Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Ecko Clothes..

Discussion in 'Style' started by fermentor666, Mar 25, 2005.

1. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

I was fortunate enough not to give too much of a shit about clothes growing up, I still wear clothes that I bought as a junior in high school and if I had started college like most kids do, I would have had my degree by now. My roommate once bought me Phat Farm socks for my birthday because he got sick of seeing my toes stick out of the holes in the ones I was wearing, and I honestly had no idea what the hell Phat Farm was. That was 2 years ago, and I still have a couple of pairs of those left.

So naturally, I could give a fuck about Mark Ecko since he was involved with nothing I was remotely interested with and his clothes only made themselves visible to me in crowds of large people, and in crowds of large people I usually check out girls, and girls rarely wear Ecko clothes.

But being the occasional graffiti writer, it was inevitable that I would learn about these oversized t-shirts with giant uncomfortable patches that say "ecko" on them. I had a crazy shitbag of a roommate who first told me about Ecko. This is a kid who would swear to be a devout Anticon listener and then switch it up to Disturbed and some wack commercial thug shit right after. I mean, "do you" and all, but try not to fucking contradict yourself at every corner in the process. So he asked me if I ever heard of Ecko, and I hadn't so he explained to me that Mark Ecko was an old-school bomber from New Jersey (where this kid was from) and had mad respect from people in the game who showed this respect by buying his products.

"Hmmm, sounds like the typical bullshit you find with any mallrat across America" I thought, and filed "Ecko" into the same "trivial" folder as Hot Topic or Spencers.

Until something in me clicked. I'm not sure if it was the video game, the craptastic horror-core "rappers" on Myspace sporting his clothing, or just the hater in me but I'm starting to really not like this guy. Being that I play heavy amounts of games and have more admiration for John Carmack then I do for Revok or Tommy Hilfiger (not to shit on Revok cause I have lots of respect for him, but not Tommy Hilfiger he's a tool), it was inevitable that all this hype started to piss me off. Since Ecko isn't really a writer, I would have never had this problem until he put out the video game, since no one who is actually into graff gives a fuck about Mark Ecko.

So being that Mark Ecko's product was being shoved down my throat on the videogame front, I figured I'd read a little about him to get the whole story. I find out that he's your a-typical corporate figure who uses other people's ideas and talents to make his own ends meet. He's like the graffiti scene's own mini-Clear Channel, trying to make sure the masses will swallow his version of things so that the people who can tell them otherwise never get their story out there.

So that brings me to his clothes, his main business and the biggest spreader of the Mark Ecko name that he has. I think they suck ass and are for wiggers.

Discuss.

2. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

ecko clothes are cool, i think. I wouldnt rep em like "hey marc ecko was a graff writer so by wearing his cothes i am one too!" Some of the shit he puts out is dope so i buy it(or rack it whenever possible).

3. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

All the Ecko stuff I've seen have been exceptionally baggy pants with giant ECKO rubber patches on them, or exceptionally large t-shirts with giant ECKO rubber patches on them. And I hate rubber patches.

Oh yeah I've seen some ECKO visors too and I think visors are gay. But like I said, I'm not a big clothes guy, so maybe I overlooked something that was hidden behind the oversized shirts and pants?

4. paint junky

paint junky Member

5. AORAone

AORAone Veteran Member

im with you about the whole gaming deal, but MORESO his clothing. the ONLY people i see wearing that line is the fools that hang out at the mall, exactly as you said before, wanna be white boys. i wouldnt personally ever buy it, its all trend to me. even if he wasnt releasing a game i still wouldnt have anything to do with it. theres nothing special about any of the clothes ive seen. ive never looked at his stuff and said to myself "that looks dope"

6. The Leader

The Leader Senior Member

I was never big on clothes either. My shit always gets dirty. The
    only problem I have with Ecko clothing is it's rediculously expensive
    for something of its nature. Well, it's ugly too, but that's another
    story. Basically you can purchase something much nicer for the
    same or alittle bit more, and it wont have a big ass rubber stamp
    on it. Maybe it's just the guy in me that doesn't listen to eminem
    and ja rule that hates the way Ecko's clothes look, or maybe it's
    the guy that isn't a retard in me.

I haven't seen anyone in hip hop I actually respect wear his
    clothes either. I don't feel like naming names because that
    would take too long.

I'll try to make a compare and contrast post tomorrow featuring
    Ecko Clothing and shit that looks good for the same price.

7. 2old2care

2old2care Junior Member

I stick to the Army Navy surplus store...
    That same great Ecko look... without the gay rubber shits...

8. Sarah Tonin

Sarah Tonin Dirty Dozen Crew

yeh ecko was hot for a mere 2 seconds. ultra played now.

9. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

I rocked it back in the day when i was in grade 8 , same with phat farm and all that , i even paid 100 bucks for a pair of sweatpants (fuckin retard).....

But now im with 2old2care and really only shop at army navy , valuevillage, winners etc.... simple good looking clothes that dont cost a fortune .

10. 2 blaazed

2 blaazed New Jack

some ecko shirts are fire

11. hungoverseas

hungoverseas Member

ecko was the it thing when i was in middle school.

i still have some old tshirts from that era that i'll wear now and then.

as far as new ecko goes, that crocodile is dundeed.

12. WrIot

WrIot Senior Member

its funny the only time i ever had respect for him was when he did that shit with ecko...it wasnt even his, so i guess i never had respect for him!! i concurr ecko sucks...

but a lot of girls wear his clothes.

13. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

I first wore "Ecko" when it was called "Echo" in 1994.

I gave the pants away to my homeless friend a couple of years later, and ain't worn Ecko gear since. That shit got ugly real fast, imo.

14. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Oh yeah, and the scumbag ravers destroyed any interest I may have had in the Ecko line by about 1997. Face it, it's a case of so hip it hurts. And Mark Ecko may have to learn that the hard way.

15. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

I'm not buying.