Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

DIY TATTOOS/TATTOO KITS

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by GoBiloe, Feb 20, 2002.

1. GoBiloe

GoBiloe Guest

right, so i want to start doing tattoos... can anyone help me out on where to get a tattoo *machine*? (i think they might be illegal if you don't have a certificate or something)
    im interested in general info about people get started. i hear you have to go through an apprenticeship but just getting the *machine* and doing it up for people i know seems easier...
    i don't know much about this but i have people who are willing to be tattooed by my incompenent ass and it's really funny so i want to get on that shit.

THANKS KIDS!

oh also post a description of the worst tattoo you or your friends have gotten / done on someone.
    my friend has a roll of toilet paper on his ankle... and a blue cartoon whale on his wrist.

2. Are2

Are2 Guest

tattoo magazines advertise starter kits through the mail...just look in the classifieds in the back

all three of my tattoo artists have told me they used to practice on grapefruit..supposedly the best thing (most like skin)

and yes, apprenticing is definitely the best way

whatever you do, be sure you know alll you have to about sterilization!!!!
    hepatitis is dangerous as well as other vd's...like aids

worst tattoo i've ever seen was a flick

the dude had a terrible wolf "portrait" on his arm

it was huge

it said " LONE WOOF "
    yes, i meant to misspell that

3. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

ok, first things first... if you want anyone to take you seriously, don't call it a gun, it's a machine. Now that that's over with, most of the machines that you can order are crap. They'll work, but not for very long, and they will never work well. Most tattoo supply companies (one of the places where you would buy a quality machine, as well as needles and all the other neccessities) require you to have a recommendation from someone who has an acount with them in order to give you an account. That is one advantage to apprenticing. The other reason to apprentice is that tattooing is a lot different than just drawing. Imagine drawing on paper that moves. You need to laern what to do when reach a part of skin that doesn't wanna puncture, or simply how deep to lay yer line. Not to say that no one can learn these things on their own, but if yer on yer own then yer gonna leave a lot of fucked up tattoos and a lot of nasty scars in yer wake. As for machines, you can get shitty, cheap kits in almost any tattoo magazine, just look for ads. But if you want a good machine try checking e-bay or something. Look on the web and you really shouldn't have to much trouble finding used equipment. just make sure yer getting everything you need: machines, power supply, clip cords, foot switch... also look for a supplier of already made, already sterilized needles. another advantage of apprenticing is you would learn to make needles, which is impossible to learn really, without having someone there teaching you...

so, long story short: yes, you can get equipment and teach yourself, but i would highly recommend getting an apprenticeship.:)

4. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

there was a guy that used to live in my neighborhood that did home made tattooes with a home made gun...they were horrible..I was 13 and stil thaught were hirrble. a friend of mine let him tattoo a sun on him and I laughed so hard. The guy could not do ANY color work and there were so many blownout lines....If you want to get into tattooing become an apprentice. or I will point and laugh t you.

5. platapie

platapie Guest

peopel are willing to let you do this to them? and oyou have no experience? these people are so stupid i cant imagine how dumb they might possibly be.

6. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

I think the name of one is Huck Spaulding or something based out of the NorthEast. I can't remember. Fuck that I would try out tatts on me. All I ever done is 3 dots a couple of places and a line with a needle wrapped with sewing thread to experiment. Good luck finding friends to let you practice.

7. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

some guy was on my nuts soooo bad,

he was willing to let me use his body to practice anything i wanted...he was dead serious and i had to tell him no after many times...
    i would have fucked him up....i couldnt do it..

8. vinyl junkie

spaulding and rogers enterprises... just one of the great suppliers that require a recommendation... :eek:

9. garcia_vega

garcia_vega Elite Member

my advice to buying a starter kit is..DON"T BOTHER! get an appenticeship, if you can't find one, try harder. you need to get an apprenticeship, because you won't realize how much you need to learn until someone teaches it to you. did you know you can spread hepititis c by not covering your clip chord in barrier film, or not covering your spray bottles? did you know that if you don't clean new needles in an ultrasonic that any flux acid left on them from the soldering process can cause an allergic reaction? or would you know how to handle it if someone passed out on you, puked, had an allergic reaction to a pigment you used on them etc... this is all shit you'll learn in a good apprenticeship, and it's not going to be in one of those stupid learn to tattoo videos or "tattooing a to z" by huck spaulding. what if your tube is spitting or you blow a capacitor in the middle of a tattoo-what do you do? i've seen the capacitor blow up, and the client passed out all in the same job. you wont be able to handle shit like that without an apprenticeship, and if you're not prepared for any possible problem that may arise, you should not be tattooing anyone. and if you ignore my advice, you could end up fuckin up your own career before it even starts because you know what people do with tattoos--they show them off. and if you do a bunch of real shitty ones, who's gonna want to get any more work from you?

part2: how do i get an apprenticeship--
    go around to tattoo shops, hopefully ones where you like the work they do, show them your artwork, kiss their ass, then prepare to spend a year being the bitch, fetching lunch, scrubbing toilets, mopping floors, making needles--i know it seems harder but trust me you're gonna make it 10 times harder on yourself trying to work from a starter kit.

10. vinyl junkie

hahaha!
    well, at least he didn't piss his pants too... that always sucks. (i bet this was all on a tiny little piece too, huh...)

11. GoBiloe

GoBiloe Guest

wow, i didn't know ANY of that shit... but i definitely appreciate hearing it! do you think there is any way to be enrolled in school full time and do a tattoo apprenticeship? it sounds like a fulltime deal... thanks for your insight dude, i may email you if you don't mind.
    peace

12. vinyl junkie

that's the bitch part about apprenticeships... no pay, and yer there full time. if you work a school schedule right you can do both, but then there's the money issue... it's tough, but it can be done... good luck!

13. vinyl junkie

"a to z" was one of the biggest wastes of time in my whole life... that thing was useless. i've never heard of anyone making needles the way they do in that book...

14. bug

bug Guest

i'm no expert, but a few years ago i asked a really good tattoo artist to be apprenticed and he liked my work, but i was going to school full time, and he said the only way to get good is to do it regularly and frequently, and if i wan't going to give it 100% of my attention i'll never be good, and he wouldn't waste his time on me. like other people said, you have to be at a shop full time, you have to be the bitch. its the best way

15. otto dix

otto dix Veteran Member

just dont bother with any of it. honestly.