do intellectuals annoy you?

lord_casek

are you annoyed by intellectuals?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha. no doubt.

fuck 'em.

what made me make this thread was this:

i was over at my neighbors house not long ago,

and they were eating some arugula dessert.

i asked what it was and they said 'arugula'.

i said, 'oh yeah? is it made with the whole plant

or what?" the reply from neighbor wife "actually, it's

a dessert" me, "no, it's a plant" me again, "no, really, arugula is a plant,

i think it's a tuber"

they got these kind of sneers on their faces. like i had just farted

on their dog. i could tell they were annoyed.

several similar situations i've encountered in life bring me to

the conclusion that being smart is looked down upon. to them,

i was being a "smart ass" or something of that sort. why?

You should have farted on the dog. That way their looks were justified.

I haven't figured out some people, so my opinion on this shit is shortsided but when they said when you ask what the dessert was made out of and their answer is "its a dessert," that's your que to drop the question since that was their way of saying "I haven't got a fucking clue".

Pseudo Intellectual: Someone who's been 'dealt a bad hand by life' and demands the love and respect his/her brain deserves by barking said intellectualism in an uncharismatic, socially unacceptable manner.

I've been there. It happens when you're stressing the fuck out. Just gave up and life's been good.

But yeah pseudo intellectuals are just as bad as overweight chicks who proudly display their clevage.

. to them,

i was being a "smart ass" or something of that sort. why?

i had this problem a LOT in school. and often elsewhere. so many times in school i asked sincere questions only to have arsehole teachers assume im being a smart arse and attempt to dish out some punishment. i fucking hated school for this reason more than any other. so many teachers are sons of bitches. male or female.

i had this problem a LOT in school. and often elsewhere. so many times in school i asked sincere questions only to have arsehole teachers assume im being a smart arse and attempt to dish out some punishment. i fucking hated school for this reason more than any other. so many teachers are sons of bitches. male or female.

when i was in 5th grade, the science teacher was talking about earthquakes and volcanos.

i raised my hand, was called on to speak, and proceeded to inform her that earthquakes and volcano's were caused by techtonic plates in the earth and pressures that welled up in them.

she had no idea what i was talking about. one kid, this guy who was in advanced whatever

knew what i was talking about. the teacher adn the rest of the class were lost.

talk about a weird feeling. i'm not surprised at all i still remember this.

keep in mind i grew up in the south east.

soup: i had friends that used big words unnecessarily in highschool. trying their best to make themselves seem smarter than they were. funny thing is, one of them was actually a smart guy. just not smart enough to realize that he didn't need to throw big words around.

when i was in 5th grade, the science teacher was talking about earthquakes and volcanos.

i raised my hand, was called on to speak, and proceeded to inform her that earthquakes and volcano's were caused by techtonic plates in the earth and pressures that welled up in them.

she had no idea what i was talking about. one kid, this guy who was in advanced whatever

knew what i was talking about. the teacher adn the rest of the class were lost.

talk about a weird feeling. i'm not surprised at all i still remember this.

keep in mind i grew up in the south east.

soup: i had friends that used big words unnecessarily in highschool. trying their best to make themselves seem smarter than they were. funny thing is, one of them was actually a smart guy. just not smart enough to realize that he didn't need to throw big words around.

This story reminds me of a time in primary school when some egyptian fool tried to tell me that the pyramids had 3 sides. I insisted they had 4 sides.

His argument was that his family are from egypt so he would know. SUCKER!

Guest R@ndomH3ro

I go to a "Tech" school and I really hate when computer nerds get together and talk about each others hard drives and shit. Like its a penis mesuring contests. That really annoys me, like who cares that you got a 100G hard Drive and your running the latest Nivida graphics card.

when you ask what the dessert was made out of and their answer is "its a dessert," that's your que to drop the question since that was their way of saying "I haven't got a fucking clue".

Exactly. Was it really necessary to correct them?

My friend's girlfriend does that all the time. After anything anyone says, she's always the one going "Well, actually... blah blah blah" ... and everyone hates her because of it. Not because she's smart, but because she constantly feels the need to prove it.

If you know it's a plant, and they don't (and they don't ask you what it is)... then just leave it alone.

lance: yeah, word. i wasn't saying it to correct them in an obnoxious manner. i used to have this horrible habit of correcting peoples english. it was ridiculous. i got over it. you know the thought did come across my mind of going back to my house and google image searching arugla, printing out a picture and going back to their house holding it in front of their faces and yelling "it's a fucking plant!" but that's just because i'm an asshole in my head. got the whole devil/angel thing going on like "hermans head."

1388-5025.jpg

sneakandcreep: when i was a full time writer, i would talk to my writer friends about

painting and such like that. many clique's do that.

Casek, you sound like you're stressin out/have a hard time relaxing/have a hard time getting comfortable around people.

Take some R&R and let people be stupid, bro.

I'd avise smoking a joint because that's what everybody else does in your situation, but it's not a permanent solution.

haha, very perceptive grasshopper.

i've been on a several day stint of

"up all night coding a webpage"

also brainstorming for new web design

ideas for a company site.

hey! i made a wiki!

smoking a joint is out of the question at the

moment. i need to be clear for the rest of this crap.

you guys know that i get to sleep at around noon

every day this past week (7 days. not just this week)?

i get maybe 4-5 hours of sleep, then back at it again.

Nobody likes a know-it-all.

It's fine being smart and all, but it's a matter of common sense to know when to demonstrate it or not. That arugula thing is a perfect example of being a know-it-all rather than smart.

mammero: remember one thing, i didn't tell the whole story. the jist of it was all i gave you guys to go on. there were some things said to make me bust out and correct them.

edit: that is what this post is about though. why do people not like a "know-it-all"? what is your definition of a "know-it-all"? someone who is smart and obnoxious about it? someone who isn't smart and still obnoxious with the pseudo-intellect? define it, please.

Well, if you didn't give the whole story, how do you expect us to react accurately to it? From what you posted, you pointed out some detail (fine enough), but then after receiving some resistance, you keep at it, bringing up specifics like "it's a tuber". What's next, you're gonna pull up the species name and geographic location of primary farming grounds? Saying "I'm pretty sure it's a plant" is enough, leave it at that. C'mon, fucking arugula? Is it really worth arguing about what arugula is?

I'll repeat:

it's a matter of common sense to know when to demonstrate it or not

There's no clear-cut definition of when it's appropiate. Some people will find your corrections obnoxious, others won't. It's up to you to know how to handle the situation according to the people you're with. Most "know-it-alls" don't have a good grasp of this sense.

Which is why they go into IT.