Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

ENRON

Discussion in 'News' started by TEARZ, Jan 22, 2002.

1. TEARZ

TEARZ Guest

i haven't given up on intelligent discussion in this forum.

man, as if i needed another reason to prove that mr. bush is one slimey motherfucker.
    god damn. this is some truly scandalous shit. i just feel bad for those people who held stock in enron and the enron employees who were not complicit in the whole fiasco. that's some bullshit.
    many of enron's top executives made over 100 million dollars each in the selling of their personal stock in the company while employees were restricted from selling their stock and received company stock in place of a standard 401K.

if bush were a democrat, the republican mafia would have already lynched him after a torturous media witch hunt. peep his connections with enron, from this robert scheer article from thenation.com :

One of the major falsehoods being bandied about by apologists for the Bush Administration is that while Enron may have bankrolled much of the President's political career it got nothing for those bucks once George W. occupied the White House.

That is nonsense.

The Administration's energy program, developed by Vice President Dick Cheney in secret meetings--six of them with Enron officials--could have been written by lobbyists for the now failed company. At the behest of Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Los Angeles), the minority staff of the House Committee on Government Reform has prepared a devastating analysis of 17 major concessions made to Enron that gave Kenneth L. Lay, Bush's intimate friend and Enron chief executive, just about everything he wanted. The report concluded that "it is unlikely that any other corporation in America stood to gain as much from the White House plan as Enron."

Those Bush Administration concessions to Enron included finishing the job of deregulating the electricity market begun by Bush's father. The senior Bush's actions had paved the way for the company's meteoric growth.

George W.'s energy plan also made it even easier for Enron to sell energy derivatives in the commodity market and pursue other financial shenanigans that had been a major source of profit. The unregulated selling of energy derivatives, an Enron specialty, was celebrated in the Bush energy plan as "sophisticated and customizable." We now know that practice was so sophisticated that it was the major source of Enron's paper profits.

Oddly, given that Republicans are presumed to favor leaving power with the states, the Bush energy plan emphasized increased federal power over utility pipelines that forced local utilities to carry Enron's product. This was an expansion of the "open access" powers granted in the 1992 Energy Policy Act, passed in the first Bush Administration. That law undermined the power of local authorities and regional utility companies for the benefit of Enron. In 1999, Enron had defined "open access" as the company's "single-most important initiative."

Two years later, George W. delivered. Fortunately this subversion of the political process had a short life because Enron went belly up before Bush could save the company from itself.

2. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

dude... toe the line, be a company man...

the new spin is that Babs Bush owned Enron stock which she bought at a dollar or so and sold at 43 cents... so, the Bush's are victims too... WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

3. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

this whole stock market thing is bullshit.....FUCK THE GOVERMENT

4. uh and yes

uh and yes New Jack

krylon2, at least back up your opinion.
    basically, enron helped bush. bush fucked enron.
    my dad worked for enron for 25 years. i was in a bar the other night with my mom, and as we were walking to the car she was crying and said "now, ken lay (enron CEO) has all our fucking money." it was pretty funny. enron has done some kind of shady things in their rise to the top. and, for that i have never liked them, but they did put food on my table for a long time. go greed go!

5. Big Bruno

Big Bruno Senior Member

your mom was crying because she is financially distressed and it funny?

6. TEARZ

TEARZ Guest

B&G-
    bush didn't fuck enron... read that nation shit in my first post. enron executives fucked themselves. the whole thing was a fucking sham. the bushes were helping out enron for years.
    i'm sorry that the whole thing affected your family. i think that's fucked up. enron execs effectively sold families like yours out.

7. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

Corporations suck, but I have to question the naivete of the employees, who should know full well by now that corporations suck. They have no loyalty whatsoever. So why do employees trust the top brass with their life savings and future? The same shit happened at Polaroid.
    Nobody gives a shit about what happens to your money more than YOU do. Educate yourself a little bit and manage your own money. It's not that hard. What's best for CEOs and Wall Street brokers is precisely what's worst for you, so tell them all to go to hell.

8. sectorTVA

sectorTVA Senior Member

i play it safe and invest in mutual funds.....i got my ira set up already so when i retire when im 60 ill have enough money to keep me living comfortably....on a side note, kmart filied chapter 11 bankrupcy....

9. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i keep a wide array of both large and small arms, as well as enough ammo to last me till samsara... that has nothing to do with enron, but fuck a corporation.

think of it like this.

if you get a pager from the corner store with a one year contract, and you terminate it early, you have to pay a cancelation fee.
    if the corner store stops selling and servicing pagers, you're fucked.

thats how big business works. you can never, ever win.

except i can, cause im just not paying the credit card companies anything. i'll show them! :eek:

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Junior Member

Yes, and start an underground fighting group to relinquish your lack of feeling on your fellow, smothered-in-some-negative-way-by-society peers through rigorous, painful beatings which will ultimately free your caged inner self.

Wait, that was Fight Club ... nevermind.

11. uh and yes

uh and yes New Jack

yeah, it sucks... my dad gave his life for that company. and, because of that, wasnt around too much when i was a kid. my family will be ok. my mom may not get all the nic-naks she wants. but, they will survive. my mom's hatred for ken lay is funny. and, the fact that my parents are learning that money isnt everything so late in life is interesting. in the past year, between sysco and enron, my parents have lost a small fortune, but they will cope.

enron gave a shitload to bush's campaign in hopes of bush helping them out with legislation (which is not something that i condone... read above: i am not a big fan of enron to begin with), but, their loyalty (which is admirable) was all for not, when bush didnt help them out. so, bush got into the situation when it was profitable for him, and then was ready to fuck them in the ass, when all was said and done. quit listening to your parents views, and create your own.

12. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i cant remember what i was watching last night, but they were discussing this, and discussing how infact bush didnt fuck them in the ass, they just fucked themselfs up so badly that there was nothing bush could possibly do to help them at that point. i'll try and find the source and repost it.

this enron shit has been interesting to me, because i knew absolutely nothing about it, until it was already fodder for late night monologues. so now im trying to play catch up, yet at the same time, i really dont give a shit cause i know it will happen a million times this year on varying scales...

when i stop posting and you find out ive moved to a monastarie in thialand, dont be suprised.

13. uh and yes

uh and yes New Jack

you say this will happen a million times... which, it will, but i dont think people realize the magnitude of this. enron, at one point last year, was the 6th largest company in america. this is definitely a situation that demands attention.

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

oh, no, i agree, this is a huge deal... my point was simply to say that no matter how much i know, what can i stop? i know thats a very defeatest attitude, but i am only me, and even if there were a million of me, big business just squashes anything they disagree with. i just hate the world. im gonna go get in the shower now.

15. TEARZ

TEARZ Guest

no offense dude, you're just wrong. and chill with that "get your own views that aren't your parents." that's herb shit and you don't even know the half of who you might be talking to. seeking and i (as well as cracked) are well older than you and are no longer actively receiving current events perspectives from parents. we've all shown the ability to intelligently converse on this forum for a minute now. and plus, since you're just wrong, it makes you sound worse.

seeking is right, just as i was right in my previous posts. BUSH WAS GOING TO HELP ENRON. PLEASE READ MY FIRST POST AGAIN- IT EXPLAINS THIS. yes, enron gave tons to bush and he was in the process of creating legislation that would be gold for them (again check out the italics in the first post). enron was so poorly managed (and such a fraud) that it did not last long enough to reap the benefits of the energy legislation that bush & co was about to push.