Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

"DRUM CIRCLES"

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by DEE38, Apr 8, 2002.

1. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

Okay so the plan for my weekend was to kick it with my homegirl and paint her back yard, because she just got a place, and she asked me what's up with showing her how to paint with spray paint (not nessesarily graffiti)... and she is a really dope artist from what i've seen in her assignments at school, so I was really excited to see what she could produce using spraypaint, (plus I haven't touched a can ever since I have moved here) so we made plans to buff and paint her back yard walls yesterday. Blah.

Sunday she calls me at noon and i ask her whats up with painting her backyard, because I don't want her forgetting that it's gunna get dark in a couple hours and I don't think she thought about that.. and she's mad bummed because she just got dumped yesterday. (Not in the backyard painting mood anymore.) Okay.

Then she asks me to go with her to a "DRUM CIRCLE." I was like, uh okay, what the fuck is that, but sure.. you need some cheering up, and i am down.

Then she picks me up, and we get there. Holy shit... it's an area where theres trails to climb mountains and rocks, and a place for bbq's and chilling, and what not. It was really beautiful... then a lil further down... we can hear a grip of bongo drums, and people singing in another language........... this is what was called the "drum circle"

At first I was like what the fuck...?!?!??! These dreadlocked white people in redyellowgreen tie die shirts are gunna be wondering what the fuck's a brown girl doing there, but shit.. they were really nice. They were a bunch of people talking about "jah"... playing their drums, singing... and my homegirl (also my bellydancing teacher) does her thing to the music.. and i was like shit, this is awsome... drums are fucking awsome.... what a new experience. They kind of reminded me of cool hippy slash sublime looking people.... then at around 5 they cut out because they were mumbling something about phish being on t.v.

Does anyone else go to things like these?? I had homies back in Hawaii who chilled at their house doing shit like this.... but this was a whole new different type experience thing. We went back to my homegirls pad to get our drink on, and she had a bunch of drums too that she collects, and I had alot of fun rocking out on them too for a bit..... it's like a dope chill type way to kick it.

Who does these type of things? It's really awsome :)

2. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

Yes, because i live in hippie central i hvae been to drum circles, people usually have them in the mountains, actually in my city its pretty common to stumble upon a bunch of hippies doing these things in parks in the middle of the city.

Anyways, I cant say i really love them, i like the whole Idea around them, but i have trouble staying on beat, i really suck at drums and keeping time. Somthing to try, after you have been drumming for a while to a constant beat, check your pulse, supposedly your pulse will synchronize with the drum beat, everyone elses will too. Just somthing i heard from this crazy native american medicine hippie lady who was leading one of those things.

3. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

I've been to native indian drum circles. They're awesome. But I didn't get to smoke the peace pipe.....

4. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

I think Beardo goes to those things.

5. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

I know people that do it.

They smell like Patchulli Oil.

Play a lot of hackey sack.

"Liberate" plants from people's yards.

generally piss me off (only because I have no good reason to be mad at them)

6. platapie

platapie Guest

hahahahahahhhha

7. FreeDaddy

FreeDaddy Guest

hahahaheehehehhahahaaaa.. ughh that was good.

8. platapie

platapie Guest

double the fun hahahahahhahahhaa

9. beard

beard Guest

http://freephoto-i.net/users/beardo/phattybeards.jpg'>

dont sleep on drum circles

im the blurred out dude

10. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

boom boom boom boom
    " be one with nature, abandon society, feel the vibe"

boom boom boom boom
    "feel mother earth in your body, in your soul"

boom boom boom boom
    "hey dudes, shit, its like 6:30 bra, we better get inside so we can watch the simpsons dude, like phish is in it dude"

as they drive off into the city you catch the bumper sticker. "KILL YOUR TV"

11. donniefrisco

donniefrisco Member

fuck that hippy shit....

12. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

drum circles arent just for hippie shit...its one of the most exhilarating experience that one could have.i was honored by being invited to this native american"indian" drum circle,but i have been in a few of them..bangin on a dijimbe blowing through the dijideridoo.i cant really explain it..but i feel more in touch with myself and with others.i also get in touch with Jah.i find myself being spaced out,but on the constant beat, i climb to a higher place.
    yeah.

13. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

when i went..they didnt smoke..they said that the beating on the drums was good enough.everybody was happy.

14. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

sounds like raving.

15. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

not so surprising perhaps, the official seeking standoing is: "fuck a drum circle." if your native american, then cool, handle that. if your a white kid who thinks he's down with jah cause he smokes alot of pot... please. take a shower you filthy mongrel.

seeking/anti-love.