DIEBENKORN.

High Priest

Richard Diebenkorn (1922–1992) is considered one of the premier American painters of the 20th century. Internationally renowned, Diebenkorn was recognized in the late 1940s as an important abstract expressionist painter and later became the leading figure of the Bay Area Figurative Movement in the 1950s. Throughout his impressive career, Diebenkorn maintained a strong aesthetic and intellectual foundation based on explorations of color, form and light for which he is so well-known.

By the late 1960s, Diebenkorn moved from the Bay Area to Southern California where for the next twenty years, the beachside community in which Diebenkorn lived, Ocean Park in Venice, CA, provided inspiration for a series of abstract paintings and drawings for which he is best known today.

DBK-052-400.jpg

DBK-041-400.jpg

DBK-046-400.jpg

g090a_diebenkorn_oceanpk54.jpg

g090b_diebenkorn_ocnpk114.jpg

diebenkorn-Untitled-6-SixSoftGrounds.jpg

aac_art_7401100ediebenkorn.jpg

58Diebenkorn.JPG

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Nutonce@Jul 20 2005, 06:27 PM

THIS AND ART SIMILAR TO IT AND ITS ILK ARE THE REASON WHY MY OWN SUCCESS IN ART WILL SUPERCEDE OR EQUAL WHAT HAS BEEN EXPOSED.

Try and deal w/ the "real" art world before you pop off on some gassed up shit. However I do commend you on the use of "Ilk". It shows that you may have the pretention needed to deal w/ lame ass gallery owners in Chealsea.

Mags... The MET has a few up in their permanent collection, but he had a retrospective at the Gugenheim about 8 years back, so I dought you will find a big show in NY any time soon.

Good to see someone bringing fine/studio art aesthetics to the graff enthusiasts.

Diebenkorn's stuff has been a great inspiration to me since the first time I saw one of his paintings. His technique is really thought provoking. Thanks for the post!

• 1 month later...

first of all, nice to see his work on this site, anyone who like his work should check out his early 50's work when him and the rest of the bay area people started to paint figuratively. going againest everything the newyork scene was about(abstract expressionism)...eventually the bay area people went absrtact. as you can see from these pieces. even when they worked abstractly. they were still working from life as we see in the ocean view series. my point is that 95% of the artist out there need a reality check. all this pop deco design crafty "artsy" shit is so bad. for me its not art, its "arts and crafts". diebenkorn was so ethical. he wasnt just putting squares of color together until he made a nice picture. these pieces were carefully thought out. he considered every aspect of his work. a true colorist, draftsman

• 4 weeks later...

Man...I just....don't...fucking...get it. The only one I like at all is the chair picture. You can say that the others "evoke images of dispare" or "show the artist's inner struggle for blah blah blah" but it's all...jesus. None of it makes sense and regardless of how you, the artist or anyone else explains stuff like this it's still a bunch of random lines and shapes and colors.

Diebenkorn-detail1.jpg

Honestly that looks like a rough draft or a sketch or some crap. Sorry but stuff like this is why I dispise the "art world" - abstract artists speaking of meaning and this and that :burn:

"Check me out - Dj'ing every thursday night, 10pm - Midnight EST for 2 hours of live drum and bass,hip hop, breaks, downtempo, etc. DJ Helix on Needle to the Groove - on WEXP radio."

Here's a good parallel. I mix as well, and I can't relate to drum and bass at all...it sounds like 60% of a song to me, sped up too fast, with random samples played over the top of that. However, some people says it works for them...fine with me.

[attachmentid=21661]

Here's a painting I did, well outside of the realm of graff. It has a message, even though I'm wide open to whatever interpretation people arrive at. It's to evoke a feeling, not neccessarily tell a story.

Diebenkorn said a lot with very little...much like drum and bass does.

A good contemporary of his would be Futura 2000.

I agree, a lot of what is in the gallery culture is blown way out of proportion. But, that shouldn't make you prejudical about all modern art. By definition, writers ARE postmodernists...

Image104.jpg.c7bd4ee40216afebb1e871e8e3be7b9c.jpg

ok ok...look, to understand diebenkorns later paintings which some people are calling ruff drafts, you first have to understand, hows many thousands of paintings hes made....PLEASE LOOK AT HIS FIGURATIVE WORK FROM THE 50'S. i dont even have to break it down...the works speaks for itself.

Originally posted by yakid@Sep 25 2005, 03:45 PM

ok ok...look, to understand diebenkorns later paintings which some people are calling ruff drafts, you first have to understand, hows many thousands of paintings hes made....PLEASE LOOK AT HIS FIGURATIVE WORK FROM THE 50'S. i dont even have to break it down...the works speaks for itself.

Yeah...what he said.

Sometimes, a haiku can say a lot in seventeen syllables.

Originally posted by geist@Sep 19 2005, 03:42 PM

Man...I just....don't...fucking...get it. The only one I like at all is the chair picture. You can say that the others "evoke images of dispare" or "show the artist's inner struggle for blah blah blah" but it's all...jesus. None of it makes sense and regardless of how you, the artist or anyone else explains stuff like this it's still a bunch of random lines and shapes and colors.

Honestly that looks like a rough draft or a sketch or some crap. Sorry but stuff like this is why I dispise the "art world" - abstract artists speaking of meaning and this and that :burn:

just trying to understand your view point. Are you saying that to be considered fine art there should be some level of ability shown through the piece? And that diebenkorn doesn't have this ability in your opinion?

lesson101.jpg

does this piece show technical ability that in your opinion may make it better than the others?