Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

does anyone else have a hardtime taking these 'hardcore' bands seriously?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by seeking, Mar 20, 2002.

1. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

im driving today, listening to 'hopesfall' and i start thinking to myself, what the hell is the point of screaming like that? its not natural, its not 'cool' and truth be told, its too physicaly taxing to even be conducive to mntaining an angry posture. think about it, it takes alot of energy to scream like an 8 foot tall orge/elf/thing. plus, like, its just dumb. scraming is ok on occasion, but to spend 4 minutes howling like your auditioning for the lead roll in hell, is just silly. especially if your screaming about a girl. it'll just make you look pathetic. its to dramatic and over-powering. kittie is a perfect example of dumb screaming nonsense. yo, your a girl, sing like a fucking girl.
    so then im listening to poison the well, and im thinking, they're not bad, but yo, how can you take someone seriously, when they're just trying soooo damn hard to sound like a scrapped wes craven film. then i realized it wasnt poison the well, it was starkweather. so i guess maybe poison the well is ok.

i mean, i like this stuff alot. hopesfall is one of my favorite bands right now. i just wish they spend a bit less time trying to sound evil, and a little more time making heavy, angry melodies.

but thats just me.

2. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

All bands try to get a point across. Some do it better than others I guess.

3. beardo

beardo Guest

my only beef with hardcore/emo/screamo/all that stuff is that out of 3000 bands you get 3000 good songs. youd figure if they were worth their weight in black hooded sweatshirts with flames on the sleeves theyd have a better batting avg.

4. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

well beard, you gotta remember that out of those 3000 bands, there areactually only 150 musicians, they just keep breaking up or forming side projects with one another, so the ratio of musicians to good songs is higher that it might appear on the surface.

5. oooo

oooo New Jack

i think every member in a hardcore band has to be in a min. of two other hardcore bands, here in florida, there is like 12 of the same bands but with a diufferent bass player or something

6. Big Bruno

Big Bruno Senior Member

would one of you two(seeking or beardo) please define emo to me becuase i live in the great state of tx right now and there is nothing emo here and im moving to denver next month, which i know there is alot of it up there, i just dont wanna be ignorant anymore...

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

have you ever been sitting around on a saturday night, sipping a beer, listening to the local college radio station during like 'rap hour' or 'metal hour' or something, and your thinking to yourself, 'damn man, i need to find a girl an get fucking laid' then all of a sudden its 5 after 9, theres some song on youve never heard and its making you want to go find a girl and cry on her shoulder while you wear clothes too small for you, and cut your hair into a terribly bad bob, after dying it with shoe polish?

that song you heard was 'emo.'

8. chaos is me

chaos is me New Jack

i love hardcore music, hands down, but that "worth their weight in black hooded sweatshirts.." was one of the funniest thing i've ever heard.

9. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

Allright, I'm sorry but your first post Seeking was a load of crap.

I agree that for the most part hardcore bands are trying to sound evil, and it just doesn't work. But there is a decent amount that sound really good. The thing you have to understand is(and probably allready do), it is natural. That's the way the song is supposed to be sung. Emo kids whine like that because thats how the song is meant to be sung. Screaming might be strenuous on the throat, but if thats your style of singing, then there is no way around it.

"it'll just make you look pathetic." If a band is worried about how their music makes them look, then I don't really want to listen to them in the first place.

10. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

dude... that is, like, soooooo sexist... :drool: oh no, i crapped my pants...

for real tho, i like the screaming... most of the time... hearing people sing about the happy little trees and love songs and shit, and screaming at the same time, now that's a little rediculous... but the angry/depressed stuff i listen to, that calls for a little good old fashioned screaming...

11. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

dude, dont take everything so literally. the generalization was more for comedic value, than acurate portrayel. but, i still think there was a bit of merrit in it. i mean, its no more 'real' than a rapper talking about his 'ice' and stuff like that. its an 'image' you want to project. they want to project an image of anger, frustration, blah blah. just as emo kids want to project an image of being all soft and cuddly or some shit. my point, is that if you have to try that hard, its just a little much for my liking. and my use of the word 'pathetic' was to denote that if your talking about some girl that did you wrong, to put that much anger into something just makes you look like a sucker. just as every dashboard confessionals song ever written does. dude, get over it.

i know this is all just my opinion, and its more for laughs than anything, but i mean come on, listen to starkweather, listen to the dude screaming, imagine him standing in your room doinmg it, and tell me it doesnt seem a little bit silly.

seeking/how can i be dissing it, when its all i listen to lately?

12. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

before anyone else tells me im so 'wrong' go download "hushabye and goodnight" by starkweather (a band i like alot) and tell me its not just ridiculous.

i rest my case

13. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

ha right on. I get what your saying.

But it all depends ont he atmosphere. It just helps make the emotion that goes into the music more evident. I'm not really into hardcore, but I saw Converge perform Jane Doe and it pretty much blew away every other show or live performance I'd ever seen. If you can put out that much emotion in a show without getting as into it as that, right on. whatever.

me/get off the 'lets knock dashboard bandwagon', it's getting old

14. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

it's all a bit silly... i'm more entertained by the thought of the other guys in the band standing in front of a mirror at home with their instruments, trying out different poses and faces to see which makes them look the toughest...

15. -sudz-

-sudz- Guest

what happened to the innosence part of your name man?