1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Edie Sedgwick

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Victor Ward, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Victor Ward

Victor Ward Banned

Edie Sedgwick

Discussion started by Victor Ward - Dec 9, 2004

just finished this book today. it was AWESOME.

edie sedgwick <for those not in the know> was born into an aristocratic and fairly conservative california family. at around age 20, (during the early 60s) she ran off to new york and went totally bonkers and rubbed elbows with socialites and druggie artists using her dad's money. somehow she wound up with andy warhol and became one of his "superstars." she was featured in a ton of his films and was seen everywhere with him for a few years, until a she realized what an inhuman dick he was and ditched him.

this book is awesome for several reasons

1. it's full of detailed, first-hand descriptions of trashy art parties, kids going to speed doctors to get shot up with amphetamines and coke several times a day, drug fueled orgies, exclusive social gatherings, rich people shit, heroin binges, pop art, personality disorders, designer clothes, etc.

2. one of the few books about 60's subcultures ive encountered that isnt about mods or rockers or fucking hippies. the people in this book were a breed of their own.

3. it's the only book i've come across that sortof reveals what an inhuman, sadistic, evil, talentless creep andy warhol was. someone try to tell me i'm wrong. i'm glad he got shot. FUCK andrew varchola.

4. it's got a handful of some pretty dope photos of edie and others fucking around and going wild at the factory.

5.it's just awesome.

the last few chapters are total downers, since edie spiralled down the shitter until she was majorly brain damaged (inability to talk or move, then crazy talk of alien abductions when she regained the ability to talk, incestuous cravings, etc) and then eventually OD'd at age 29.

anyway, anyone read this? you all should.

Victor Ward - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  2. GucciCondom

GucciCondom 12oz Veteran Member

GucciCondom - Replied Dec 9, 2004

Is there like an online Borders for e-books? I want to find one and haxorize the pw to it and cop me some books.

GucciCondom - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. duh-rye-won

duh-rye-won 12oz Member

duh-rye-won - Replied Dec 9, 2004

sounds interesting. i'll look for it.

duh-rye-won - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

MOOGLE? - Replied Dec 9, 2004

i liked The Scum Manifesto by Valerie Solanas...and i shot andy warhol better..

i knew of a torrent site with that book on seed.. if i remember the name of it i'll post up later

MOOGLE? - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  5. Victor Ward

Victor Ward Banned

Victor Ward - Replied Dec 9, 2004

TELL ME ABOUT SCUM MANIFESTO.

i dunno much about valerie, but she seemed like a loser. apparently she was enraged because andy promised she'd be his next star, and she wasnt?

but she's cool in my book for shooting his ass.

6. Victor Ward

Victor Ward Banned

nevermind. the rantings of a hateful feminist lesbian psychopath...hmmmm i'll pass.

7. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

but you would rather read about snobbery?

the bitch died from barbituates next to her husband..how lame is that..

gah wait nevermind....i forgot solanas died turning tricks.

i insert foot into mouth

now.

8. Victor Ward

Victor Ward Banned

no, i'd probably read solanas' work, but only for a good laugh.

9. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

naw she's got some really good points in scum..

the only thing that hinders this work is her anger, although her other books are by far more meanerer..

there are alot of other writers that had close or semi-close affiliations with warhol...i find them more interesting than warhol himself...andy just seemed to have an extremely magnetic personality but that doesnt make for being a caring or nice person either

10. Victor Ward

Victor Ward Banned

Victor Ward - Replied Dec 10, 2004

agreed. warhol was basically just a user. he was a social climber who, with good timing, good luck, strong self promotion skills, and some "cute" ideas got famous. then all these poor, fucked up, fragile individuals were lured in by his promises of instand quasi-fame, fed more drugs, fucked up further, exploited, then dumped. on to the next it girl/ it boy.

i could be wrong, but i dont think that warhol ever had a single true friend. yeah, he was always surrounded by a really "hip" crowd, but they were all disposable. i mean the man died a near virgin, simply because sex would risk some actual emotional involvement with others.

so yeah, i don't care for him much.

11. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

MOOGLE? - Replied Dec 10, 2004

i would say he most likely had a warped view of friend by the time he became well known..as with many well known people its hard to tell who is the user in such relationships , especially since warhol had so many people around him in an extreme artistic enviroment...

although i think basquiat and warhol's relationship was genuine and calculated by both parties for benifit of gain.

damn all this art talk kinda makes me wish i hadnt dropped out of georgtown to state hop

12. TresOne

TresOne 12oz Member

TresOne - Replied Dec 10, 2004

Sounds reminiscent of some "pseudoprepism" shit PGW talked about...

Craaaazy kids.

TresOne - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. DangerousArabian

DangerousArabian Banned

DangerousArabian - Replied Dec 10, 2004

sounds like shit. its like someone into gangs reading a book about a latin king, its all exagerated bullshit that people with no lives like to imagine themselves living a real life, so they waste their lives reading about others lives, lives of people who dont read books about others lives cause they have their own lives.

mmmm... anyway, get a life loser! (in a typical suburban white girl accent)

DangerousArabian - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  14. Nekro

Nekro 12oz Elite Member

Nekro - Replied Dec 10, 2004

What the fuck are you talking about?

DangerousArabian for worst new member 2004.

Nekro - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  15. DangerousArabian

DangerousArabian Banned

DangerousArabian - Replied Dec 10, 2004

Im saying, for those who cannot comprehend my complex and conflicted writing style, that people who read books on other peoples lives have no lives of their own.

No doubt theres exceptions, but blah blah blah, Im tired of typing...

DangerousArabian - Rank: Banned - Messages: