Espee Caps are Ready

KaBar

Black crown, Crimson bill, full buckram construction, brushed cotton, adjustable velcro closure, stitch embroidered white letters up front SP. Shipped by USPO for $11 -- Money Orders only, no checks, no cash. Don't forget to put your RETURN ADDRESS on the envelope. I've got a dozen caps, first come, first served:

West Side Rail Fans

12554 Bellaire

P.M.B. 108

Houston, Texas 77072

If I get more than twelve orders, I'll do it again. I've got people here now who want some WSRF hats, maybe we'll do some of them too.

If I cannot fill the order (like if I get thirteen or fourteen orders and I've only got twelve caps) I will return your money order to you without opening the envelope.

This whole deal has taught me a lot. At first, I thought $14 for a cap at a railroad show was a rip-off. After doing this once, I realize that unless you do hundreds of caps and have a market for them, they are expensive to produce. Eleven bucks seems steep, but it is almost exactly what I have in them. One cool thing--there's only going to be a very few caps like these around. Anybody could do it, but it is kind of a hassle.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Aserine--It was just an idea that came to me one day at my local yard. A UP train pulled in and it had two old SP engines in combination. The old SP engines are red and black with white letters "SP" in the front. I thought "Cool. I want a ball cap like that. I wonder how hard it would be to get one?" I started calling around and eventually figured out a way to get a dozen hats like that made up. I'm not trying to get into the "train hat" business or anything. If you want one, I've got eleven. I checked my box today--no mail yet. Maybe tomorrow, LOL. If I get a lot of requests, I'll make up another batch. If not, it was fun doing it. At this point I have about $132 into the project, more or less a few cents. I divided the cost by 12, ergo my price of $11 per cap. If you want one, send me a money order and a return address. Look "up the stack" for my Postal Mail Box address.

Friday 3/01/02 0130 Still no takers?

Just got home from work, I'm sitting here drinking paisano out of the jug and eating leftover Long John Silver's fish and french fries, cole slaw and cheap-ass Kroger tortilla chips wondering why I haven't seen any takers yet. I got a feeling tomorrow's the day. When I got off work I was walking across a big parking lot and way off in the distance I could hear a train sounding the air horn going through some grade crossings. It's cold as hell outside, misty and blowing a drizzle. Work sure does suck. I wanted to go catch out on a westbound. Tonight would have been perfect--shitty, cold weather, and everybody is at home. I wanted to go down to my favorite yard and check to see if anybody's in the jungle. But instead I came home and raided the fridge for leftover fish and french fries. Life is not perfect. Tomorrow is another day of bullshit at work. A series of choices: bad or worse. I choose bad. Life goes on. I dream about freight trains and being On The Loose.

Pour myself another shot of red. Ahhh. That's better.

Guest fr8lover

hey i really feel bad that i said id want one and i havent sent it, but money is really tight at the moment...im sure you know how it can be sometimes. if i wake up with 11 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, ill send for one...itll happen sooneeeer or later!

Simplicity Itself--red, black, white letters

The engines that inspired this Espee cap idea were simplicity itself. I'm not 100% sure of the make and model, but these photographs will give you an idea.

http://espee.railfan.net/picindex/gp38-2_w...ound/index.html

The caps themselves are just simple--black crown, red bill, white letters on the crown "SP."

The actual Southern Pacific logo is probably copywrited and patented, yadda, yadda, yadda. It's available too, on caps from someplace like a train shop. Just call up "Southern Pacific Railroad engines" on your browser.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have several left. I was going to put any leftovers on eBay with a starting bid at $15, but I'm holding off on that until I'm sure everybody on 12 oz. that wants one, gets one. Scroll up on this thread for addresses and price--money orders only, please, and please leave the "Pay To" line blank, that way I can either cash it or send it through my bank account. I'm glad you guys liked the caps. They are OSFA caps (one-size-fits-all) but they have a velcro adjustment closure on the back, so they are somewhat adjustable.

Ok--they are moving, but slowly. Not as fast as I thought they would, but it's no big deal. Unless there's a surge in demand, these may be the only "SP" ones I do, because I want to get my money back out of this project and do a different one. "If y'all want an SP hat, now's the time," LOL.

Archived