EGON SCHIELE

High Priest

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 3 weeks later...

egons got some hott shit...there's new book all about his life and work that was just published....it has a bunch of his "traditional" drawings and paintings along with the figurative work that he is most known for...it's interesting to see the evolution...and i didn't know that him and klimpt had done a couple of shows together... makes since...i think their work compliments each others

gustav klimt was his mentor and really helped to establish his early showings.

seeks...as for why i like him.

its one of those artists you see and might be excited about when youre first introduced to art possibly in highschool..

..hes someone i was really into..colors, draftsmanship composition.. they were all very unique and intriuging..

his work was also alot more sexual then others.. i think a discussion of klimt was what led to the first time i convinced a girl to pose nude for me..

i dont know.. i dont think.. hes the end all do all of art.. but simply put i still have an affinity for his work.. since i was first exposed to it years ago. As someone who loves to draw his works on paper, sketches and the like are really incredible and its really special to see them in person. his work looks different in reproductions.

..theres those who like him and those who dont.. im not going to convince you.. im just saying i enjoyed the show and for those in here who were interested i recommend it.. additionally..his life story is interesting having died by like 28.. he did most of his major work between the age of 17-25 so its pretty damn impressive.

ok, but...what makes him more exciting than the scores of other people who draw in a lose and potentially crude style? he cant be the first person to ever draw like that, so it's not like he revolutionized art. i guess i just fail to see why he's held above others, that's all. i dont think he's horrible or anything, it's just one of those things where im trying to understand the difference between a 5 year old retarded child, and cy twombly, or neck face or something. and im not asking just to be funny, id really like to understand, so if you feel you can make sense of it, your effort wont be wasted. there are definitely things i like about his style, i just dont think it's that unique. i see it more as being born of inability, rather than intentional decision. now if he could draw technically awesome figures, but chose to draw that way (like derek hess or someone) then its a different story, ive just never seen anything that makes me think he could. then again, ive seen very little. so yeah, enlighten me.

you've got to look at what came before him, and how he arrived at what hes doing. I fucking hated mattisse for the longest time until i saw what he was doing before fauvism. his nude studies in the early 1900s are amazing, and the shit he was doing before that was alot like cezanne. i guess what im saying is the progression has to justify the end product. I fucking HATE people who cant draw dick and make "abstract" paintings. people think they can skip over years of life drawing/painting and just slap some color on a canvas haphazardly and say it represents inner turmoil or some shit. they give art a bad name and can all burn in hell.

anyway as a far as sciele is concerned.

karlins11-10-05-8.jpg

this is the only early sketch i can find of his at the moment, but its a great example of progression. the upper torso is done in a pretty realistic classical style, but the legs start to get distorted. you can see where the lumpy outlines in his later figures come from. its anatomcly correct, but he distorts their relative size. as far as his personall biogreaphy i know his father was crazy, and im pretty sure he was a little loopy as well. he had all sorts of psychological problems with women and sex, which explains to an extant why he distorted the female figure.

as far as neck face and everyone else who does the whole "crude" thing i have a hard time accepting them, schielle did it before them and he did it better. his distortion of the human figure was a result of hisfucked pysche, he didnt make drawing in order to look "crude" or like an "egon scheille drawing."

that probably made no sense, but read up on his life and look at his entire portfolio in context to what happened before him and you can draw your own conclussions.

Im pretty sure sciele could draw technically awesome figures. Judeging my some of his drawings I am almost 100% sure that he could. Some of his drawing have real life to them...like I can feel the actual forms and contours of the bodies he is drawing (/totalartfag) I get the feeling that he really understands translating soldid form to a 2d drawing through line quality and foreshortening. despite how distorted some of the figures are there is alot of subtle things that denote understandign of form. I love and hate alof of his stuff. I like his rougher sketches with gouache on coloured paper but I really dont like his later paintings that are all 'scratchy'. I think alot of the reason that he gets so much attention is that he was very young when he was apprenticing with klimpt and also his work, for the time was scandalous. There has aslo been alot of speculation about him having an incestuous relationship with his little sister.

I think part of his fame is a product of risidual sensationalism, that being said. I still love his sketched figures. People who draw human bodies either have 'it' or they dont. And he does. I think so anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

^^^^^

yeah really.

On a side note. Technical proficiency does not equal good. I could care less if he can "really draw" the figure or not (by the way if you study hime close it is clear that he can). What matters is his innovation, composition, eroticism etc. It is the way he handles the medium. Just like Cy Twombly.

Never judge an artist until you have seen a substantial amount of work by them.