Drug Addiction

toaztlove

I'm going to take a moment to drop my thoughts on drug addiction, in the hopes that we can build for a better tomorrow or something. The post about Davis made me want to do this... and I'm not trying to be-little the death of your friend iquit, I've lost a couple homies to the dope and it sucks... my heart goes out to you

You can ask an addict why he/she uses drugs, or better yet ask yourself (if thats one of your afflictions or hobbies or however you view it). You might be suprised that the answer is elusive. At first you might say some bullshit 'because its fun', but you can dig deeper than that.

I often wonder why, but I was forunate enough to be blessed with lots of drugs and plenty of time in rehabs when I was younger, I'm still young and I can at least see myself getting carried away, if nothing else I can let someone know straight up that I need help. Alot of my friends haven't had such luxuries and they're stuck trying to figure things out for themselves, and I fear for some it was too late the first time they hit that fat rail. I'm not saying I'm a wise drug user, but I think wise use of drugs is possible.

If a substance can make you feel so good, make you feel like you just need $20 and you can get happy, that can be a problem. Society enforces emotional stupidity, get emotionally wiser and you can use drugs more wisely. I truly believe that a lot of drugs have as much potential to do positive things to a persons life as they do to fuck one's life up. I also think a lot of legal drugs are garbage and some legal drug dealers AKA psychiatrists are fucking scumbags. I don't think drug problems lie in the drugs themselves, but more how people use them, and why.

I don't know, I kind of rambled on here. I know the 12oz. rules say no drugs, but this is some real shit right here. I'm nto trying to have people respond and say I did XYZ last night and got fucked up, but if some folks want to respond about drug addiction, personal experiences, thoughts, all that, I think it'd be nice to hear. maybe I can formulate my own thoughts better at a later date.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is about willpower. I've done hydromorphone, coke, meth, and an array of other addictive shit and always knew when to stop. The only drugs I do anymore are hallucinogens that usually run me something like $2.00 for a 12 hour trip, don't fuck around with street drugs anymore. Fuck a dealer.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by toaztlove

know the 12oz. rules say no drugs, but this is some real shit right here. I'm nto trying to have people respond and say I did XYZ last night and got fucked up

Sorry but despite the intentions, i cant see how this thread could be held under control without violating the rules. I waited a bit before i did that but i guess you all see where its going.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

this has the potential to be a good, useful discussion and dialoge, but will be moderated heavily. any bullshit will not be tolerated, and edited without question or explanation.

when i was embroiled in the worst depression of my life, drugs kept me from killing myself..

that's hard for anyone who hasn't been that depressed to understand.

i still use them as a crutch.

they've had their positive influence on my life

but also negative ones too.

no regrets i guess.

I know i am an addict, but that was the legacy passed onto me from the wonderful generations before me. I watched my dad destroy his life cuz he couldnt face his fears, the bottom of that bottle was a better place than the difficult things he had at home. He left us when i was about 12 so right as drugs started to show up in my peer groups i avoided them like the plague. in my late teens i tried acid, love it ... that was my pandoras box. I allways kept in mind my family history, yet i experimented around a bit keeping one rule (no snorting, no slamming)

in my early 20's i started to smoke bowls and i let that get out of hand, i know it holds me back in many aspects of my life yet i feel its my Prozack. I tired shrooms in 2000 and venture back there once and a while ... when in that open state i often wound up upset with my addiction, just this year on new years i had a very positive experience there and it has helped in many ways. I have greatly reduced my (false) need to smoke, and treat it the way i want to, not letting it control me. I was able to maintain all the things that go with adult life, bills, the 9-5, etc.. but the smoke was holding me back. I feel i have broken the bonds that showed up when i spent more time stoned than sober, yet i can still enjoy a bowl at the end of a long day much like most do with a single glass of wine or a beer.

i will drink but i still hold much respect of the drink and seriously watch myself with that one, i have only been hungover enough times to count on one hand.

i still have never tried coke, H, meth ... i know myself and i know i cant try those, past that i dont have much intrest in any of them.

i dont know who said it but all of the psycologists giving out all these new drugs that effect mood frighten me more than street drugs ... they cant even tell you how they work ... if you ask watch them squirm or they may be up front and say no one knows. thats not cool i dont want shit in my body when i dont know where its from.

ahhhh....

I think that we're living in a time where people dont really watch what they put into their systems, be it gen-mod foods or whatever happens to come in that gelcap. We're also looking for the quick fix in everything from microwave dinners to getting over depression. Escapism is tolerated these days to the point where binge eating or abusing slepping pills is seen as a normal fact of life, but it really shouldnt be.

lunch break.... I'll be back to this one soon.

I've been around people that are strict recreational users and some that are full blown addicted. I think the only reasons I've never really used are the fact that I know I have an addictive personality and I've seen a couple friends destroy their lives and their families.

Guest spectr

Drug addiction is fucked up i know way to many people who are addicted to drugs myself probally included i have watched quite a few friends throw it all down the drain using different things had friends drop overnight thinking to myself shit when did he start using, its some hard shit i personally just overcame a recent demon and am trying to combat some others though all i can do is keep on living trying to survive paying rent and put food in my stomach.

well from an economic stand point addictive drugs have an inelastic demand with their consumption. for the lay person out there that means that no matter what the price people will always buy drugs. that's part of the reason they are illegal.

<span style='color:black'>I think dope is fuckin wack. It leads people to do some of the most fucked up shit that they would never do in "real" life. I had a friend that ODd on heroin and would have been okay if the people he was with would have taken him to the hospital or called an ambulance. Instead they were afraid of being arrested for having heroin on them or some shit so they let him die. They then took his body to a field and dumped it there. His body laid there for 6 mos and nobody said shit. His parents were a mess and everybody was worried as a bitch. The people he was with were finally caught, arrested and convicted. They served 6 mos for illegal dumping of a body.

I just recently found out that one of my boys here does ron on the regular. He told me that he got started with it after he got hooked on this perscription drug that was perscribed to him in the hospital. He heard that heroin did basically the same thing to people and when his prescription ran out, he turned to the bullshit.

After being iked up for a while i have decided in my own personal life that it is just time to sit back and crush mad beers when i want to alter my perception of the world.</span>

i have tried weed it wasnt my thing i dont believe in drugs i think they are for people who arent comfortable enough with themselves and they have to create an alter ego or world using drugs.i rarely drink and i cant stand people that all they thing about is getting high all the time.

Ayo its poison, ecstacy, coke

You say its love, it is poison

Schools where I learned they should be burned, it is poison

Physicians prescripting us medicine which is poison

Doctors injecting our infants with the poison

Religion misoverstood is poison

nas-

let me tell a little story about a drug addict I know:

So I meet up with an old buddy on a tuesday night at the pub for a pint or two. We're chatting and catching up and he asks me if I think we should get some drugs. I tell him that I'm not interested and I dont want to have a late night. The guy is almost begging me to call my guy and have him come by. I'm totally against it because I can say no. This guy cant say no to drugs, so he ends up asking random people when I'm in the bathroom and to make a long story short, he almost get his ass kicked, gets my ass threatened with a knife over shit I wasnt even going to touch and he got his laptop stolen durring the whole mess.

so my point?

It's really not hard to see how some people are more than willing to let drugs fuck with their life and their relationships with others. I'm propably not going to hang with this old 'friend' ever again because drug users put themselves and their associates into situations that are dangerous and foolish. Drugs change people and those of us with a soild survival instinct can see the negative effects.

now before anyone calls me two faced,

Moderation and controll are the keys to any experience.

Dont be a retard and people wont have to treat you like one.

I happen to think that drug addiction is more strongly a psychological problem than a physical addiction. Although the physical part can be very bad... what usually gets people started and what keeps them going for the most part is psychological. Probably often people are depressed like what r2 said. Or maybe they just want to be "cool" and fit in somewhere. Life can often be difficult and drug use is like the ultimate escapism. Unfortuanatly it's just too easy to get caught up in it and the positive forms of escapism like art are often missed.

Even when our lives are going good we often find ourselves becoming bored. This can be another contributing factor. Think about it... we work at our boring mindless dead end jobs day in and day out so we can come home and watch some boring tv. Our family doesn't have time with us and our friends are busy as well. We all have our own lives to live. It's incredibly boring. There is nothing filling us up but this empty mindless entertainment. This psuedofriend. If we are going to have a fake life we may as well make it as believable as possible right? So drugs come in. All of a sudden we are alive for a moment, the world is a vast and curious place again, we have an interest in people again.... We like the feeling. We become addicted to escape our pathetic lives.

Drugs are probably going to become a bigger problem as well. Whatwith the baby boomers aging, they want drugs, the genome mapped, much potential for more drugs, funky new viruses, we need more drugs.... And to top all that off the marketing is going to be off the chain. Everyone is affected by that.

It sucks. Drugs used to be sacred. Now they are a lifestyle choice.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

sometimes when i talk about my addiction i sum up using drugs like this:

first it was fun, then it was funny, then it was fucking rediculous.

cikone/sk: i wholeheartedly disagree with you. it has nothing to do with willpower or being weak. and why dont you buy the disease theory? diseases are named as such becasue they fit 3 criteria: progressive, incurable and if left untreated are fatal. based of that, the medical communities standard, how doesnt it fit?

for the record, i have used drugs, lots of them, but dont anymore. i am not against drugs, i just know that drugs arent for me. but i definately dont judge people who eaither use recreationally, or are hooked. it's real easy to cast judgement and make blanket statements unless you have fisthand experience.

Originally posted by E MARTYR

FUCK DRUGS.

its all about pussy and alcohol.

CONTRADICT MUCH THERE ???? alcohol is a drug.

another for ya .... think about this one ... caffiene is the first narcotic used by the human spieces. how deep is the line at Starbucks at 6:00am ?? We let children under 5 drink a Coke and dont bat an eye.

how come when drugs come up people only talk about RX or illegal drugs. Alcohol and caffiene are just as addictive but cuz its legal no one cares. that double standard pisses me off to no end.

Well, my old man's a hooked on marijuana. What makes it worse, is that he has a cronic disease, and cannot work. Smoking 3 grams a day, with a steady income is one thing, but when you can't work, you should cut back. What pisses me off, is that my grandma and I, hook him money to pay his bills, but the majority of it gets spent on weed. Before I started smoking weed, this use to get me really mad, but now, I know, that that's the way he is. He doesn't like it, and he's tried to cut down/stop, and I respect that.

As of late, I've been smoking way too much weed myself, and have decided to limit my "drug" use, for fridays, and weekends, because its really affecting my head. I can't remember the names of people I've worked with for over 6 months, and when I'm not high, life brings me down, and thats not the way I want to live. Plus, in the past 5 months, I've gained way too much of a tolerance, which I dislike. Bottom line is, "everything in moderation, even moderation".

well, here, fuck drugs, fuck alcohol, fuck cigarettes, fuck all that shit. I have a friend that i was best friends with from 9th-12th grade, during 12th grade he got deep into alcohol, then deep into weed, now he's doing speed at Georgia Tech and MsContin and OxyContin, which is fucking gay. Its just shitty to watch your friends going from something cool to a little speed whore.

Originally posted by CILONE/SK

This whole disease way of looking at it is bullshit.

I disagree wholeheartedly- Alcoholism is a disease. It can be passed from one generation to another. My family is notorious for producing alcoholics (on my mothers side). Just because no one is forcing one to hit the bottle/take the drugs does not mean its not a disease. No one is forcing people to have sex (with the exception of rape), but getting HIV is catching a disease- Its the same thing with just different variables...

I know I am one drink away from being an alcoholic. I've been down the path before and I realized what it can do ones life. Now, I drink maybe 4 times a year. One being the HRC dinner, one my birthday, maybe a friends birthday and 4th of July would be the fourth. Theres other things i partake in, but also know when to control that.

Saying it is not a disease is the bullshit part. You also say you have no sympathy for people who get addicted. I have an extremely addictive personality. When ive experimented with certain drugs, I found myself becoming addicted VERY quick- NO MATTER what drug- nicotine,caffeine, street drugs, prescription drugs etc....

I didnt sign up for having an addictive personality, I just have it- Sometimes i do agree, its the will power of the person. Other times, its something the person cannot control. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be aware of conditions they have. I've spent years and years and years in therapy with counselors, physciatrists and pyschologists...I am just lucky enough to have been in a situation to afford this to make myself aware of these conditions I was born with.

One thing that really bugs me when dealing with conversations about this is the lack of experience of most people when they want to speak. Too many variables are ignored or passed off as "weaknesses." I'm supposed to take medication everyday for the rest of my life- is that a weakness of mine? Doubt it....You need to look at something with a wellrounded view and not just from your view point or atleast, include other variables for your argument or your argument is just irrelevant words meshed together to form pretty little sentences.

Originally posted by Dusty Lipschitz

sometimes when i talk about my addiction i sum up using drugs like this:

first it was fun, then it was funny, then it was fucking rediculous.

That's exactly how a former addict that I know put it. It started off fun, but before he knew it, he couldn't get through the day without it, and it went from being fun, to being a necessity.....

I don't think a lot of addicts realize that when they start to do them. And when they finally do, it's too late.....

only if its abused...

and coke is addicting for sure. however, im getting better, i havent had one in about a week or so, but i eat to much fast food, so its hard to avoid, but ive been doing really good. had my first one in about a week.

So if heroin is used responsibly, would it not be a drug either?

Ny brother is addicted to coke (a cola). He drinks about 4 cans a day, no joke. A friend of mine is also addicted to fast food, he eats it every day no matter how much he tries not to. By no means the same as more recognized "drugs", but it kinda skews the line as to what a "drug" really is.....

I know im a full blown alcoholic. There is no reasoning there. I have a beer bottle in my hand at least 5 out of 7 days a week. I maintain great grades at a local university and make some prettty good money.. But doing great in life does not concur(sp?) with the serious health risks that im putting myself at.. I know i have a drinking problem.. bottom line.. both sides of the family have it and im not trying to blame anyone. its my own dam fault..

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by SenorSeven

One thing that really bugs me when dealing with conversations about this is the lack of experience of most people when they want to speak. Too many variables are ignored or passed off as "weaknesses." I'm supposed to take medication everyday for the rest of my life- is that a weakness of mine? Doubt it....You need to look at something with a wellrounded view and not just from your view point or atleast, include other variables for your argument or your argument is just irrelevant words meshed together to form pretty little sentences.

yuup, i agree. with your whole post, but especially this part.

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

I don't think a lot of addicts realize that when they start to do them. And when they finally do, it's too late.....

of course not. when i got drunk for the first time at 11, i had no idea that i would eventually sell my soul to get one more. i broke all sorts of laws, beliefs, principles and morals, just to get one more. its a slippery slope. most people dont realize how slippery until its too late. i remember being a little kid, and me and my mom were going to the store. this was this guy coming out of a bar, barely able to stand or walk. obviously REAL fucked up. i remember my mom taking me by the hand, crossing the street, telling me not to look, that he was all wasteedd and drugged up. i remmeber one night about 10 years later, in the middle of my active addiction, coming out of some kids house, and a mom and son were walking up the block. she looked at me, took her son by the hand, and crossed the street and she whispered to him. i thought back to that other experience, a decade earlier, and it hurt. i knew i was in troulbe. i knew i had ended up somewhere, mentally/ emotionally/ spiritually, that i never intended, and sure as shit didnt like.

Originally posted by SenorSeven

I know I am one drink away from being an alcoholic. I've been down the path before and I realized what it can do ones life. Now, I drink maybe 4 times a year. One being the HRC dinner, one my birthday, maybe a friends birthday and 4th of July would be the fourth. Theres other things i partake in, but also know when to control that.

<span style='color:sandybrown'>see, thats how its different than a disease, you can decide to quit, you have the power to realize that its a problem. You can think "i dont want aids" and then up and quit aids, you cant un-have downs syndrome, those are diseases. Thats how its different

Dont get me wrong, i think its a problem, but not a disease </span>

this ones to e martyr... if your reply was sarcastic and it got mispercieved, my apologies. if not... well, alcohol is a drug, if you didn't know that I'm glad I was the one that got to make you aware of this fact. I've seen alcohol do just as much damage as cocaine and or heroin, I might go as far to say as both combined, maybe more...

as for 'pussy', christ... I see sex treated as an intoxicant every day... so much infact, that I wonder if theres any hope for kindness... I've seen a lot of people do or say whatever, regardless of their true feelings, to get the ass, keep it up pal! you're part of the problem... try to be honest and open and people can't believe it, they think you want something from them or you're just bullshitting them just like most everyone else... its easy to subscribe to that bullshit mind state, 'im tryin to get a piece of ass'.. hah, fuck it... continue living emotionally retarded and inconsiderate... if every time someone had sex with someone they were completely honest with, unconditionally loving of and ready to emotionally support their partner in whatever manner possible... well, I think there'd be a whole lot less wackness in the world...

in the face of all this bullshit, I think drugs are a good way out... I'll give it up to whoever said drugs saved them from suicide when they were depressed... thats prime shit right there, at least theres drugs when it seems like theres nothing else... drugs _ARE_ a crutch, but that doesn't make their use invalid... people always knock drugs like 'oh drugs are just a crutch', this is the first time I've seen someone convey that in a positve light... big up big up :)

gotta reckanize you wont be getting high, typing, painting or doing anything else from a pine box under six feet of earth

Originally posted by Dusty Lipschitz

of course not. when i got drunk for the first time at 11, i had no idea that i would eventually sell my soul to get one more. i broke all sorts of laws, beliefs, principles and morals, just to get one more. its a slippery slope. most people dont realize how slippery until its too late. i remember being a little kid, and me and my mom were going to the store. this was this guy coming out of a bar, barely able to stand or walk. obviously REAL fucked up. i remember my mom taking me by the hand, crossing the street, telling me not to look, that he was all wasteedd and drugged up. i remmeber one night about 10 years later, in the middle of my active addiction, coming out of some kids house, and a mom and son were walking up the block. she looked at me, took her son by the hand, and crossed the street and she whispered to him. i thought back to that other experience, a decade earlier, and it hurt. i knew i was in troulbe. i knew i had ended up somewhere, mentally/ emotionally/ spiritually, that i never intended, and sure as shit didnt like.

whoa man.. thats deep

was i talking about heroin? no. :rolleyes:

i was talking about alcohol. i dont believe its addicting, unless you abuse it. I drink for fun, when i feel like getting fucked up. I dont need it 24-7.

Well I don't need heroin 24-7, but I know that it's an addictive drug.....

Archived