Ecko Clothes..

fermentor666

I was fortunate enough not to give too much of a shit about clothes growing up, I still wear clothes that I bought as a junior in high school and if I had started college like most kids do, I would have had my degree by now. My roommate once bought me Phat Farm socks for my birthday because he got sick of seeing my toes stick out of the holes in the ones I was wearing, and I honestly had no idea what the hell Phat Farm was. That was 2 years ago, and I still have a couple of pairs of those left.

So naturally, I could give a fuck about Mark Ecko since he was involved with nothing I was remotely interested with and his clothes only made themselves visible to me in crowds of large people, and in crowds of large people I usually check out girls, and girls rarely wear Ecko clothes.

But being the occasional graffiti writer, it was inevitable that I would learn about these oversized t-shirts with giant uncomfortable patches that say "ecko" on them. I had a crazy shitbag of a roommate who first told me about Ecko. This is a kid who would swear to be a devout Anticon listener and then switch it up to Disturbed and some wack commercial thug shit right after. I mean, "do you" and all, but try not to fucking contradict yourself at every corner in the process. So he asked me if I ever heard of Ecko, and I hadn't so he explained to me that Mark Ecko was an old-school bomber from New Jersey (where this kid was from) and had mad respect from people in the game who showed this respect by buying his products.

"Hmmm, sounds like the typical bullshit you find with any mallrat across America" I thought, and filed "Ecko" into the same "trivial" folder as Hot Topic or Spencers.

Until something in me clicked. I'm not sure if it was the video game, the craptastic horror-core "rappers" on Myspace sporting his clothing, or just the hater in me but I'm starting to really not like this guy. Being that I play heavy amounts of games and have more admiration for John Carmack then I do for Revok or Tommy Hilfiger (not to shit on Revok cause I have lots of respect for him, but not Tommy Hilfiger he's a tool), it was inevitable that all this hype started to piss me off. Since Ecko isn't really a writer, I would have never had this problem until he put out the video game, since no one who is actually into graff gives a fuck about Mark Ecko.

So being that Mark Ecko's product was being shoved down my throat on the videogame front, I figured I'd read a little about him to get the whole story. I find out that he's your a-typical corporate figure who uses other people's ideas and talents to make his own ends meet. He's like the graffiti scene's own mini-Clear Channel, trying to make sure the masses will swallow his version of things so that the people who can tell them otherwise never get their story out there.

So that brings me to his clothes, his main business and the biggest spreader of the Mark Ecko name that he has. I think they suck ass and are for wiggers.

Discuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Ecko stuff I've seen have been exceptionally baggy pants with giant ECKO rubber patches on them, or exceptionally large t-shirts with giant ECKO rubber patches on them. And I hate rubber patches.

Oh yeah I've seen some ECKO visors too and I think visors are gay. But like I said, I'm not a big clothes guy, so maybe I overlooked something that was hidden behind the oversized shirts and pants?

im with you about the whole gaming deal, but MORESO his clothing. the ONLY people i see wearing that line is the fools that hang out at the mall, exactly as you said before, wanna be white boys. i wouldnt personally ever buy it, its all trend to me. even if he wasnt releasing a game i still wouldnt have anything to do with it. theres nothing special about any of the clothes ive seen. ive never looked at his stuff and said to myself "that looks dope"

I was never big on clothes either. My shit always gets dirty. The

only problem I have with Ecko clothing is it's rediculously expensive

for something of its nature. Well, it's ugly too, but that's another

story. Basically you can purchase something much nicer for the

same or alittle bit more, and it wont have a big ass rubber stamp

on it. Maybe it's just the guy in me that doesn't listen to eminem

and ja rule that hates the way Ecko's clothes look, or maybe it's

the guy that isn't a retard in me.

I haven't seen anyone in hip hop I actually respect wear his

clothes either. I don't feel like naming names because that

would take too long.

I'll try to make a compare and contrast post tomorrow featuring

Ecko Clothing and shit that looks good for the same price.

I rocked it back in the day when i was in grade 8 , same with phat farm and all that , i even paid 100 bucks for a pair of sweatpants (fuckin retard).....

But now im with 2old2care and really only shop at army navy , valuevillage, winners etc.... simple good looking clothes that dont cost a fortune .

It was tight back in grade school when mindlabs was making stuff

and there was the blue rhino label but now its all played out like

everyting else that takes off. But seriously there were some

innovations directly related to marc ecko, but

following abercrombie jumping into the youth makrket to make money off

5th grader's parents is not how I'd run a design house.

I never seen his graff though,

someone who has ever seen it should post it.

It was tight back in grade school when mindlabs was making stuff

and there was the blue rhino label but now its all played out like

everyting else that takes off. But seriously there were some

innovations directly related to marc ecko, but

following abercrombie jumping into the youth makrket to make money off

5th grader's parents is not how I'd run a design house. I'll never rock ecko again.

I never seen his graff though,

someone who has ever seen it should post it.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 27 2005, 04:57 AM

Oh yeah, and the scumbag ravers destroyed any interest I may have had in the Ecko line by about 1997. Face it, it's a case of so hip it hurts. And Mark Ecko may have to learn that the hard way.

word* i have one piece of clothing from Ecko, but i never rock it, i always get the feeling of feeling fake, so that shit stays in my closet.

I admit, I own an Ecko shirt. But that's because it had chinese symbols on it. It's still in my closet.

That was the only Ecko shirt I liked. Everything else was garbage. I was a fan of a few Reverb shirts when I was into graffingti and breakerdancing.

OMG TEH LAMEZ0R