DSL, Phone Jacks, and other exciting things...

Ski Mask

ok, so I've finally decided to make the leap to DSL from my shitty 56k(more like 48k) dialup, and I've got a question that I figure someone here will be able to answer.

I'm using a dedicated phone line for my dialup right now, which I will be getting rid of cause I can just get DSL on top of the other line in the house, but now I need a new jack for that line. I know how to install a new jack from an existing jack, and will be trying to get that done this weekend, but before I do, I'd like to know if this will have any impact on the speed. I know that you need to be within 6ft of the jack or the speed will be horrible, but I'm worried that once I put that new jack in and get hooked up I'll find out that my speeds lick ass cause the signal strength (for lack of a more accurate term) will be worse.

thanks, and any posts telling me to get cable will be ignored, that decision has already been made.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ADSL uses frequency ranges for transmission higher than those used for voice transmission. This allows the technology to piggyback on top of the existing phone line.

and no i dont believe you have to install the jack within 6 feet of the computer... but try to keep it under ten or else the signal will degrade along the way, maybe thats what your talkin about

iCEBERG shrugs

http://www.anixter.com/pubnet/pdf/3380ADSL.pdf

your gonna need adobe acrobat reader, its free at www.adobe.com

Guest willy.wonka

at radio shack

they have these thing that you can plug into any electrical outlet snd plug your phone cord into that....pretty cool.

DSL speed is base on where your at. Most depend on how far you are from the Central Office. Phone companies usually can get out to around 18,000 ft. Any provider should be able to tell you what the max speeds are for where you are. Outside wiring for your house has to deal with speed as well. There are probably a dozen things that could be on the phone lines that screw up speed. When I got my DSL hook up here at my apt. I had to have some outside line work done by the phone company. I live in an older apt building with poor wiring. As far as your pc being within 6 ft of the jack. Mine is about 15-18ft or so and I have no problems. Speed is great. Any way ask the tech doing the install when he comes out to do a line check and he can tell you the exact speed you'll be running at. If they say they can't do it then he is lying.

i love the people that think college dorms have t1's in them. In reality you have a MASSIVE lan in your college dorm's connected to a fast fast fast 10mbit + link. Check out some of the IRC servers run from colleges..then you'll get an idea of how much bandwith these places have (far greater then any t1)

my cable modem is 30kbps away from full t1 speed. yet i pay a fraction of the cost. a real t1 costs $500+ a month. the difference? with a t1 you do what you want, with a cable modem you are obligated to the contractional terms you signed with (no servers, excessive bandwith usage, spamming..etc)

Archived