1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Egos and Icons: Do you expect to be famous ?

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by TrustEvil, Apr 11, 2002.

1. TrustEvil

TrustEvil Guest

Egos and Icons: Do you expect to be famous ?

Discussion started by TrustEvil - Apr 11, 2002

This issue has been discussed before, but I enjoy the arguments it brings...so here it is once again.

Fame...it seems to be a big concern amongst many graffiti writers. Everyone is looking for that little piece of the pie, that little bit of extra attention that puts them one space forward in the cafeteria lunch line. Insecurities lead to overcompensations in hopes that some legion of anonymous kids will become a fan base.

I have a hard time grasping this concept. I have an even harder time understanding how someone doing something so simple and trivial as graffiti, can allow this to inflate their ego to the point of near-explosion. Why do some writers become pompous assholes while others of the same calibre remain grounded and humble ? Where the hell does this rockstar mentality come into play ? Is it after 50 people jock your shit on the internet after you shamelessly posted the flicks yourself...is it after 100 kids who have never met you tell 100 of their mindless sheep bandwagon jumping friends that you're such a cool guy and you rock the spot harder than a hooker on welfare wednesday ? Is it once you have been invited into so many different crews that you need more space to shout them all out than to do your burner ? Is it when you have the same flicks printed in 10 magazines or get an interview in some homemade video ? At what point does one cross over from the simple "writer doing it for the personal satisfaction and enjoyment" to "writer doing it to uphold some inflated status within a community of nerds and wanna-be thugs" ?

Everyone says that graffiti is all about fun, but how many of them actually believe that shit ? Half the time I see people just stamping shit out with the same routine and indiference as they do at their factory job assembling N'Sync lunchboxes....just going through the motions.

I'm saying all this because I've had shit printed in magazines...I've had kids jock me at the spot...I've had my work exploited on the internet...and in videos....and when I first started painting graffiti that's probably all I could have ever dreamed of....and then it did and I realized that it was all bullshit and really had nothing to do with why I continued to paint.

bring it on.

2. Zes

Zes 12oz Junior Member

Zes - Replied Apr 11, 2002

I was always under the idea that people write for there own reasons. In my experinece the wrting community is no difference then society. There are jerks, nice guys, pompous assholes, every writer has there own personality. If people wanna write for fame, let them, do what you want, and do not let what others do concern you. It would be great if we could all unite, under the one thing we have in common, our love for graff, but i'm not sure if this will ever happen so meh. If it happens great, if not then wut can ya do! These are just my thoughts on the idea, ad sorry if i didn't really get to wut u were saying, but yaa my 2 cents... (also, one last apology if it didn't make sense, its pasrt of being a 13 year old loser who usually has no idea of what they are talking about)

Zes - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  3. fiberoptical

fiberoptical New Jack

fiberoptical - Replied Apr 11, 2002

...it is all about stamp licking...being in with all the movers and shakers,
    posting up flix of your work, and raving, bro!!!! Oh, and be sure to start some type of beef...
    this is the fast track to join the elite gay mafia squadron!!!..booty pirates...

(hope I didn't offend anyone.)

hahaha..

no, really...just write...advance your letters, and enjoy the act of painting....nothing else really matters.

fiberoptical - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  4. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Guest

Dr. Doom - Replied Apr 11, 2002

This is all very true! The people that I respect the most are the modest, logical thinking, plain joe type of guys! There is no rockstar realism to the whole situation! Graffiti is nothing to be proud of like some super hero! It's a "road to nowhere" hobby! Tons of fun...........but it doesn't pay the bills,but rarely ever! Some of these "iconic motherfuckers" are 30+ years old and live at home with there mom! Some sad ass shit right there, I tell ya! I used to jock some of these guys when I had no clue years ago and wasn't "in the know". Now I sit back and laugh 'cause I almost feel retarded thinking that these cats used to mean something to me! My value system is different than some of these guys so that makes us different from jump! I've learned that there are many different types of writers just like different people! You learn something new about people every day................the priest at the church you used to go to when you were younger turns out to be a pedophile!! You won't know people in depth for a long time so be cautious and don't get played out by some geek writer who has nothing to offer you other than some "new letter style"!!!:rolleyes:

5. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

--zeSto-- - Replied Apr 11, 2002

what cleansheets said.

If I do end up famous (which I'm hoping against)
    It should be for something worthwile.

They aren't naming a Sandwich after Dondi down at the deli.

6. desired

desired 12oz Junior Member

desired - Replied Apr 11, 2002

If I was to become famous I would want to be know as someone who has changed society in a possitive way. I wouldnt think of myself as famous but maybe the changes/movement would be recoginised.

I would be self content by just having one person listen and gather the knowledge that I have gained through my yrs.

But with fame does come ego.
    Thus inorder for me to become recognised I would try to rid the connception of fame. I most likely would live like a Hindu - search for inner piece and comence with God once accomplished I would live out the 4 stages of man.

desired - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  7. Ceso One SAF

Ceso One SAF 12oz Member

Ceso One SAF - Replied Apr 11, 2002

well...

When i started writing i always wanted to be famous like seen and dare and them but now its different... i still wish and want to be famous but know deep down it will never happen so i try to enjoy the art and culture of the graff instead of the fame of it. also one reason i could ever be famous in the us is cuz most of the ppl today that are famous writers are oldskool heads for instance...Seen, Dondi RIP, zephyr ya know the ones that killed the lines with full cars and panel peices nonstop so i say if ur out for fame do krazy shit that no one does thats so cool and do it ALOT! unless u do u wont get much fame...sept in ur area plus alot of famous writers are alot more famous because of thier legal walls....for example FX crew and all them heads....well my 2 cents is it thanks for listening and sorry if everyone dont agree....opinion runs this world......peace

Ceso One SAF - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  8. mafIAkilla

mafIAkilla Guest

mafIAkilla - Replied Apr 15, 2002

i could care less about fame honestly. i dont look at what i want to achieve as fame,but i do want people to see work that i am proud of. i want to be respected for coming up as fast as i have,yet i also want whoever sees my work to know that it is never going to be enough. there is always progression to be made. but although i would like a certain degree of respect for what i do and the work i have put in to progress,i still do it for the love of it. if you will paint walls that you know no one else will probably see,that says something.if the main factor of choosing a location to paint based on visibility,that is no longer art,it is advertisement. and we all know that ad execs go to hell.....

9. expansionAE

expansionAE Guest

expansionAE - Replied Apr 15, 2002

i dont care for that stuff

just as long as i rock good shit and have fun

10. eessee

eessee Guest

eessee - Replied Apr 16, 2002

^^^^^ diddo

11. sectorTVA

sectorTVA 12oz Senior Member

sectorTVA - Replied Apr 16, 2002

i dont got much to say on the subject....but i like your writing style...two thumbs up.....

sectorTVA - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. ASER1NE

ASER1NE 12oz Veteran Member

ASER1NE - Replied Apr 16, 2002

i dont care about fame inits entirety , but i do care that ppl know of my shit . as long as someone sees it , im happy .

ASER1NE - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  13. TEAMWOLF

TEAMWOLF New Jack

TEAMWOLF - Replied Apr 16, 2002

i think it really comes down to dick size and how many chicks you score with.

TEAMWOLF - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  14. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

Joker - Replied Apr 16, 2002

I don't believe for a second that writers do it for themselves and no one else. "I don't care about Fame, but I do care that people know of my shit." Brother... that's Fame. That's all Fame is. People knowing who you are. Grasp it and fly with it. It's what your personality does with the Fame that makes you an ass or humble.

If you get Fame... keep in mind one thing concerning writing... there's a hundred more out there way better than you just waiting to come up. That should keep you humble and keep you working.

If Fame wasn't an issue we'd all be hitting up inside our garages...

Joker - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  15. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

--zeSto-- - Replied Apr 16, 2002

but the fumes would have killed off the first generation
    and the knowledge wouldn't have been passed along.

"That a very artististic way to off yourself"