does anyone else have a hardtime taking these 'hardcore' bands seriously?

seeking

im driving today, listening to 'hopesfall' and i start thinking to myself, what the hell is the point of screaming like that? its not natural, its not 'cool' and truth be told, its too physicaly taxing to even be conducive to mntaining an angry posture. think about it, it takes alot of energy to scream like an 8 foot tall orge/elf/thing. plus, like, its just dumb. scraming is ok on occasion, but to spend 4 minutes howling like your auditioning for the lead roll in hell, is just silly. especially if your screaming about a girl. it'll just make you look pathetic. its to dramatic and over-powering. kittie is a perfect example of dumb screaming nonsense. yo, your a girl, sing like a fucking girl.

so then im listening to poison the well, and im thinking, they're not bad, but yo, how can you take someone seriously, when they're just trying soooo damn hard to sound like a scrapped wes craven film. then i realized it wasnt poison the well, it was starkweather. so i guess maybe poison the well is ok.

i mean, i like this stuff alot. hopesfall is one of my favorite bands right now. i just wish they spend a bit less time trying to sound evil, and a little more time making heavy, angry melodies.

but thats just me.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest beardo

my only beef with hardcore/emo/screamo/all that stuff is that out of 3000 bands you get 3000 good songs. youd figure if they were worth their weight in black hooded sweatshirts with flames on the sleeves theyd have a better batting avg.

well beard, you gotta remember that out of those 3000 bands, there areactually only 150 musicians, they just keep breaking up or forming side projects with one another, so the ratio of musicians to good songs is higher that it might appear on the surface.

would one of you two(seeking or beardo) please define emo to me becuase i live in the great state of tx right now and there is nothing emo here and im moving to denver next month, which i know there is alot of it up there, i just dont wanna be ignorant anymore...

have you ever been sitting around on a saturday night, sipping a beer, listening to the local college radio station during like 'rap hour' or 'metal hour' or something, and your thinking to yourself, 'damn man, i need to find a girl an get fucking laid' then all of a sudden its 5 after 9, theres some song on youve never heard and its making you want to go find a girl and cry on her shoulder while you wear clothes too small for you, and cut your hair into a terribly bad bob, after dying it with shoe polish?

that song you heard was 'emo.'

Originally posted by beardo

my only beef with hardcore/emo/screamo/all that stuff is that out of 3000 bands you get 3000 good songs. youd figure if they were worth their weight in black hooded sweatshirts with flames on the sleeves theyd have a better batting avg.

i love hardcore music, hands down, but that "worth their weight in black hooded sweatshirts.." was one of the funniest thing i've ever heard.

Allright, I'm sorry but your first post Seeking was a load of crap.

I agree that for the most part hardcore bands are trying to sound evil, and it just doesn't work. But there is a decent amount that sound really good. The thing you have to understand is(and probably allready do), it is natural. That's the way the song is supposed to be sung. Emo kids whine like that because thats how the song is meant to be sung. Screaming might be strenuous on the throat, but if thats your style of singing, then there is no way around it.

"it'll just make you look pathetic." If a band is worried about how their music makes them look, then I don't really want to listen to them in the first place.

Originally posted by seeking

kittie is a perfect example of dumb screaming nonsense. yo, your a girl, sing like a fucking girl.

dude... that is, like, soooooo sexist... :drool: oh no, i crapped my pants...

for real tho, i like the screaming... most of the time... hearing people sing about the happy little trees and love songs and shit, and screaming at the same time, now that's a little rediculous... but the angry/depressed stuff i listen to, that calls for a little good old fashioned screaming...

dude, dont take everything so literally. the generalization was more for comedic value, than acurate portrayel. but, i still think there was a bit of merrit in it. i mean, its no more 'real' than a rapper talking about his 'ice' and stuff like that. its an 'image' you want to project. they want to project an image of anger, frustration, blah blah. just as emo kids want to project an image of being all soft and cuddly or some shit. my point, is that if you have to try that hard, its just a little much for my liking. and my use of the word 'pathetic' was to denote that if your talking about some girl that did you wrong, to put that much anger into something just makes you look like a sucker. just as every dashboard confessionals song ever written does. dude, get over it.

i know this is all just my opinion, and its more for laughs than anything, but i mean come on, listen to starkweather, listen to the dude screaming, imagine him standing in your room doinmg it, and tell me it doesnt seem a little bit silly.

seeking/how can i be dissing it, when its all i listen to lately?

ha right on. I get what your saying.

But it all depends ont he atmosphere. It just helps make the emotion that goes into the music more evident. I'm not really into hardcore, but I saw Converge perform Jane Doe and it pretty much blew away every other show or live performance I'd ever seen. If you can put out that much emotion in a show without getting as into it as that, right on. whatever.

me/get off the 'lets knock dashboard bandwagon', it's getting old

cipher, i totally agree. but there is a point where too much is just too much ya know. its the difference between metallica and spinal tap.

speaking of live groups screaming, i get to see hopesfall in two weeks, and i wont front, ive been looking forward to it for months. i havent been this excited about a show since.... well, since i saw clutch peform in a small bar last month. but still. anger is a gift.

seeking/to be honest, ive never heard dbc, i just like to make fun of the same stuff everyone else does.

so wait, you think that all of the screaming rennie does is pointless? I personally one of the things that makes starkweather stand out is how nasty he can get with his low growls and then instantly turn around and have an almost feminine singing voice. If you saw them live you wouldnt even be having this conversation.

Oh yeah, and I think that band hopesfall is overrated, and them and poison the well shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as starkweather. juuuuuust my opinion.

ps. My mom has said pretty much the same thing before.

well hopesfall, poison the well, and starkweather are all a joke. shit smells of limp bizkit. yes, people trying to mix different styles of music, yet somehow not capturing the good aspects of either style.

trying to mix different types of music? why, cause its hard, then has mellow breakdowns? i wouldnt call that mixing styles, i would call that mimicking life. if they did nothing but scream the whole time, id get bored just as quickly as if they just sang all pretty.

and if hopesfall is the 'fake' version of another band, i think i like the hopesfall version better

Guest serpent of the light

i love singing hardcore, as far as i'm concerned its just channelling my anger moreso into my words. all my lyrics are angry anyways, and i'm not wailing on the bass or guitar or whatever, so screaming really lets that shit out for me.

but yeah, it is really fucking silly.

Guest serpent of the light

i dono, thats fun too. some kids from my crew went to dimmu borgir last night, and they were saying that between sets random people from the crowd would just start growling seeing who's was most metal or something, i find that rather awesome and dumb at the same time. metal is odd like that though. no matter how stupid ManOwaR truly is, they will never ever ever get old.

see, if they were doing it as somewhat of a joke, then thats super funny. if they were really competing, like an emcee battle or something, to see who could growl the lowest decibles, then im sorry, but thats just silly.

go download some '7000 dying rats' growling devil music with a beautiful sennse of humor

trying to mix different types of music? why, cause its hard, then has mellow breakdowns? i wouldnt call that mixing styles, i would call that mimicking life. if they did nothing but scream the whole time, id get bored just as quickly as if they just sang all pretty.

and if hopesfall is the 'fake' version of another band, i think i like the hopesfall version better

1. i'm too old to argue about hardcore

2. i feel silly everytime i argue on the internet.

with that, i'll just let you know where i'm coming from:

i was very active in hardcore during most of the nineties. i was one of those guys that played in five bands at once. a whole scene was built on kids putting out their own records. we worked shit jobs just to afford pressing two songs on a split 7". everyone made the covers of the records with screen printing. there was never distribution to stores, we had to order records through the mail, or buy it at the bands show, which was usually just a basement of a house where 10 hardcore kids lived. meanwhile victory records is pressing vinyl, CDs, cassettes of sub-standard macho-jock hardcore/metal, the bands get good distribution and big publicity. now these macho-jock fuckers are using the sound that was created by the DIY kids years before, and victory is selling it. nobody has any idea of the scene that the music originated from since it was self funded and all those records are out of print.

hardcore is the one genre of music i know backwards and forward, just trust me when i say that poison the well and hopesfall are doing a bad mix. hopesfall's guitar riffs are a straight rip off of Tonie Joy's style. and lyrically, i don't get how you can be screaming about the stuff they're screaming about. when i got Struggles first 7" i was moved when he was screaming "welcome to america you have the right to be beaten, but not the right to torch the flag".

really dude, i know a thing or two about hip hop, but i can tell you know more than me, so i wouldn't question your opinion on the matter. so just trust me on the hardcore thing.

not arguing, just explaining why i feel the way i do

Guest willy.wonka

i ve heard this complaint and agree

i hate it when they come in sounding all hardcore,then they start singing like little/whining babies on the mic."

im not against yelling, im against people trying to scream like they were in a 'who can sound most like the dark lord' contest...

Well, then I guess it comes down to the style of music, or lack there of(two words?), which makes sense.

Allright, good conversation.bye

-the dark lord/he aint that bad, just gets annoying after a while. depends on the song.

have you ever been sitting around on a saturday night, sipping a beer, listening to the local college radio station during like 'rap hour' or 'metal hour' or something, and your thinking to yourself, 'damn man, i need to find a girl an get fucking laid' then all of a sudden its 5 after 9, theres some song on youve never heard and its making you want to go find a girl and cry on her shoulder while you wear clothes too small for you, and cut your hair into a terribly bad bob, after dying it with shoe polish?

that song you heard was 'emo.'

well i have girl(all be it shes 800 miles away right now) and no song has ever made me want to cut my hair into a terribly bad anything. i downloaded starkweather/hushabye and goodnight and at first its alright, kinda on the cradle of filth tip, but when he starts singing its all over. maybe some of the other bands you have mentioned are a little better.

...why it's sometimes good to throw in some

pungent stench

meatshits

and anal cunt

they'll make you forget about 'serious' music

Archived