double stackers and extinction of boxcars-

Malice

Maybe it's just where I live, but I've noticed instead of seeing lines of boxcars I now see lines and lines of double stackers.

I don't like double stackers.

Does anyone else see this in their area? I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed it or thought about it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

your probably just watching more trains now. then again maybe companies in your area using boxcars have gone out of business. this has been discussed before but i cant see boxcars becoming extinct (well not any time soon) because they are still building new ones. if the rr foresaw the extinction of the boxcar they wouldnt be paying for new ones. besided box cars arent the only type of bulk fr8 car out there.

We have at least 3 full yards of double stackers. I never took into consideration the fact that they unload alot of the big ass freight ships in this area so that's probably why I see so many. I don't know why it never occured to me.

Good point Zed- I guess I do see alot of new boxcars I just don't really think about it.

what i fucking hate to see is the dttx 45! it seems like they are replacing the old 48' by 45' now..that you obviously cant hop. One day i spent 11h on the mainline waiting for one single 48' its crazy..i wonder what the hell is happening with the 48' i mean..flat intermodals sometimes have graff on, then the ridged 48' is the best ride you can get out of town..but ridged 45' have definitly no purpose that I've found so far.:tongue:

Rolling stock design is driven solely by the market

It would not matter to the railroads if they got rid of every single boxcar, the only thing that really drives railroad rolling stock design is the requirements of the market and current technology. A good example is the "trailer-train"--OTR truck-trailers with railroad wheels underneath.

The TTX 45's probably will replace the TTX 48's eventually, just as the TTX 53's have replaced a lot of the 48's. But that doesn't mean that the 45's are impossible to hop. It means that trainhoppers will have to learn new ways of doing things, new ways to ride trains. We were talking up at Britt about this very thing, and one guy said he was considering trying new ideas, camouflaging himself inside a cardboard box, riding on spine cars suspended in a deep, strong climbing hammock, carrying lightweight chains, mountaineering carabiners, nylon web straps, etc., gear similar to that used by mountain climbers to sleep on the side of a sheer face, suspended in hammocks, in order to ride cars everybody considers "unrideable." I think this could be done safely, but think about the consequences if you miscalculate--very similar to fucking up while rock climbing without ropes. If you were riding a spine car suspended in a hammock and a hammock chain parted, you'd go straight into the tracks---adios, Unfortunate Person.

I had considered something similar, but all that "gearing up" not only is expensive, but it also contradicts my own personal philosophy of "making do" with gear from military surplus stores, hardware stores, and stuff that is dumpster-dived. It may get to the point someday where trainhoppers wear a sort of Mad Max type gear, similar to modern combat equipment, knee pads, elbow pads, helmets, gloves, safety harnesses for rigging carabiners, radio scanners and so on, but I kind of doubt it. I think that trainhoppers will continue to ride trains for years to come without too many changes. Probably the one thing that would kill it completely is long prison sentences for trainhopping. It's too easy to hitchhike; or bicycle; or buy an old van or truck; or buy a older motorcycle or something like that to get around the country in. Risking a long stretch in the can just for hopping makes no sense.

If you have some of these newer minimal cars sitting around on lay-ups near you, you might consider going over there with a measuring tape and visualizing what would be necessary to do some sort of Mission Impossible deal to make riding possible--the gear would have to be lightweight, easily packable, and quick to deploy. Think "international jewel thief cat burglar." No muss, no fuss--just click a couple of stainless steel carabiners and cables to already-existing anchor points on the spine car, hop in the hammock, secure the safety strap and snap the Jesus hook to something (so in case the hammock fails, you don't go straight into the ballast) and wait for the bell. It could be done--it's just that the average trainhopper doesn't have the skill or the patience for something like this. The average trainhopper's gear list includes little more than a blanket, a water jug and a bottle of White Port.

i dont think its a skill question..more of a time question. when the train stops for a 2 min, do you really have the time to take out your hamock and rope from your bag, try to tie it up in some way to each side of the car, then get your bag with you in the hamock, before it leaves and hope everything is gonna stay in place..??you're definitly risking big.. i'd rather wait another 2 hours to get a ridged 48, or wait at night and get an engine. :confused:

Originally posted by ghostvandal

what i fucking hate to see is the dttx 45! it seems like they are replacing the old 48' by 45' now..that you obviously cant hop. One day i spent 11h on the mainline waiting for one single 48' its crazy..i wonder what the hell is happening with the 48' i mean..flat intermodals sometimes have graff on, then the ridged 48' is the best ride you can get out of town..but ridged 45' have definitly no purpose that I've found so far.:tongue:

11hrs..try about 3 days. shit drove us crazy.

if boxcars were gone i wouldnt cry. i like to paint anything that rolls. intermodals are actually pretty nice to paint on.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived