Discussion about prison conditions

KaBar

A day or two ago I got into a discussion about prison on the wrong forum (Trainspotting) and I wanted to make a point, but in the right place. This is an article from the Houston Chronicle, published today about a prison brawl resulting in the murder of an inmate yesterday.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metr...politan/1321543

The point is that the other poster was saying prison isn't really all that rough if you can handle yourself, and so on. I disagree.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

Yeah, i agree with you, handling your self may put you in a better place than others but still, prison is prison.

Lets not even discuss what 'handling your self' means among heavy criminals.

I dont know, some people may be going through prison nicely when their 'free' life was about the same as inprisoned. I mean for a hardcore criminal is pretty much the same, what i can stand is people that go in for small stuff, or even worse people that fucked up with money...

imagine your average Joe that tried to pull a fraud and blowed in his face or even owed so much money that he faced the bars...

Crime is crime some might say, but really no small crook deserves this.

Guest professor poopatronic

so for all you guys that have been to prison, what exactly does "handling yourself" consist of? does that just mean that you are willing to throw down when people try to fuck with you or is there more to it?

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

The drug war is a real sham, and it's filling up the prisons with nonviolent people whose only crime was against their own body - if that. (In many cases, not all, obviously.)

no shit, and now, drug users are supporting terrorists...

Guest willy.wonka

i didnt read anything,but.....

im in my cell right now...beer on tap...constant flow...big screen tv and my own little computer lab...life is great..uh oh...he comes the nightly hookers...brb...

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

It's called US Government Propaganda. They're trying to claim that some terrorist groups sell drugs to raise money for explosives, so if you buy drugs you're supporting terrorism.

thanks for breaking that down. I dont see how though, most US drugs are grown in US, and most terrorist cells are foreign. and this would be a campaign for the legalization of some drugs (so the government could make and tax them), so we wouldnt be supporting terrrorist cells. The government is so hypocrytical. Bayer (yes the aspirin company) fucking invented heroin. The governement sent the cia to fucking plant crack in the black ghettos, it was their attack against the nonviolent movement that the african americans were winning. life is stupid, whatever

Guest willy.wonka

on the oriely factor...

he was complaining that we have more than enought troops fighting in afganistan...get those other guys and "harvest" the opium...

this is my country and i want my military to go and do something..not take cars apart and put them back together like my friend does in texas

our country is going way into debt...what do we do about it?we buy our army men and women berrets...

I know someone that works at Furgeson Unit--that's maximum security. The inmates there are 90% between 18-24. They call it "the Gladiator Farm." When a disturbance happens, he's part of the SORT team that suits up in body armor and goes to hose them down with capiscium spray and beat ass with batons. You guys cannot imagine the sort of horrible shit that goes on in there. From the time the alarm horn sounds until the SORT team arrives is usually seven minutes. When they arrive at the location, they rack the door and commence to kicking ass. My guy has seen people stabbed, beaten, raped, slammed in cell doors, you name it. Prison is one violent, horrible place. Anybody associated with a gang is housed in Ad Seg. Anybody who injures another inmate gets a disciplinary hearing, and sometimes more jail time if they are convicted. One guy smashed up a bunch of windows and lights and got three years more time. Another guy makes little human figures out of his shit and lines them up on the cell bars. It is some very, very negative shit. The big ones prey on the weaker ones. If you aren't 270 pounds and rock hard muscle, you are in some deep shit.

from my personal experiences on the united states prison system, i have formed the opinion that it is basically corporate genocide...as in its borderline in violating human rights by exposing people to cruel and unusual punishment, its currently a for profit industry, the majority of people incarcerated are non violent rehabilitable offenders and the most often result of a lengthy pen bid is far more in favor of said individual returning for corporate profit at taxpayer expense. its racist laws that target every body but upper white middle class....

and if you thinks its bad here.....................................

The people who usually wind up in prison are people who aren't paying attention to what's going on around them. They don't know what the law says, and they really don't care whether or not something is against the law. People who get arrested and charged with a misdemeanor and have to go before a judge and are scared shitless are not the kind of people that wind up in prison. It's the guy who thinks "Fuck this judge. I'm going to do whatever I want," who winds up going to jail. Or, when the judge gives him probation, thinks "This judge is a punk--I knew they couldn't do shit to me. Probation officer. Fuck that."

That's who winds up in prison--the guy who got busted and continues to smoke pot. The guy who got probation and blows off the appointments. The guy who is going up for his third arrest on assault & battery, or his third arrest for carrying an illegal, prohibited weapon. It's like, GET A CLUE, FELLA.

Yes, the law can make you do what they want. They have the right and the authority and the power to outlaw certain behavior. If you get caught engaging in something that the State said "No" to, you are going to get punished. If you don't want to get punished, AVOID THE BEHAVIOR. Shit, how hard can this be? Just don't fucking do it.

As for tthe criminal justice system being some genocidal scam, I don't think so. If you choose to not play by the rules: you don't study, you don't learn in school, you don't get an education, then you won't or can't get a job. If you can't get a job, you can't make a living, you wind up being poor and broke, just like they said you would. If you are poor and broke and along comes an easy, but illegal, way to make bucks and you succumb to the temptations, then you are straight up in the target area. Eventually, you will be arrested, convicted and sentenced. Like the story said--thirty YEARS for delivery of cocaine. Right, wrong, fair, unfair, none of it means a damned thing if you get arrested and sent to jail. The only way to fix it is to NEVER do anything that would get you busted.

alot of shit happens in the pen that goes un reported, and yeah you do have to fend for your self. theres alot of politics there, the whites stick with whites, bikers with bikers, asians with asians, blacks with blkacks, natives with natives, i only went to juvy, it was like a daycare, but ive heard bad stories about the pen, if you can fight youll be alright, or if you stick to your group youll have back up just do what the corwd does and youll do your time and leave. but i couldnt deal with some of the shit that goes on in there, god have i heard stories. i think the govt needs to do something about it. they let too much slide. your a criminal but you still have basic human rights.

Yup, I can't say I disagree with you there. I don't think prisoners should be permitted to lift weights, especially not maximum security prisoners. In fact, in Texas, they aren't permitted to lift weights in maximum security, because they are locked down 23 hours a day in a cell by themselves. But if you do 1,000 push-ups a day, guess what? Anybody who even considers breaking the law should be a fanatical weight-lifter, boxer and karate fighter. But even Billy Bad Ass can't fight ten guys. And when they get him down, and get his pants off, it's Pussy Boy time. Go ahead, all you gangsta's. JUST DO WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT. You be bad, right? The sexual predators up at the prison farm need some fresh puss. And when you get there, it's Prom Night.

Guest EAST_BAY_G

SHIT. PRISON IS BAD. I WOULD NEVER WANT TO GO THERE. MY DAD HAS BEEN IN AND OUT OF PRISON 7 TIMES. MY UNCLES BEEN LOCKED UP FOR 16 YEARS SERVING 15 TO LIFE. MY COUSIN IS IN CAMP GETTING OUT THIS MONTH. MY HOMEBOYS AND SOME OF MY OTHER UNCLES AND COUSINS HAVE BEEN INCARCERATED. IT'S TERRIBLE, YOU KNOW? ALWAYS CONSTANTLY ON THE LOOK OUT FOR SHANKINGS, RUMBLES AND SHIT. I REMEMBER HEARING "THE WALL IS YOUR BEST FRIEND" FROM A LOT OF PEOPLE. PLUS WHEN YOU GOT FAMILIA LOCKED UP IN THE PINTA IT'S HARD RECEIVING THEM LETTERS FROM THEM. IF I EVER GOT PUT IN THERE FOR LIFE, SHIT, I'D BE EITHER SLEEPING HALF THE TIME OR SHANKING SOME PUNK. THE THING THAT PISSES ME OFF THE MOST IS THAT NOW IN CALIFORNIA IS IF YOU GOT 15 TO LIFE YOU AUTOMATICALLY RECEIVE LIFE. THAT SHIT'S UNREAL. HAVING MY UNCLE WHO I'VE NEVER EVEN HAD A CHANCE TO MEET UP WITH PERSON TO PERSON LOCKED UP IN PRISON FOR LIFE? MOST LIKELY TO NEVER SEE HIM OUT OF THERE. THAT'S WRONG. I'D GIVE ANYTHING TO GET HIM OUT OF THERE. I GOT A HOMEBOY WHO MIGHT RECEIVE 18 YEARS AND HE'S ONLY 16/17 YEARS OLD. DAMN MAN, THIS SHIT IS CRAZY. FUCK THESE FAGGOT ASSES WHO STAMPED THEM GUILTY.

QUE VIVA PURO NORTENOS!

East Bay G---Yeah, you're right, it IS fucked up that your friends and your family members dissed the rules of the biggest, baddest ass gang on earth--the United States Government. You need to check out the truth staring you straight in your face. BREAK THE RULES AND THE STATE WILL FUCK YOU UP BIG TIME. A beat down like you never saw it your life. Don't be whining, man. You were told. Everybody was told. THE GOVERNMENT RUNS IT, not a bunch of weenie ass law breakers. So if you don't want them kicking your ass all around the mother fucking block, you better obey the goddamn rules. Get it? Otherwise, they will send their cops to kidnap you, and beat you senseless and hold you captive in one of their little headquarters. They will tear gas you and shoot you full of holes, take every dime you ever made and then some. And if the cops can't handle it, they'll send the Army. So wake the fuck up. The Government is THE MAFIA and all you gangsters' shit is weak as baby piss. Stand clear, and SHOW RESPECT or prepare to get your shit fucked UP.

I can't think of any way to make this any clearer for you. It seems pretty simple, really. Obey the law, or pay the price. How hard is that? Understand? You are living in THEIR 'hood, not the other way around.

Guest EAST_BAY_G

DAMN FOOL YOU SOUND ALL FUCKING SCARED OF THE GOVERNMENT. FUCKING KISSING THEIR ASS AND SUCKING UP TO THEM. YOU'RE A BITCH. SHIT, MY UNCLE AND HOMEBOY WERE FALSELY ACCUSED. YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT HOMEBOY. MY WHOLE FAMILY GANG BANGS AND SHIT BUT THAT'S NOT WHY ANY OF THEM GOT LOCKED UP. THEY DON'T DO STUPID SHIT. I STILL BELIEVE HE'S GOING TO GET OUT ONE DAY. I'M NOT LOSING HOPE. TRYING NOT TO THINK NEGATIVE. FUCK THIS SHIT. FUCK THE POLICE (NO I AIN'T NWA) AND FUCK THE GOVERNMENT!

You're pissed off at the wrong guy, East Bay G. You need to take a long look at the behavior of the people that are SITTING BEHIND BARS IN PRISON. Afraid of the Government? You're fucking-a skippy right I'm afraid of the Government. If you break their rules they will come KILL you. Are you mentally retarded or something? Your baby piss gangs in East Bay can't even keep their people out of jail. The United States Government RUNS IT. You guys are punks to the hilt. Keep on dissing them, hell you'll ALL be in jail, sniveling and moaning about how it's not fair. You better wake up, dumb ass. THEY GOT THE POWER TILL THE END OF TIME. You ain't got shit.

Guest EAST_BAY_G

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU PUTO? I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANY OF YOU FAGGOTS BUT YET YOU ALL SEEM TO ACT LIKE YOU BITCHES KNOW ME. FUCKING JOTOS TALKING ALL THIS GANG OF SHIT. BABY PISS GANGS? BLOOD YOU'VE NEVER BEEN HERE TO SAY THAT.

WE HAVE SETS IN OAKLAND, FREMONT, NEWARK, UNION CITY, HAYWARD, SAN LEANDRO, SAN LORENZO AND THE REST OF THE CITIES OVER HERE IN THE EAST BAY.

DON'T GIVE A FUCK (NORTENOS FROM HAYWARD)

WEST END NEWARK (NORTENOS FROM NEWARK)

A STREET HAYWARD (NORTENOS FROM HAYWARD)

SOUTH HAYWARD PIRUS (PIRUS FROM HAYWARD)

ALL KNOWN PIRU (PIRUS FROM HAYWARD)

COMPORAMOS LOCOS (NORTENOS FROM HAYWARD)

VARRIO GRANDE DECOTO (NORTENOS FROM UNION CITY)

ALL BROTHERS TOGETHER (BLACKS, ASIANS AND WHITES FROM UNION CITY)

UNION CITY VIETNAMESE (VIETNAMESE FROM UNION CITY)

HORNY BOY CRIPS (CRIPS FROM UNION CITY)

YOUNG NORTENO GANGSTERS (NORTENOS FROM UNION CITY)

SOUTH GARDEN SURENOS (SURENOS FROM HAYWARD)

LITTLE DECOTO GANGSTERS (NORTENOS FROM UNION CITY)

BARRIO OF OLD ALVARADO (NORTENOS FROM UNION CITY)

ATV (SURENOS FROM UNIO CITY)

BAIN STREET (SURENOS FROM NEWARK)

WEST 20th STREET (NORTENOS FROM ANTIOCH)

B STREET HAYWARD (SURENOS FROM HAYWARD)

DANGEROUS GUAMANIUM FAMILY (BLOODS FROM HAYWARD)

33rd STREET NORTENOS (NORTENOS FROM OAKLAND)

RICHMOND SUR TRECE (SURENOS FROM RICHMOND)

VARRIO OF NORTH FREMONT (NORTENOS FROM FREMONT)

SOUTH SIDE FREMONT (NORTENOS FROM FREMONT)

C14 (CRIPS FROM PRISON AND OUT ON THE STREETS OF THE EAST BAY)

NEUSTRA FAMILIA (NORTENOS FROM PRISON AND OUT ON THE STREETS OF THE EAST BAY)

NORTHERN STRUCTURE (NORTENOS FROM PRISON AND OUT ON THE STREETS OF THE EAST BAY)

AND A GANG OF OTHER SETS BUT SOME ARE PUNKS AND I GET ALONG WITH A LOT OF THEM THOUGH.

You are sitting here preaching to a bunch of GRaffiti Writers.... ie "lawbreakers". If someone feels strongly enough about what they are doing it doesn't matter if its against some law or not. I didn't agree to half these so called laws that we must abide by or "be killed".

Prisons don't just put away criminals. They're fucking workfarms, and in order to sustain themselves they breed hate and ignorance - with no intention of turning someone back into society with an uplifted attitude. My brief stint in jail (granted, not prison) proved all of this to me....and EVERY other woman in there was in for minor drug offenses. They weren't violent sociopaths like you make all prisoners out to be, but soon were numbed into submission - into believing that jail was a place they were destined to visit repeatedly.

Have you never done an illegal thing in your life that you can be so self rightous to preach around repeatedly as if you know everything about this world?

I Luv Roo---Your problem is that you have been basically riding for free. You've been doing as you please and skating out of the consequences. I don't give a fuck if East Bay G and his pathetic list of criminal losers break the law or not. If they get caught, THEY ARE GOING TO HELL ON EARTH. He said it himself, his uncles and cousins and homeboys are all locked up and very unhappy about it. I don't blame them---getting beat up, raped, misused by a bunch of the worst, most anti-social monsters to be found anywhere in the world is a BAD THING. If you don't want to go there, then don't break the law. It has nothing to do with me be self-righteous. It has to do with the young, inexperienced people on this board who have some crazy idea that somehow if they get busted they are going to magically get out of it.

East Bay G and the long list of gangs he posted are sitting ducks. Once the Government finally gets rolling, they are going to be hunting these people down like vampire killers. They THINK they are bad ass. They are nothing but somebody's prison bitch in training. All their gangster bullshit isn't going to help them ONE BIT when they get to jail. You people need to get real. If you don't want the inevitable consequences of arrest, trial, conviction and incarceration, you need to lead a LAW ABIDING LIFE. And if you choose not to do so, you are choosing to TAKE THE RISK OF LEGAL PUNISHMENT. Personally, I do my best not to do that, but feel free to do whatever you please. Before you break another law in your life, though, you need to go visit a jail, so you know exactly what you are risking. It is horrible. I guarantee you don't want to be there.

Prisons do not exist to give law breakers an uplifted attitude. Nobody gives a shit if they are rehabilitated or not. The prisoners are sent there to be PUNISHED and that is exactly what happens. "Rehabilitation" is not on the menu, and nobody gives a shit. Prisoners are sent there to be fucked over. And the prison system gives it to them in abundance.

That's the cold, hard, unvarnished truth. Make your own choices in the matter.

Originally posted by SwissMiss

ha...the way i feel about prison is like this....

if your stupid ass does some shit that gets you thrown in jail...you deserve whatever happens to you while you're there

Originally posted by KaBar

If you don't want to go there, then don't break the law. It has nothing to do with me be self-righteous.

Make your own choices in the matter.

..geez, have you guys forgotten about all the people who have been wrongfully imprisoned?

while i agree that prisons are for fuckups, and that they should be hell for those found guilty of violent offenses, our justice system is completely out of whack..you are forgetting that several races of people in this country are far more likely to be incarcerated than others, and that has more to do with money and social status than it does with guilt or innocence..

it sometimes is not as simple as "if you don't wanna go, don't break the law"

and, not all of our country's laws protect the innocent and punish the guilty..it is naive to think that everyone in prison belongs there..

by the way

i've been to prison, and pregnant women should not be treated like that, although they may be guilty, their babies aren't

..some of those girls were in there with domestic abuse problems.

.our society is so much more complicated than a solution like don't fuck up, and you won't get fucked.

Archived