Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

does handstyles matter? quality or quantity?

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by scratcheater, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scratcheater

scratcheater New Jack

everyone seem to stress handstyles.... is that more important then getting up? nowadays everyone seem to bite off everyone...are we still original?names overused and abused...stick to what you start with and start FARTING! then again .... quality or quantity?

2. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Most definitely style is needed. All too often people concentrate too much on "getting up" without placing any emphasis on styles. No one wants to see some ugly ass tag hundreds of times a day.

3. tmf0

tmf0 New Jack

says it all..

4. scratcheater

scratcheater New Jack

true that! but you see kids these days arent gamed and all they do is bite ... its weird seeing the same thing in another person's style nah mean?

5. blood as ink

blood as ink Guest

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No one wants to see some ugly ass tag hundreds of times a day.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you mean like kerse or something?...that's some ugly shit that i see everywhere. he has a ton of ups but ugly as sin.

6. Although i agree,
    I dont really care cause graffiti is also an aggregation.
    I really am happy when i see a door filled with tags no matter the quality.There are different angles in seeing what we do, being an artist is one, being a vandal is another, both respected but vandalising is maybe the most strong characteristic of what we do.
    So on a non personal level i'd say that quantity makes the difference on deciding where there is a scene or not. I f you're lucky enough to find quality thats good but it comes second in a way.
    as far as names and styles originality, i dont see a problem, people seem to manage just fine.

------------------------------------
    combinations are always better

7. Handjob

Handjob Guest

Here on the West Coast, quality seems to be taking a back seat to quantity. Right now we have this guy living here, that writes Flare HLK.BTM. He's pretty up downtown, but most of his stuff makes me and the rest of the city wanna puke. Not only is he doing this, but he seems to be spawning some sort of "toy army", in which NO ONE cares about what their shit looks like, just as long as it says their name on a wall.

Personally, I think its the wrong direction. Don't get me wrong, I do like whole raw, grimey, ugly graffiti movement, but some kids don't seem to know where the line between style and uselessness is...

whatever, as long as they stay outta the yards, I'm fine...

I guess I should throw in that I'm really only talking about Flare's throws. I actually like his handstyles...

8. cdz

cdz Member

quality and quanity both matter. get it right. not one over the other.
    -cdz $0.02

9. Handjob

Handjob Guest

agreed

10. crackfiend

crackfiend Guest

Are you kids on drugs or some shit. When did being a vandal require schooling in the arts. Its about being pissed off and fucking shits up. Not about oohhh loook this is how saber does it its soo pretty.
    If your going to destroy something then terar it up. If your going to do legals then dont call it graff call yourself a mural artist. I hate those people always painting landscapes and pictures of wild life like their some sort of bob ross.
    anyway fuck yall

11. Handjob

Handjob Guest

you're pretty angry, hey? Just remember to breathe deeply, and count backwards from 10...;)

12. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

OBVIOUSLY the name of the game is STYLE!

an ugly etch is better on a window than simply tossing a brick, but an etch with class and flair is hands down the winner... crackfiend seems to exemplify his name, kookaholic

13. KING OF HELL

KING OF HELL Guest

why are you kids always on some black and white shit. who said anything about pretty or art shool? we said style. since when did that mean pretty or that style meant you needed to go to art school?

JA has style. a fresh style. he has a handstyle and knows how to wrek shit. same with SKUFF.
    all dude is trying to say is that theres no need to be ok with being a toy. even if your main goal is getting up, style is a good thing. having your own style is fresh. just being one of those kids who writes so you can say your part of some rough tough subculture is pointless.
    you can be the ruff grimey kind, but that denotes a style. the absence of style is just plain useless.

PHASE2 might have some choice words to say about not having any style. you should read his book.

14. Handjob

Handjob Guest

Just to clear this up, when you say Flair, are you talking about Flair BTM?

15. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

no, strictly flair as it relates to style... The King of Hell has my voice, I am merely another of his demonic acolytes, please refer to his post as the bottom line of what I was saying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.