ends with -ation

japillahan

i remember borrowing a friend's camera when i was smaller and making toymation movies. they were just the image with whatever background sounds it might have happened to have caught (i pushed record/stop really fast for slides) which actually sounded kind of cool sometimes... but anyway, ive been wanting to start doing that again but i dont know what kind of equipment i would need...

for thos of you on the oz who dont like reading i am asking this

for those of you who have made animations with objects like toys or clay, what kind of camera did you use? do normal (cheap) camcorders have a slide-by-slide movie-taker? i knew a guy with a stop-animation feature on his webcam but i'm looking for a good picture...

gumbasia325.gif

i got the idea after watching this in alice's wonderland (totally amazing) but after watching it again with my head back in reality i realised that alot of it was just angular shots and really simple animation...good rhythm, but i digress....

anybody else care to share?(when/if i make movies i might try to share them)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Most animation is 24 to 26 frames a second for realistic action, but for stop motion you can get away with 4 to 8 frames a second.

There's some apps out there that will sequence and timecode digital stills into a short movie. Don't ask me though, ask Google.

A digital SLR would be optimum for this, but any digital camera where you can manual focus and set aperture & shutter manually would work fine really. If you have an automatic camera expect to spend the rest of your life matching brightness / contrast / white balance between frames.

I've actually been thinking about messing around with this lately, but my camera only shoots RAW files so I'd end up with 256MB of source files for every 4 seconds of animation. Kind of a bitch to work with.