Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

DVD-R questions

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by CIPHER_one, Sep 7, 2005.

1. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

Is it possible to burn over an hour of footage onto a DVD-R without the quality being decreased? Special DVD-R's that can only be ordered perhaps??

thanks

2. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus Senior Member

DVD-DL discs are around twice the size of DVD-Rs. They require a burner that supports them and the discs themselves are pretty steep right now.

I don't know what program you're using or what your source is, but many commerical movies with 120 minute running times will easily fit on a DVD-R without being lower quality than anything else, so you may want to look into what bitrate you're encoding at.

If you're just playing on the computer, or have a DVD player that will support MPEG4 formats, you could always encode to high bitrate DivX like pirate releases do, and end up with somewhere around 12 hours on a single disc.

3. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

an hour! damn you! that's 4.7 gigs of space. what the fuck are you burning to only be an hour? is it high def? wtf?

sorry, but there's really alot of space on a dvd. you should be fine.

4. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

Well, if you look on the back of DVD-R's, they say:

1 Hour= XP Highest Quality

2 Hours= SP Good Quality

4 Hours= whatever

Etc etc.

Kind of like on a VHS...actually exactly like it. You know what I'm sayin? So anything over an hour it has to go down in quality..

5. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

you should be fine with the sp setting is what i'm saying. it's the compression, etc you use on the film that makes or breaks it.

6. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus Senior Member

That information is probably based on burning actual DV quality shit, not the MPEG2 that DVDs were made for. Marketing bullshit is strange these days.

7. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

Right on, I usually export as a quicktime file and I can up the quality for that, or i could export it as an Mpeg-2 or whatever. I'm not too familiar with the other formats, or which ones are better. any advice as far as that's concerned?

8. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

standard dvd video is mpeg-2. there are tons of formats you can use for dvd's with video on them...

here's a super compact vcd thing i found

did i mention near dvd quality on a cd?
    http://www.autogk.me.uk/