Edie Sedgwick

Victor Ward

just finished this book today. it was AWESOME.

edie sedgwick <for those not in the know> was born into an aristocratic and fairly conservative california family. at around age 20, (during the early 60s) she ran off to new york and went totally bonkers and rubbed elbows with socialites and druggie artists using her dad's money. somehow she wound up with andy warhol and became one of his "superstars." she was featured in a ton of his films and was seen everywhere with him for a few years, until a she realized what an inhuman dick he was and ditched him.

this book is awesome for several reasons

1. it's full of detailed, first-hand descriptions of trashy art parties, kids going to speed doctors to get shot up with amphetamines and coke several times a day, drug fueled orgies, exclusive social gatherings, rich people shit, heroin binges, pop art, personality disorders, designer clothes, etc.

2. one of the few books about 60's subcultures ive encountered that isnt about mods or rockers or fucking hippies. the people in this book were a breed of their own.

3. it's the only book i've come across that sortof reveals what an inhuman, sadistic, evil, talentless creep andy warhol was. someone try to tell me i'm wrong. i'm glad he got shot. FUCK andrew varchola.

4. it's got a handful of some pretty dope photos of edie and others fucking around and going wild at the factory.

5.it's just awesome.

the last few chapters are total downers, since edie spiralled down the shitter until she was majorly brain damaged (inability to talk or move, then crazy talk of alien abductions when she regained the ability to talk, incestuous cravings, etc) and then eventually OD'd at age 29.

anyway, anyone read this? you all should.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

naw she's got some really good points in scum..

the only thing that hinders this work is her anger, although her other books are by far more meanerer..

there are alot of other writers that had close or semi-close affiliations with warhol...i find them more interesting than warhol himself...andy just seemed to have an extremely magnetic personality but that doesnt make for being a caring or nice person either

Originally posted by MOOGLE?@Dec 9 2004, 11:17 PM

there are alot of other writers that had close or semi-close affiliations with warhol...i find them more interesting than warhol himself...andy just seemed to have an extremely magnetic personality but that doesnt make for being a caring or nice person either

agreed. warhol was basically just a user. he was a social climber who, with good timing, good luck, strong self promotion skills, and some "cute" ideas got famous. then all these poor, fucked up, fragile individuals were lured in by his promises of instand quasi-fame, fed more drugs, fucked up further, exploited, then dumped. on to the next it girl/ it boy.

i could be wrong, but i dont think that warhol ever had a single true friend. yeah, he was always surrounded by a really "hip" crowd, but they were all disposable. i mean the man died a near virgin, simply because sex would risk some actual emotional involvement with others.

so yeah, i don't care for him much.

i would say he most likely had a warped view of friend by the time he became well known..as with many well known people its hard to tell who is the user in such relationships , especially since warhol had so many people around him in an extreme artistic enviroment...

although i think basquiat and warhol's relationship was genuine and calculated by both parties for benifit of gain.

damn all this art talk kinda makes me wish i hadnt dropped out of georgtown to state hop

Originally posted by Victor Ward@Dec 10 2004, 02:45 AM

trashy art parties, kids going to speed doctors to get shot up with amphetamines and coke several times a day, drug fueled orgies, exclusive social gatherings, rich people shit, heroin binges, pop art, personality disorders, designer clothes, etc.

Sounds reminiscent of some "pseudoprepism" shit PGW talked about...

Craaaazy kids.

sounds like shit. its like someone into gangs reading a book about a latin king, its all exagerated bullshit that people with no lives like to imagine themselves living a real life, so they waste their lives reading about others lives, lives of people who dont read books about others lives cause they have their own lives.

mmmm... anyway, get a life loser! (in a typical suburban white girl accent)

oh brother. yeah dude, i have no life. hahaha. if only you knew.

sorry towelhead, but i think you're just mad cause you CAN'T read. and NO "the source" and "murder dawg" don't count.

but hey, in this book there's some pictures of edie in the buff with needle bruises all over her ass and thighs that i'm sure you'd enjoy.

Nekro: remember Kill Whitey? that's who Dangerous Arabian is. go figure.

Originally posted by DangerousArabian@Dec 10 2004, 06:09 AM

sounds like shit. its like someone into gangs reading a book about a latin king, its all exagerated bullshit that people with no lives like to imagine themselves living a real life, so they waste their lives reading about others lives, lives of people who dont read books about others lives cause they have their own lives.

mmmm... anyway, get a life loser! (in a typical suburban white girl accent)

you say some of the most ignorant shit. virtually all authors read books. that's what got them into writing books in the first place. also, you can gain a lot of knowledge and insight by seeing what other people went through and what they learned. doesn't mean you're trying to live vicariously through them. now, if you want to talk about people that try to live other people lives because they lack one of their own, talk about women that gossip about soap operas and reality tv all day long.