dj's/producer's: i gotta question

inkblots

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah unless you got some fetish for hardware, go soft. hardware is gonna be phased out shortly enough anyhow (except for the few exceptions).

suggestions:

-Reason - Multitrack multimachine monster - no vst plugins

-Fruityloops Pro - same as above - uses vst plugins

-Cubase - same as above - uses vst plugins - VERY HARD TO LEARN (at first, but well worth it after the curve)

-Wavelab - sound editor all in one

-t-racks - "instant" mastering

-sony sound forge 7 - sound editor

those are just a couple more widely used progs. the descriptions i gave are not near accurate for what they actually do. just do some googling and figure it out.

I don't know about those reviews above mine

but it sounds like you don't have the first clue

about these machines. Good luck figuring out

reason off the bat. Coming up with good beats

on one little piece of hardware like that is not

going to happen.

Download fruity loops or something and play

with that for a few months. Go to school for

audio engineering and figure out how to work

midi and pro-tools environments. Then try to

get into stuff like Reason, Sonar, Project 5,

Sound Forge and all those. Acid is a good starter

program for getting used to mixing down tracks...

You've got years ahead of you, bub.

use a computer for just drums if thats what youre doing. Ive been making beats for a while, I use reason and a midi controller like my friend just said. it works fine. if youre gonna get hardware, just save your money and get any version of an mpc. they can do anything.

Guest sneak

Roland is always a good brand if you want to hold a piece of hardware, but like everyones said.. cubase, fruitloops and reason are probably your best option.

Originally posted by Spike

If the SP 303 is good enough for Madlib... it's good enough for you.

Bwah.. that thing's just a sequencer, a

maelstrom and a drum machine on Reason...

that you can run through various replicas or

effects. Like everyone else said, when you've

got a midi controller the fun begins.

I'm interested in Cakewalk Project 5.

http://www.windowatch.com/2003/images/naef/cakewalk9_6_3.gif'>

http://www.windowatch.com/2003/images/naef/cakewalk9_6_4.gif'>

http://www.windowatch.com/2003/images/naef/cakewalk9_6_5.gif'>

http://www.windowatch.com/2003/images/naef/cakewalk9_6_6.gif'>

http://www.windowatch.com/2003/images/naef/cakewalk9_6_7.gif'>

http://www.windowatch.com/2003/images/naef/cakewalk9_6_8.gif'>

http://www.windowatch.com/2003/images/naef/cakewalk9_6_9.gif'>

http://www.windowatch.com/2003/images/naef/cakewalk9_6_10.gif'>

I lost my cd for reason 2.5. Does anyone know where I can get the no cd crack? I'm not paying for this shit all over again and I can't find it anywhere (warezp2p has been my main source of inquiry, and I find the shit but all of the connections are poor and it just says connecting and never actually connects)

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by PalestineOne

everyone and their grandmothers a producer/dj now a days.

pretty much. the equipment to do so is so damn cheap, anyone can get started.

let me brake it down:

if you go soft. get reason and either ACID PRO, or PRO TOOLS, if your computer savy try LOGIC. project 5 is cool but i wouldn't fork the cash out for it. personally i use CUBASE SX PRO TOOLS ACID and RESON along with my hardware.

if you do hardware:

DO NOT BUY THE DR SAMPLE...that thing sucks soooo muck dick.

listen to corpon, get an AKAI MPC.

Shadow uses that and nothing else,if he can make all that shit on one perice of equipment...so can you, its the best.

or you can try the korg electribe sampler(the green one) its pretty cool too.

hey (no subject)- usually if you really bought reason and didn't pirite it in the first place, after instalation, you shouldn't need the CD every time. unless you told it not to instal the sound banks on to you comp.

unless you have the soundbanks...you cant do much of anything with reason, and those are about a gig for both and are hard to find a reliable download. if you have the serial number, call propellerheads US branch and they might hook it up real cheap with replacements

furthermore i treat music the way a lot of people treat graffiti, don't ask a million goddamn questionsAND YOU DONT NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL FOR THIS SHIT(if you are, decide to major in it only after you've been doing it for a long time).., try shit, go to guitar center and play with EVERY THING. teach yourself a couple things. get involved in your local music scene and make friends with people that do want you want to do, learn from them.

Originally posted by 8onus

DO NOT BUY THE DR SAMPLE...that thing sucks soooo muck dick.

listen to corpon, get an AKAI MPC.

Shadow uses that and nothing else,if he can make all that shit on one perice of equipment...so can you, its the best.

or you can try the korg electribe sampler(the green one) its pretty cool too.

Like I said earlier, Madlib uses the Dr. Sample for all of his hip hop shit right now.... if you dont need all the crazy MIDI shit, know how to handle your samples and have rhythm, you will be able to rival stuff done on MPCs without a problem. Shit, it costs a fraction of the MPC, and with a 64MB card suddenly has about 10 times the sample time of an MPC. I've played about with one of these, and I can vouch for the fact that if you know how to use them they are fucking amazing for the price. Mine should be getting here within the next month...

But lets just clear something up, the 303 won't do all your flashy commercial style beats... the 303 will do raw beats, of the loop + break type... simple but effective.

Originally posted by Spike

Like I said earlier, Madlib uses the Dr. Sample for all of his hip hop shit right now.... if you dont need all the crazy MIDI shit, know how to handle your samples and have rhythm, you will be able to rival stuff done on MPCs without a problem. Shit, it costs a fraction of the MPC, and with a 64MB card suddenly has about 10 times the sample time of an MPC. I've played about with one of these, and I can vouch for the fact that if you know how to use them they are fucking amazing for the price. Mine should be getting here within the next month...

But lets just clear something up, the 303 won't do all your flashy commercial style beats... the 303 will do raw beats, of the loop + break type... simple but effective.

well....im really glad you played with it...i owned it...it blew...and if you think that you could ever expand thedr sample enough to compare with an MPC..wake up. plus the sample ratte on those things suck and are not consistant, its a fucking toy. you can get an MPC from ebay pretty cheap or finance it from a retailer intrest free. that thing is the ru paul of samplers.

Yeah, I dunno.. saying becauuse Madlib or

Shadow can work a simple piece of equipment

into something better than average doesn't

hold much weight... those guys know their

way around a machine. Hell, Richard D. James

could probably do some damage on an Alesis SR-16.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube

Yeah, I dunno.. saying becauuse Madlib or

Shadow can work a simple piece of equipment

into something better than average doesn't

hold much weight... those guys know their

way around a machine. Hell, Richard D. James

could probably do some damage on an Alesis SR-16.

uh...well u can make music with anything. fuck..id use trash cans for beats(i actually have)...but the point is that the dr sample is a peice of crap compared to the MPC...thats a fact, just look at its specs, and i say this from experience. your shit will sound better on an MPC.

Archived