Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

editing your own footage

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by dephect, Oct 3, 2002.

1. dephect

dephect Guest

question any that know. If you have a vhs video camera, and have recorded/editied it to your liking on a video, how can you put music and titles into/onto the video. What do you do and how.

Like Dirty Hands, how did they put music into the clips and have titles saying what the different sections were.

2. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

3. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

you can do it on yer computer, although the equipment and software is a little spendy... or youcould get an old editing station (one unit with 2 vcr's and audio inputs) but those are kinda hard to find... volunteer at yer local cable access station and you could do it all for free tho...

4. dephect

dephect Guest

hahaha fuck so its pretty complecated i thought u just needed some wire connection from the vcr into the computer.
    AH shit.
    What the fucks and audio input?

5. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

the simple stations are just 2 vcrs and some plugs in the back- plugs for sound... hook up a cd player or a tape deck or a mic or whatever...

6. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

I like the public-access TV option. They have a school. Go to the little three-evenings-a-week school, make friends with the teacher, pretty soon you are running a public-access show on TV and editing your shit for music, titles and all that.

It can get pretty complicated, there are a bunch of possible choices with video. VHS, Super-VHS, Hi8, DV (digital video) etc. If you have a university in your city, go check out the film making program. Colleges always have the fucking awesome editing equipment.

7. dephect

dephect Guest

a mate of mine made his own home movie of him and some friends getting drunk and doing crazy shit (thank god for those drunken moments) but all he put on it were some titles he said it was really easy

8. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

ahhh....

(as many of you know by know.. this question is all mine!)

There's 2 ways to edit your video:
    Linear as in playing real time off tapes
    Non-Linear getting the footage onto a computer.

so to break it down....
    (for the low-cost home video)
    Unless you have some crazy high end tape machine (vcr),
    You wont be able to split the audio and the video.
    You'll need to seperate the tracks in order to lay music underneath
    the picture. You can 'hotwire' some audio inputs, but it all gets very grity.

The alternative is to get some basic editing software for your PC.
    As per software... AvidXpressDV is hot shit and FinalCutPro is cold poop.
    Either way, you'll need a DV camera with a firewire input unless you buy some
    analog-to-digital converter.

so what do I suggest?

Find a local cable station that offers courses and equipment.
    Or some kind of hippy-arts-group that also has the gear.
    Hell... most highschools have some basic video gear these days.

good luck!

(ps. I am a professional editor, so I'm not blowing hot air.)

9. Another ghetto way of laying music over your video is to get two VCR's, one to play your footage and one to record it. Instead of connecting all of the RCA cables, only connect the video cable (yellow), and leave the audio cables disconnected. Then hook up your CD player's line-out to the recording VCR's line-in, and practice hitting record/play on the VCR's in sync with the music you want. It's tricky, it's ghetto as fuck (lowers the quality by a generation), but it's something in the meanwhile. For titles, you're pretty fucked unless you get your hands on software and a digitizer like Zesto mentioned. Beer,

El Mamerro

10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

You can 'hotwire' some audio inputs, but it all gets very grity.

You can easily set it up to record from a CD player (read mamerro's post),
    but to actually edit with any accuracy, not a chance.

The best process to make the 'hotwire' work...

1). Do all tape to tape video edits with sound.
    2). Watch the video playback and make an audio mis that fits (like making a mixtape)
    3). Record the final video and 1 track of the sync sound to another vcr while....
    4). recording the audio mix onto the other track of the final tape.

it's super ghetto, but that's the only way to split audio tracks in a vhs-vhs set-up.

11. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

zesto, how did you become a 'professional editor'??
    you took some film courses? pay any good????????
    i need a new job.

12. E-DubleSkilZ

E-DubleSkilZ New Jack

Zesto - i just got final cut pro - u saying that program aint good? Why?

13. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

yeah, this is the method some friends and I used years ago to make a short movie. Its been over a decade and I still laugh my ass off every time I watch that stupid movie. We've been talking about making another sequel to it and doing it up right. We have access to some serious editing and filming equipment now. We got as far as making a trailer...I'll have to see if I can find it.

14. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

ZESTO!!!!!

What would win in a first fight, AvidXpressDV or Adobe Premiere?