train that u will take... wow i miss it so much! It was a revelation for me , as a north american who practically never saw real trains painted besides mags videos or old school nyc fliks.

Now for the Roma Metropolitana: its just a theory(correct me if im wrong), but since Roma and italy is "chaotic" country (administration, politic, business) and is poorer than the rest of western europe, and also from the fact that theres only 2 lines in roma ( A and B, orange and blue/grey) so they cannot afford to retire some wagons or trains to buff since its such a small subway in a such big city ( and maybe the lack of money too) well the subway is entirely painted from head to toes with layers of paint . I mean.. its just a big mess.. a big splat. Theres chaos everywhere on these wagons. It may be verry ugly most of the time, but man it feel so good to see it. And u can catch some pretty decent pieces too often. But most of the time its some toy bullshit with some stock tip, and A LOT of crossing out. the B line in 2001 was more clean, but more quality orientated, with works done by Poison , the king of the line ( a piece on each train), the B line was more toyish. Now in 2002 i saw that the B line is all buffed unfortunally, even if u can still see some bombing on it, its nothing like the past years. The A line is still running, i dont know if it will be cleaned up.

You can also try to check the Lido subway/train line, from roma to the beach, its pretty bombed too, or some tram lines going near Termini station.

Just to remind you that last year i saw some pieces in the subway dated 1999,and this year i was still able to see graff that i saw last year.

Milano subway is another story, i dont know it well, its all cleaned, but u can catch decent pieces from times to times. I think maybe its beacause its a richer city?

Anyway, i wrote all that because im in work and have nothing to do, and also because i just love those italian trains. Viva FS! I also wanted to say that the italians writers are extremly lucky to have running trains.And from what i saw Italy in general is more relax for painting them then elsewhere.

and to tell u that if u have the opportunity to go there, jump into it. Just hope it wont get buffed like the rest of europe in the near future:/

Archived