does handstyles matter? quality or quantity?

scratcheater

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest blood as ink

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one wants to see some ugly ass tag hundreds of times a day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you mean like kerse or something?...that's some ugly shit that i see everywhere. he has a ton of ups but ugly as sin.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Although i agree,

I dont really care cause graffiti is also an aggregation.

I really am happy when i see a door filled with tags no matter the quality.There are different angles in seeing what we do, being an artist is one, being a vandal is another, both respected but vandalising is maybe the most strong characteristic of what we do.

So on a non personal level i'd say that quantity makes the difference on deciding where there is a scene or not. I f you're lucky enough to find quality thats good but it comes second in a way.

as far as names and styles originality, i dont see a problem, people seem to manage just fine.

------------------------------------

combinations are always better

Guest Handjob

Here on the West Coast, quality seems to be taking a back seat to quantity. Right now we have this guy living here, that writes Flare HLK.BTM. He's pretty up downtown, but most of his stuff makes me and the rest of the city wanna puke. Not only is he doing this, but he seems to be spawning some sort of "toy army", in which NO ONE cares about what their shit looks like, just as long as it says their name on a wall.

Personally, I think its the wrong direction. Don't get me wrong, I do like whole raw, grimey, ugly graffiti movement, but some kids don't seem to know where the line between style and uselessness is...

whatever, as long as they stay outta the yards, I'm fine...

I guess I should throw in that I'm really only talking about Flare's throws. I actually like his handstyles...

Guest crackfiend

Are you kids on drugs or some shit. When did being a vandal require schooling in the arts. Its about being pissed off and fucking shits up. Not about oohhh loook this is how saber does it its soo pretty.

If your going to destroy something then terar it up. If your going to do legals then dont call it graff call yourself a mural artist. I hate those people always painting landscapes and pictures of wild life like their some sort of bob ross.

anyway fuck yall

Guest Handjob
Originally posted by crackfiend

Are you kids on drugs or some shit. When did being a vandal require schooling in the arts. Its about being pissed off and fucking shits up. Not about oohhh loook this is how saber does it its soo pretty.

If your going to destroy something then terar it up. If your going to do legals then dont call it graff call yourself a mural artist. I hate those people always painting landscapes and pictures of wild life like their some sort of bob ross.

anyway fuck yall

you're pretty angry, hey? Just remember to breathe deeply, and count backwards from 10...;)

Guest KING OF HELL

anyway fuck yall

why are you kids always on some black and white shit. who said anything about pretty or art shool? we said style. since when did that mean pretty or that style meant you needed to go to art school?

JA has style. a fresh style. he has a handstyle and knows how to wrek shit. same with SKUFF.

all dude is trying to say is that theres no need to be ok with being a toy. even if your main goal is getting up, style is a good thing. having your own style is fresh. just being one of those kids who writes so you can say your part of some rough tough subculture is pointless.

you can be the ruff grimey kind, but that denotes a style. the absence of style is just plain useless.

PHASE2 might have some choice words to say about not having any style. you should read his book.

Guest Handjob
Originally posted by Smart

OBVIOUSLY the name of the game is STYLE!

an ugly etch is better on a window than simply tossing a brick, but an etch with class and flair is hands down the winner... crackfiend seems to exemplify his name, kookaholic

Just to clear this up, when you say Flair, are you talking about Flair BTM?

anyway fuck yall

blah blah blah toy toy toy. i hate kids like this...nothing but nasty scribbles and a bomb once in the blue moon. you are the guys that make the scene hot.

Guest Handjob
Originally posted by Smart

no, strictly flair as it relates to style... The King of Hell has my voice, I am merely another of his demonic acolytes, please refer to his post as the bottom line of what I was saying

Phew! I thought you were saying that Flare was good at something...:D

Originally posted by dai

blah blah blah toy toy toy. i hate kids like this...nothing but nasty scribbles and a bomb once in the blue moon. you are the guys that make the scene hot.

But we made this scene. It was all about tagging back in the beginning with a few throws.

I think I have to agree somewhat with what crackfiend was saying. Out here in the streets growing up we all wrote to write. Sure some us were going to grow up and be art majors if we ever made it to college. But nowadays especially on here many of the kids to strictly legals or low pro areas such as riverbeds etc. Many have never been street bombing with a can. I dont think people that do strictly legal walls should be considered graffiti.

Graffiti is a CRIME lets KEEP it that way.

i try to fit the style of what i'm doing to the environment. like i'm not gonna try to get overly stylistic with a scratch tag, or if i'm out with a shoe polish bottle i try to do something that will look cool when it drips. i think there has to be some kind of awareness as to when it's time to get all artsy with the handstyle and when to keep it dirty.

Originally posted by blood as ink

quote:

No one wants to see some ugly ass tag hundreds of times a day.

you mean like kerse or something?...that's some ugly shit that i see everywhere. he has a ton of ups but ugly as sin.

i dont think kers style is ugly at all. i think its unique, and gritty as hell. thats exactly what i like to see. to each his own.

Guest Funk~That

the more up the better in my opinion! i mean cap said it best when he said its better to have a throw on every car then jus a peice every ten! well he said summin along those lines i aint gonna grab my movie and look it up to lazy!

hopefully by tag #100 it looks better than tag #1. you can choose to be remembered as most up with an ugly ass style or be remembered as a quality writer with some style. vandal aesthetic vs artistic aesthetic to each is own. i personally will remember that one dope tag where the ugliness just seems to blend in. ups or not, its whats going to seperate you from the rest.

quality comes with putting your shit everywhere....you cant get a sick handstyle from sketching a few tags on the corner of your english assignment, you gotta get out there and do it whether you suck or not....within reason of course....if your ever going to be any good it'll all come the more shit you get up outside..if you dont get any better give up so i dont have to look at it..of course sketching dosent hurt either....

...this coming form a guy that hates to see the same weak ass tag a hundred times on his way to school....if you suck to much stick to the paper...

Archived