Emails from hades...

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Even better... Post messages to The Writers Forum even after your death!

http://daisyman.arsware.org/dms/

------------------------

This application was sparked by an Ars OpenForum thread about what would happen if one of us were to shuffle off to that Great Motherboard in the Sky. Software which would act as a proverbial "Dead Man's Switch" came up, which is basically a system that, if not reset by a given time, will automatically carry out a series of tasks, such as posting messages to websites like Ars, sending e-mails to loved ones (or hated ones), and encrypting or destroying sensitive files (*cough* pr0n *cough*). Interest was expressed for the creation of such software, and well, here it is.

The software is designed to run without installation. Just stick it in a convenient directory, and it will create all the necessary registry entries the first time it is run. Any additional files that it creates will be in the same directory, and will have the extensions .dwp and .dem, for easy portability.

The software can carry out three functions: posting to web pages, sending e-mails, and encrypting files (props to WanderingWastrel for the idea). I haven't tested the webpage posting extensively with all that many websites, so you may want to test them yourself (there is an easy mechanism to do so within the program) before setting and forgetting.

In case the you encrypt files accidentally (forget to reset the switch, etc.), or if you are testing the system out by manually triggering the timer, you can decrypt the files using this decryption program. Just make very sure you remember your password!!!

E-mail currently does not support attachments. If there is any interest, I may add that. I'm also thinking of changing the encryption system, maybe using MS CryptoAPI instead of the Blowfish Delphi components, which I just found out have an occasional nag screen. Which is odd for what was billed as freeware.

Guest imported_Tesseract

That whole thing brings up a thought i've been having for some time concerning the interweb relationships as well as the temporarity of the internet in general.

How possible would it be for someone to have the same email address for over 10 years given that servers and locations change? How possible would it be for someone to keep in touch with e-friends..such as the members of this board...if he/she took a long time off the internet?

My understanding is that if you keep off this world for some time and lose some key sites its close to impossible to track down 'friends'.

Archived