dream interpretations?

zodiddly

the past 4 nights ive had dreams about people that were close to me that are dead now. last night was about a very dear lifelong friend and the 3 nights before that i dreamt of my mother. if any of you know anything about interpreting dreams...what does this mean? the wierdest one was a couple nights ago i dreamt that people had been lying to me about my mom. She has been gone for a year and a half and in my dream she wasnt dead at all. my family kept her from me all this time. this morning when i woke up it took me a couple minutes before i realized that my friend wasnt going to call me today. it was really creepy and i want to know what it means!? i appreciate your feedback

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Drunk Sober@Oct 10 2004, 11:46 AM

I dont believe in dream interpretation, dreams are just shitty sci-fi flicks most of the time. They happen because your brain get overloaded with imagery and thought.

exactly. dreams are your brains way of getting rid of "trash". not to say that your homies that passed are trashy thoughts, but just like your dendrites and axoms grow and shrink and replace as new info is absorbed and turned into "permanent info", your memories are doing the same thing by dreaming.

i have a book called 10,000 dreams interpreted

so i looked under 'death' and it says

"to dream of seeing any of youre people dead, warns you of coming dissolution or sorrow. dissapoinments always follow dreams of this nature."

under "dead" it said

"To dream of the dead is usually of a deam of warning. if u see and talk with your father some unlucky transaction is about to be made by you. be careful how you enter contracts; enemies around you. men and women are warned to look into their reputations after thier dream.

To see your mother, warns you to control your inclination to cultivate morbidness and ill toward your fellow creatures. a brother, or other relative or friend, denotes that you may be calledon for charity or aid within a short time.

To dream of seeing the dead, living and happy, signifies that you are leting wrong influences into your life, wich will bring material loss if not correctedby the assumption of your own will power.

To dream you are conversing with a dead relative, and that relative endeavors to extract a promise from you, warns you of coming distress, unless you follow the advicegiven you. disastrous consequences could often be avered if minds could grasp the inner workings and sight of the higher or spiritual serlf. the voice of relatives is only that higher self taking form to approach more distinclty the mind that lives near the material plane. there is so little congeniality between common or material natures thast persons should depend upon their own subjectivity for true contentment and pleasure."

Originally posted by zodiddly@Oct 10 2004, 04:36 PM

the past 4 nights ive had dreams about people that were close to me that are dead now. last night was about a very dear lifelong friend and the 3 nights before that i dreamt of my mother. if any of you know anything about interpreting dreams...what does this mean? the wierdest one was a couple nights ago i dreamt that people had been lying to me about my mom. She has been gone for a year and a half and in my dream she wasnt dead at all. my family kept her from me all this time. this morning when i woke up it took me a couple minutes before i realized that my friend wasnt going to call me today. it was really creepy and i want to know what it means!? i appreciate your feedback

According to what little I've learned from working with some of the doctors at my school is that the current accepted way of thinking in regards to dreams is that they are primarily a function of memory reformation and storage, and the expression of repressed emotions. Sit down and think about how you feel about these people; are there unresolved emotions? If there's still issues you need to work through, I would encourage you to write it out in a private journal or something.

Originally posted by Seldoon+Oct 10 2004, 05:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seldoon - Oct 10 2004, 05:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Drunk Sober@Oct 10 2004, 11:46 AM

I dont believe in dream interpretation, dreams are just shitty sci-fi flicks most of the time. They happen because your brain get overloaded with imagery and thought.

exactly. dreams are your brains way of getting rid of "trash". not to say that your homies that passed are trashy thoughts, but just like your dendrites and axoms grow and shrink and replace as new info is absorbed and turned into "permanent info", your memories are doing the same thing by dreaming.

[/b]

I think you need to brush up on your psychology.

Originally posted by Fugazi@Oct 10 2004, 08:09 PM

Ok. How about this then? During dream sleep (REM sleep) neurons are operating on automatic pilot to create imagery; they are just less constrained in the absense of sensory input, and they feed you fantastic stories and images as they work to make sense of and store the prior day's events.

The neurons I previously mentioned in particular are two different sets of neurons which release two different kinds of chemical signal.

One set release adrenergic chemicals, which keep the mind alert, attentive, and free from stray images. These neurons are active when we're awake, but shut down when we're asleep.

The other set releases cholinergic chemicals. These stimulate the body's motor centers, emotional centers, and information-processing centers. These too are active during the day, but they kick into high gear when we fall asleep, sending bursts of impulses from the brain stem up into the brain's higher regions.

The cholinergic chemicals' stimulation of the brain's emotional regions explains the frequency of anxiety dreams and nightmares, as well as our common dream experiences of eroticism, anger, and great happiness.

Another plausible role of REM sleep is a process for reliving new and old experiences so they become more permanently etched as long-term memories.

Now some say that because of the suppression of the parts of our brain sensitive to adrenergic chemicals, the content of dreams seems diametrically opposed to the lines of reasoning we follow when alert and focused. This is why some creative insights occur to us in dreams.

Getting into repressed memories would take about 4 pages, so we'll just leave it at this: Repression is a defense mechanism believed to hinder conscious recall of terribly difficult experiences. There is a non-sequitur following this idea, but that's something irrelevant at this time.

"What little I've learned from working with some of the doctors at my school" is what I've been and am continuing to learn for years now. Not dreams in particular, but understanding the Perception, Attention, and the Four Theatres of the brain to be more precise. What you quoted was a sloppy rendition of my thoughts.

on the book about dreams: take it with a grain of salt. it's nothing but a bunch of leftover Freudian bullshit

the comment that dreams are nothing but "trash" from the day isn't entirely false, but it's not entirely true either.

the short version (if you don't want to read the extra crap): I would guess that you're a little more stressed out or under pressure than usual. Dreaming about your mother and those around you who are no longer alive probably doesn't mean anything specific, but during the day or even during the past week or so, you may have thought of them at some point (even if it were only for a short period of time). This could have brought up some feelings about those situations or other situations you're currently dealing with which would be manifested in your dreams...

the longer version (mostly random stuff)

it has been proven that the content of our dreams is not random. the current idea is that dreams come from " fears, problems, and issues that captured our thoughts [either throughout the day or] before we went to bed."** there was a study done where one half of the participants were reminded of conflicts in their current situation immediately before going to sleep. the majority of them reported either dreaming about that conflict or of something related or similar. more evidence shows that people have an increase in the frequency of dreaming when they are stressed out/under more pressure than usual, and when they are anxious (sometimes about new things).

(from an assignment in a psych class I took) my own theory is somewhat along the lines of: Dreams serve a combination of purposes. They are there to help solve problems from the day or current life in an unrestricted, unadulterated environment, and they are also there to give insightful ideas through randomness and the weird. I think dreams are beneficial because they help us learn to solve problems in different ways whether they may be possible in the real world or not and simply knowing that there is a solution to a problem in some way, shape, or form serves to put our mind somewhat at ease by reducing anxiety. Dreaming is an inherent part of being a healthy human being."

*on why we dream*

"The psychological value of REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep (this is the stage of sleep where we are dreaming) was demonstrated in one experiment in which participants were shown a film about autopsy procedures before and after a night's sleep. The film, depicting a physician performing ana autopsy in greusome detail, was selected for the study because it invariably created high levels of anxiety in viewers. Participants deprived of REM sleep had a more difficult time coping with their anxiety than participants deprived of REM sleep. The participants allowed to dream showings of the film were significantly less disturbed by the film the second time they saw it." **

<3,

your local psychology nerd

Originally posted by zodiddly@Oct 10 2004, 06:43 PM

well my mom has only been gone a short while and i think about her alot everyday. until the past couple days i havent had dreams like this

don't answer this if you think it's too personal, but what else is currently going on in your life?

or if you want, drop me an e-mail (I'm pretty sure the one here works)...

Originally posted by bathoræ@Oct 10 2004, 09:50 PM

Oh, and I don't mean to insult you, 2blazzed, but things like that book are pretty upsetting. They help contribute to the misconception of Psychology in modern society...

Freud was a genius for his time, but most of his ideas just don't hold up scientifically...

Yes. Thank you bathoræ. Down with mysticism!

Originally posted by Seldoon+Oct 11 2004, 01:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seldoon - Oct 11 2004, 01:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fugazi@Oct 10 2004, 08:09 PM

Ok. How about this then? During dream sleep (REM sleep) neurons are operating on automatic pilot to create imagery; they are just less constrained in the absense of sensory input, and they feed you fantastic stories and images as they work to make sense of and store the prior day's events.

The neurons I previously mentioned in particular are two different sets of neurons which release two different kinds of chemical signal.

One set release adrenergic chemicals, which keep the mind alert, attentive, and free from stray images. These neurons are active when we're awake, but shut down when we're asleep.

The other set releases cholinergic chemicals. These stimulate the body's motor centers, emotional centers, and information-processing centers. These too are active during the day, but they kick into high gear when we fall asleep, sending bursts of impulses from the brain stem up into the brain's higher regions.

The cholinergic chemicals' stimulation of the brain's emotional regions explains the frequency of anxiety dreams and nightmares, as well as our common dream experiences of eroticism, anger, and great happiness.

Another plausible role of REM sleep is a process for reliving new and old experiences so they become more permanently etched as long-term memories.

Now some say that because of the suppression of the parts of our brain sensitive to adrenergic chemicals, the content of dreams seems diametrically opposed to the lines of reasoning we follow when alert and focused. This is why some creative insights occur to us in dreams.

Getting into repressed memories would take about 4 pages, so we'll just leave it at this: Repression is a defense mechanism believed to hinder conscious recall of terribly difficult experiences. There is a non-sequitur following this idea, but that's something irrelevant at this time.

"What little I've learned from working with some of the doctors at my school" is what I've been and am continuing to learn for years now. Not dreams in particular, but understanding the Perception, Attention, and the Four Theatres of the brain to be more precise. What you quoted was a sloppy rendition of my thoughts.

[/b]

I haven't learned much about sleeping. I'm a few years from a doctrate, and make no claim to be an expert on sleep; it's not my area of interest. I was confused in your first post as to what an 'axom' is, and that's why I made the comment.

I'd be impressed if you could adequately cover repression in four pages, by the way. Some of what you said was on point, but the term "cholinergic" is fairly vague in regards to neurotransmitters, I'd be interested to hear more specifically which you believe are more involved in dreaming.

Originally posted by Fugazi@Oct 10 2004, 11:19 PM

I haven't learned much about sleeping. I'm a few years from a doctrate, and make no claim to be an expert on sleep; it's not my area of interest. I was confused in your first post as to what an 'axom' is, and that's why I made the comment.

I'd be impressed if you could adequately cover repression in four pages, by the way. Some of what you said was on point, but the term "cholinergic" is fairly vague in regards to neurotransmitters, I'd be interested to hear more specifically which you believe are more involved in dreaming.

Ah, "axom" the definition is this: a typo. That's my fault entirely. It should be obvious alongside dendrite that I meant "axon", as they go hand-in-hand. For those that don't know, dendrites are the main way by which neurons get information (learn); and axons are the main way by which neurons pass on information to (teach) to other neurons. Each nerve cell has one axon and as many as 100,000 dendrites.

I remember a speaker once say that there are more possible ways to connect the brain's neurons than there are atoms in the universe. The connections guide our bodies and behaviors, even as every thought and action we take physically modifies their patterns.

The amygdala, a central component of the limbic system, is the system of emotion and motivation that enables us to participate in the social world. The structure consists of about a dozen different clusters of neurons that have different functions, cholinergic among them. The amygdala and structures around it send information on various parts of the temporal cortex to help the neurons there encode and remember an engram, which is a representation of something to be remembered, and to change, regroup, and recalibrate. It sends cholinergic neurons up to the temporal cortex, making those neurons more likely to fire and fire more easily, so that it is easier to encode (and back to the point) a memory. And as I said previously, the cholinergic neuron is active in waking and REM sleeping.

As for dreaming itself, i'm not interested in the interpretation of dreams. So my knowledge on them is limited to strictly a scientific level of why we dream and how we dream. And that knowledge is far from complete, as I don't personally care to explore that area much further than I have in my studies. To me, dreams are dreams, we all have them and there is nothing mystic about them.

Repression is a fascinating study and I would be hard pressed to give the subject worthy coverage in four pages.

Like I stated before, repression is an important (Freudian) defense mechanism believed to hinder conscious recall of terribly difficult experiences. But, some contemporary psychiatrists claim that repression works only for an isolated traumatic experience; it is not powerful enough to explain the total amnesia of entire periods of a person's past. For some, traumatic amnesia can only be explained through dissociation.

One problem with the dissociation theory, however, is that for normal subjects repeated experiences enhance memory. So if abuse, for instance, occurred regularly it should be easier to remember than not. In order to achieve a profound long-term amnesia, the repression mechanism would have to overcome the strong reinforcing action of repetition. Meanwhile, studies show that the recollection of a single traumatic incident is very high! See the problem?

This is just a tip of the depth involved in repression.

Off to bed.

Originally posted by Seldoon+Oct 11 2004, 04:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seldoon - Oct 11 2004, 04:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fugazi@Oct 10 2004, 11:19 PM

I haven't learned much about sleeping.  I'm a few years from a doctrate, and make no claim to be an expert on sleep; it's not my area of interest.  I was confused in your first post as to what an 'axom' is, and that's why I made the comment.

I'd be impressed if you could adequately cover repression in four pages, by the way.  Some of what you said was on point, but the term "cholinergic" is fairly vague in regards to neurotransmitters, I'd be interested to hear more specifically which you believe are more involved in dreaming.

Ah, "axom" the definition is this: a typo. That's my fault entirely. It should be obvious alongside dendrite that I meant "axon", as they go hand-in-hand. For those that don't know, dendrites are the main way by which neurons get information (learn); and axons are the main way by which neurons pass on information to (teach) to other neurons. Each nerve cell has one axon and as many as 100,000 dendrites.

[/b]

I am fully aware of what an axon is, and yes, it was quite easy to pair it with dendrite; I was just being facetious. Apparently my sarcasm is lost in text. :(

so last night i dreamed i was in a room with these lesbians and they were making out and then one opens her mouth, and has a bowel movement, except through here mouth. it slowly slid out of her mouth and then the other one caught it in her mouth. then i woke up, and you know how sometimes you dont remember your dream right away? well then i ate a chocolate protein bar and started to remember what i was dreaming about. then i went back to sleep and i dreamed i worked at mervyns and this fat black girl was sucking my dick in the bathroom but the manager came in and told me to clean up some candy someone threw on ground. when i went to clean it up some mexican kids came and started eating it off the ground, but i managed to pick some up. i threw it in the garbage can but it was one of the wire frame garbage cans and it just fell through the holes and went on the ground. then i just walked away and i woke up.

the real truth about dreaming:

"The brain creates dreams through random electrical activity. Random is the key word here. About every 90 minutes the brain stem sends electrical impulses throughout the brain, in no particular order or fashion. The analytic portion of the brain -- the forebrain -- then desperately tries to make sense of these signals. It is like looking at a Rorschach test, a random splash of ink on paper. The only way of comprehending it is by viewing the dream (or the inkblot) metaphorically, symbolically, since there's no literal message.

This doesn't mean that dreams are meaningless or should be ignored. How our forebrains choose to "analyze" the random and discontinuous images may tell us something about ourselves, just as what we see in an inkblot can be revelatory. And perhaps there is a purpose to the craziness: Our minds may be working on deep-seated problems through these circuitous and less threatening metaphorical dreams."