DRUG TUNNEL BUST

D0WN

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...hub=CTVNewsAt11

Secret drug tunnel busted on U.S.-Canada border

CTV.ca News Staff

Authorities in the United States have busted a drug-running operation on the border of Washington state and British Columbia that allegedly used an underground tunnel to transport marijuana.

CTV News Vancouver confirmed that RCMP officers were involved in the Wednesday bust, which was led by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). Homeland Security is also involved in the investigation.

A greenhouse targeted in the search is located near 264th Street and Zero Avenue in Langley, B.C., south and east of Vancouver. The town on the U.S. side of the border is Lynden, Wash.

The tunnel was described as sophisticated and well-maintained. Authorities had been watching construction on the site for eight months.

Authorities haven't yet revealed the dimensions of the tunnel, but a source told the Associated Press that it ran from the building on the Canadian side, and ran south to a house on the U.S. side about 90 metres from the border.

The Seattle Times reported the tunnel was almost a metre wide and 1.5 metres high. It had a concrete floor, wood-beam supports, ventilation and video security systems.

The Times also reports that investigators used a machine that can "see" underground, a video-equipped robot, a drug-sniffing dog and an air horn to find it.

AP reported that authorities had been monitoring construction of the tunnel for eight months. The tunnel was shut down Wednesday shortly after it opened, a government source told AP, adding that three to five arrests were made.

The DEA is not providing any further details, but the U.S. Attorney handling the case will speak at a news conference in Seattle this morning.

The DEA and the White House have complained previously about the volume of Canadian marijuana (known as "B.C. Bud") entering the U.S. through Washington state.

An estimated 880 to 2,200 tons of marijuana are grown in Canada annually, according to a report in Time magazine last year. Police estimate 90 per cent of the crop ends up in the U.S.

White House drug czar John Walters once blamed the high potency of "B.C. Bud" in part for a rise in marijuana-related emergency room incidents. "Canada is exporting to us the crack of marijuana," Walters said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

_41330629_tunnel_ap203body.jpg

A 3 million dollar bust? that ain't shit.

The province boasts 15,000 to 25,000 marijuana grow operations employing (at six persons per grow) between 90,000 and 150,000 people. The agency estimated the annual wholesale value of the pot crop at $4 billion. At $2,000 per pound, that is about two million pounds of BC bud each year, much of it headed south. The agency estimated that as much as 95% of the crop is exported to the ravenous US market.

"I'm not aware of anywhere in North America where a single [illegal] industry would be this important," Jim Brander, a professor of business economics at the University of BC, told the Vancouver Sun after studying the report.

How important is marijuana to the British Columbia economy? Counting only the people directly involved in grow operations (at six per grow) and taking the low end of the estimate, the marijuana sector's 100,000 workers make up 5% of the provincial workforce and number more than are employed in the province's massive logging, mining, and oil and gas industries (55,000 combined), the information and culture industries (99,000), provincial and local government (99,000), and business managers and administrators (79,000). Only the manufacturing sector, with 205,000 workers, is unarguably larger than the marijuana sector; the other two largest sectors -- construction and transportation -- both employ fewer than the high end figure from official BC employment statistics, cited by the OCA

Marijuana is also one of the province's leading exports, perhaps the largest in dollar terms if the OCA export figures are accurate. The top legal exports are wood ($3.2 billion US) and oil and gas ($1.5 billion US). According to the OCA, marijuana exports accounted for as much as $3.8 billion US.

And that is good for Canada. "Ideally, what any country wants to do is produce for export to other countries," said Lindsay Meredith, an economist at Simon Fraser University. "It creates a trade surplus and makes the currency stronger," he told the Vancouver Sun.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/195/bcmarijuana.shtml

yeah this isnt really new news though.. Ive been seeing about one or two of these related busts per year over the last decade..

I remember when they hooked one up that was completely lined with a trolley car that would transport everything. Of course not a huge street trolley car but som fairly large dumper type action deal.

Originally posted by dead sentiment@Jul 22 2005, 05:49 PM

B.C. bud sucks. its the "crack" of nothing. it gets you high for as long as you're smoking it. that shit is fools gold.

i get more of a buzz off of a newport.

I know what you're saying but... just because it's from B.C. doesn't mean it's that water-flavored pretendo funk. I think they were being general.

I love reading all the bizzare arrest stories that pop up from drug smuggling around here. my favorite was the guy they caught on a golf course in surrey. he walked back over the border and got lost heading for vancouver. when they picked him up he had a backpack with a large amount of cash, coke, a small bag of diamonds, and about 3 handguns. and he didnt even run!

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle+Jul 22 2005, 12:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr. Dazzle - Jul 22 2005, 12:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Did they use it to transport cattle too?

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-dead sentiment@Jul 22 2005, 02:49 PM

B.C. bud sucks. its the "crack" of nothing. it gets you high for as long as you're smoking it. that shit is fools gold.

i get more of a buzz off of a newport.

okay - dazzle - that was amazing

uhm dead sentiment - UNLESS YOU LIVE IN BC YOU KNOW NOTHING OF BC BUD. thats all i have to say.