editing your own footage

Guest dephect

Guest dephect

question any that know. If you have a vhs video camera, and have recorded/editied it to your liking on a video, how can you put music and titles into/onto the video. What do you do and how.

Like Dirty Hands, how did they put music into the clips and have titles saying what the different sections were.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you can do it on yer computer, although the equipment and software is a little spendy... or youcould get an old editing station (one unit with 2 vcr's and audio inputs) but those are kinda hard to find... volunteer at yer local cable access station and you could do it all for free tho...

Guest dephect

hahaha fuck so its pretty complecated i thought u just needed some wire connection from the vcr into the computer.

AH shit.

What the fucks and audio input?

I like the public-access TV option. They have a school. Go to the little three-evenings-a-week school, make friends with the teacher, pretty soon you are running a public-access show on TV and editing your shit for music, titles and all that.

It can get pretty complicated, there are a bunch of possible choices with video. VHS, Super-VHS, Hi8, DV (digital video) etc. If you have a university in your city, go check out the film making program. Colleges always have the fucking awesome editing equipment.

Guest dephect

a mate of mine made his own home movie of him and some friends getting drunk and doing crazy shit (thank god for those drunken moments) but all he put on it were some titles he said it was really easy

Guest --zeSto--

ahhh....

(as many of you know by know.. this question is all mine!)

There's 2 ways to edit your video:

Linear as in playing real time off tapes

Non-Linear getting the footage onto a computer.

so to break it down....

(for the low-cost home video)

Unless you have some crazy high end tape machine (vcr),

You wont be able to split the audio and the video.

You'll need to seperate the tracks in order to lay music underneath

the picture. You can 'hotwire' some audio inputs, but it all gets very grity.

The alternative is to get some basic editing software for your PC.

As per software... AvidXpressDV is hot shit and FinalCutPro is cold poop.

Either way, you'll need a DV camera with a firewire input unless you buy some

analog-to-digital converter.

so what do I suggest?

Find a local cable station that offers courses and equipment.

Or some kind of hippy-arts-group that also has the gear.

Hell... most highschools have some basic video gear these days.

good luck!

(ps. I am a professional editor, so I'm not blowing hot air.)

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Another ghetto way of laying music over your video is to get two VCR's, one to play your footage and one to record it. Instead of connecting all of the RCA cables, only connect the video cable (yellow), and leave the audio cables disconnected. Then hook up your CD player's line-out to the recording VCR's line-in, and practice hitting record/play on the VCR's in sync with the music you want. It's tricky, it's ghetto as fuck (lowers the quality by a generation), but it's something in the meanwhile. For titles, you're pretty fucked unless you get your hands on software and a digitizer like Zesto mentioned. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest --zeSto--

You can 'hotwire' some audio inputs, but it all gets very grity.

You can easily set it up to record from a CD player (read mamerro's post),

but to actually edit with any accuracy, not a chance.

The best process to make the 'hotwire' work...

1). Do all tape to tape video edits with sound.

2). Watch the video playback and make an audio mis that fits (like making a mixtape)

3). Record the final video and 1 track of the sync sound to another vcr while....

4). recording the audio mix onto the other track of the final tape.

it's super ghetto, but that's the only way to split audio tracks in a vhs-vhs set-up.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

Another ghetto way of laying music over your video is to get two VCR's, one to play your footage and one to record it. Instead of connecting all of the RCA cables, only connect the video cable (yellow), and leave the audio cables disconnected. Then hook up your CD player's line-out to the recording VCR's line-in, and practice hitting record/play on the VCR's in sync with the music you want. It's tricky, it's ghetto as fuck (lowers the quality by a generation), but it's something in the meanwhile. For titles, you're pretty fucked unless you get your hands on software and a digitizer like Zesto mentioned.

yeah, this is the method some friends and I used years ago to make a short movie. Its been over a decade and I still laugh my ass off every time I watch that stupid movie. We've been talking about making another sequel to it and doing it up right. We have access to some serious editing and filming equipment now. We got as far as making a trailer...I'll have to see if I can find it.

Avid would kick Adobe's ass clear out of the picture with the first swing. I still use Adobe though, cause I've been really familiarized wth it. "Rendering" previews has me going up the walls though... it doesn't have any realtime effecting.

FinalCut Pro is not bad at all, it's actually pretty good... but it's a strange program whose workings are not as intuitive as other editors. I personally didn't dig it much when I tried it. There's a bunch of pros and cons to every program, in the end it usually boils down to personal preference. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest --zeSto--

jeeze...

my last post didn't show up !

browner - I did film school, but actually got the job by slaving away as an assistant editor and tape op. Plus good luck.

So FinalCut vs. AvidXpressDV vs. Premier ....

really at the home level it's all about what you can afford

and what basic features you need. If your doing compositing

in AEFX and just want to sequence it, go for premiere. The Adobe

Pro Bundle is a very stong force and is almost limitless in applications.

Fianl Cut is great for ease of use and the Quicktime connection makes it

perfectfor web and cd-delivery. Now for AvidXpress...

This is a tool for editors.

The Avid can be customized to work the way you want it to be.

The workflow can not be touched by ANY other editing system

at any price range. Avid is the Jesus Potato of digital editing.

Plus you can use it to sequence renders from Maya or 3Dmax.

hell... anything really. And it goes directly to the online session.

FinalCut makes bad EDL's. Premiers cant do real finishing.

AvidXpress was made for it.

so there's my rant.

any more questions?

Speaking of AEFX, zesto, do you by any chance have that Pro Bundle around? I need to get my hands on the plugins and keyframe assistants it comes with... Beer,

El Mamerro

Zesto, holla back when you can... I cant seem to get any of these to work, not even the Pro bundle .AEX's... Beer,

A sad Mamerro

Guest --zeSto--

tony - I live in Hollywood North (of the border) -- if that makes any sence.

Just get a manual for finalcut. There's no real good books on the theory of editing.

You just need to learn the equipment and work from there.

mamerro... damn ninja! that's rough! maybe they got fuckered though the transfer!

I'll see if I can fish up some mac versions.

sorry to get you so hyped about it.

Archived