divorce

ubejinxed

so i dunno if any of you remember my thread about marriage or thinking about it a while ago..... but anyways...

it's done..got my final and absolute divorce this week..... and i'm so glad.... the process sucked, obviously,.... but it's good to be done. it's amazing how bad the wrong person in your life can make it..

well i was wondering if any of you have gone through it.... any great stories horror.. etc....

but ya'll are probably too young or what not..

anyways here's some fine stats on divorce:

http://www.divorcemag.com/statistics/statsUS.shtml

(2002 except where noted) Total divorces granted in 1997: 1,163,000 Rate per 1,000 population (1999):

(excluding CA, CO, IN and LA)

4.1 State with the lowest divorce rate: (1997) Massachusetts. Rate per 1,000 population: 2.4 State with the higest divorce rate: Nevada. Rate per 1,000 population: (1997) 9.0 Percentage of population that is married: 59% (down from 62% in 1990, 72% in 1970) Percentage of population that has never married: 24% Percentage of population that is divorced: 10% (up from 8% in 1990, 6% in 1980) Percentage of population that is widowed: 7% Median age at first marriage: Males: 26.9

Females: 25.3 Median age at first divorce: Males: 30.5

Females: 29 Median age at second marriage: Males: 34

Females: 32 Median age at second divorce: Males: 39.3

Females: 37 Median duration of first marriages that end in divorce: Males: 7.8 years

Females: 7.9 years Median duration of second marriages that end in divorce: Males: 7.3 years

Females: 6.8 years Median number of years people wait to remarry after their first divorce: Males: 3.3 years

Females: 3.1 years Percentage of married people who reach their 5th, 10th, and 15th anniversaries: 5th: 82%

10th: 65%

15th: 52% Percentage of married people who reach their 25th, 35th, and 50th anniversaries: 25th: 33%

35th: 20%

50th: 5% Percentage of people who have ever been married by the age of 25: Males: 32%

Females: 50% Percentage of people who have ever been married by the age of 35: Males: 77%

Females: 84% Percentage of people who have ever been married by the age of 45: Males: 87%

Females: 90% Percentage of people who have ever been married by the age of 55: Both males and females: 95% Likelihood of new marriages ending in divorce in 1997: 43% Percentage of all householders who are unmarried in 2000: 48% Percentage of weddings which are remarriages for at least one partner in 1997: 43% Percentage of first marriages that end in divorce in 1997: 50% Percentage of remarriages that end in divorce in 1997: 60% Percentage of divorced women who remarry within five years as of 1995: 54% Estimated average length of divorce proceedings in 1997: 1 year Percentage of African American adults in this age group never married in 1998: 53% Percentage of households occupied by one person in 2000: 25.5% Percentage of population (by area of US) who had never married in 1999: Midwest: 28%

Northeast: 28%

South: 26%

West: 29%

a brief article (not necessarily my views)

What is the current divorce rate in the United States? Has the divorce rate changed much over the past 5 to 10 years?

The divorce rate in the United States has generally been going up throughout the 20th century until its peak in the late 1970s. The rate of divorce has been slowly declining since that peak. In the most recent data, there were about 20 divorces for every 1,000 women over the age of 15. This number is down from about 23 divorces per 1,000 women in 1978, but it is still significantly greater than the rate of divorce during the 1950s. At that time, the rate of divorce was about 5 per 1,000 women.

The divorce rate has been climbing in every industrialized country in the world. There are two significant factors affecting the rising divorce rate in the United States and elsewhere: (1) men and women are less in need of each other for economic survival, and (2) gains made in birth control allow men and women to separate sexual activity from having children.

A variety of factors are producing the current leveling off of the divorce rate. We may be at the end of the effects produced by the emergence of reliable birth control in the 1960s, but there are also other factors. Our population is aging, and in general longer marriages are more likely to remain intact. Also, more young people are cohabiting rather than getting married. The breakup of this kind of relationship does not get recorded as a divorce.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i was married for about 2 yrs.... i married for love... but him i think for his papers.... enh...

so glad it's over... on to bigger and better things

and the dog and the bike??? my life (besides school) they helped me keep it together...

alure you're not local anymore hhuh....

congrats ube. i've already told ya i've been there once myself.

the main problem with getting mine done was initially my ex-wife was supposed to be paying for it. the only problem with that was that once we went our seperate ways she went from being the most responsible and dependable person i knew to being comepletely hopeless. i have absolutely no idea how this happened, but it did.she ended up homeless for a period, stuck in the south of france. after that she hopped from job to job, and kept getting fired (which was really unlike her because she always excelled at work). i have a feeling that when she went back to france and was hanging around her friend sandrine again she ended up on drugs. i know sandrine had been through rehab a couple times for heroin, so i'm not sure if that was it. i'm pretty sure she was hitting pills and stuff too.

long story short, i ended up footing the bill and having to do the court thing. it was a major pain in the ass being that she was so flakey, and also lived on the other side of the planet, so getting the paperwork together was a long and painfull process. so about 2 years after the fact it was finally handled, and i never have to worry about keeping track of her again. she can go off and od or whatever and follow both her parents to the grave doing the same shit they were doing. whatever

i was married for about 2 yrs.... i married for love... but him i think for his papers.... enh...

so glad it's over... on to bigger and better things

and the dog and the bike??? my life (besides school) they helped me keep it together...

alure you're not local anymore hhuh....

im sorry to hear that. for the papers that is. what happens to him now? does he have to go back his country? does he get to keep his u.s. citizenship?

im glad you're being optimisic about this whole thing, staying strong and keeping your head up. you're doing the right thing, concentrating on the good stuff.

no im not local no more, i'm in canada

im sorry to hear that. for the papers that is. what happens to him now? does he have to go back his country? does he get to keep his u.s. citizenship?

im glad you're being optimisic about this whole thing, staying strong and keeping your head up. you're doing the right thing, concentrating on the good stuff.

no im not local no more, i'm in canada

uh since our marriage didnt last the necessary amount of time, 2 yrs after he got his conditional green card, and he would've had to apply to have the conditions removed to get the 10yrs.. it gets revoked and he's gonna have to get a lawyer....

he drew out the divorce process as long as possible to try to get more married time so it would look good for the INS (or whatever they call it now)

so yeah.. i'm done, and he's not gonna keep the card unless he gets on it.. and he's a lazy ass sooooooooo... maybe not...

and abracadara.... yeah it's a great feeling to be done even if you go through some shit.... let her be on her own...

DIVORCEE PARTY!!!!!!

with the ease of getting a divorce and the general disrespect for the institution of marriage these days makes me not want to even bother. It kind of ruins the whole thing for me.

But if things go bad, they go bad. Congrats.

word....

i dont think i'll be getting married again...... perhaps cohabitation

this whole thing ruined my outlook/perspective on marriage....

yeah, cohabitation can be good i think. not so messy if things go south. and after awhile you can get the same or close to the same benefits as married people. well, at least in canada.

and on the sex tip, yo, things gotta be fucking good in the sack. i was thinking about this the other day, theres no way i can even think about dating long term, let alone marrying, anyone if the sex isn't up there in my top 3. Picky? i don't think so.

and on the sex tip, yo, things gotta be fucking good in the sack. i was thinking about this the other day, theres no way i can even think about dating long term, let alone marrying, anyone if the sex isn't up there in my top 3. Picky? i don't think so.

hahaha forreal i think i got trapped by the sex.... !! DOH!