discussion on guy debord and the situationists.

Guest !!!

so i finished reading some of buford youthward's articles (http://www.graffiti.org/byline/index.html), and i couldn't help noticed some similarities with a lot of the stuff written by the french situationists.

a lot of the same points being bought up.

the idea of a derive, a experimental mode of behavior synced with ones postion in certain controlled enviroments. the detourment, as past and present artistic conception into a single superior environmental construction.

it's not to say modern day graffiti took anything from the situationists, if anything this is just a mere coincidence, but a lot of the same things are pretty much bought to the table.

???

august spies, i noticed your situationists quote. you must have some ideas on this.. ???

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i can't say that i know a whole lot about the situationists, but i have read some work about and by guy debord.

in debord's Society of the Spectacle, he emphasizes modern culture's reliance upon "The Spectacle." in other words, our laws, personal interactions, institutions, and pretty much every part of our culture are based upon a society where everything is a product. we live to consume.

Guest imported_sofarok

i was goin to wirte my ba dissertation on them, there ideas on the urban polotick and detournment theory all makes an intresting read for a graff writer. they felt very strongly that if you a part of an urban enviroment it is your right to adapt it how ever you see fit.

i was going to use graffs organci development as a way of proving this theory.

Archived